Best provisions for an overseas flight and business trip?

klack

I will be off my whole 30 and in the reintro phase when I leave for my trip in a few weeks, but want to be as healthy as possible while I'm there and not revert to my previous Cadbury addiction :).  Any good ideas for two long flights and a week in a hotel?  I'd like to bring some bars - what kind are best?  Nuts, obviously....what else?  Thanks!

Try packing something like a compliant jerky, jars of olives and pickles, jars of mixed veg in oil or brine, tinned fish, avocados. Maybe some hardier type veg like carrots & celery if you have access to a fridge on the hotel room.... That should be enough to throw together a compliant meal. I'd use nuts only in an emergency as they're not the best fat source, and I'd forget about the bars unless you're really stuck.

I assume you'll be able to shop for some bits & pieces once you get there, and have access to eggs, tomatoes etc for breakfast, then you'll be able to order steak or grilled fish with veg when you're out.

Try packing something like a compliant jerky, jars of olives and pickles, jars of mixed veg in oil or brine, tinned fish, avocados. Maybe some hardier type veg like carrots & celery if you have access to a fridge on the hotel room.... That should be enough to throw together a compliant meal. I'd use nuts only in an emergency as they're not the best fat source, and I'd forget about the bars unless you're really stuck.

I assume you'll be able to shop for some bits & pieces once you get there, and have access to eggs, tomatoes etc for breakfast, then you'll be able to order steak or grilled fish with veg when you're out.

If you're flying from the U.S., you won't be able to take anything over 5 oz. if it has liquid. Fresh fruits and veggies will also be out entirely, they will get confiscated at security and/or customs.  I'd check the current TSA regulations for what you can carry.

I'm about to leave for a very similar business trip - two travel days and a week in hotels.

My list of possible options to pack is:

• Jerky or beef sticks
  • Rx or Epic bars
  • Justin's Nut Butter packages
  • Almonds
  • Olives, small foil packs
  • Tuna packages
  • Kale chips
  • Dried fruit 
  • Hardboiled eggs (for travel day)

Good luck! Are you going for work or for pleasure? Don't sneak any Cadbury cream eggs into your carry-on!

Actually, Amy, the TSA site says you can bring fruit on the plane with you but it has to go through the X-ray machine. "Food must be wrapped or in a container. Unpeeled natural foods like fruit are okay, but half-eaten fruits must be wrapped." And here's a link to a helpful USA Today article on it.

The fruit thing depends. I travel to and from Hawaii, where I live, and there is absolutely no fresh fruit or vegetation of any kind or description allowed. I presume the same is true for any travel to a foreign country.

3.4 oz is even less than I thought - thanks for the heads up!!

Permitted 3.4 oz.

• Cranberry sauce
  • Cologne
  • Creamy dips and spreads (cheeses, peanut butter, etc.)
  • Gift baskets with food items (salsa, jams and salad dressings)
  • Gravy
  • Jams
  • Jellies
  • Lotions
  • Maple syrup
  • Oils and vinegars
  • Perfume
  • Salad dressing
  • Salsa
  • Sauces
  • Snow Globes
  • Soups
  • Wine, liquor and beer

"All food must go through the X-ray machine. Do NOT bring food to the security checkpoint unwrapped, as shown in the image on the right.

Food must be wrapped or in a container. Unpeeled natural foods like fruit are okay, but half-eaten fruits must be wrapped."

food.jpg

Thanks, AmyS. I missed the fact that the OP said his flight was overseas.

They didnt. They said it was a long flight which I assumed to be within the US which was why I mentioned the foods that I did.

I wasn't aware that US laws are different but certainly when flying from the UK and within the EU it's okay to take fresh foods on board. My parents fly very regularly and always bring a 'packed lunch' as they dislike airline foods.

The jars I was suggesting were more for packing in hold luggage, but obviously the vacuum packs of tuna or tinned fish, and small tubs of olives would work quantity wise for hand luggage.

Archived