100% dark (bakers) chocolate for fat source

ayeffem

Hello all! I read the rules and it looks like 100% dark chocolate is allowed, but mostly in sauces, etc... 

I've been eating pretty paleo for the past few years, and have developed a taste for 100% dark chocolate (ghirardelli's 100% dark baking squares, seen here: http://www.amazon.com/Ghirardelli-Chocolate-Baking-Unsweetened-4-Ounce/dp/B000H227SY).When I have it, I often eat it as a fat source during a meal. Would it be OK to have a square in this way during a Whole30, and not as a dessert or snack? A sample breakfast for me that includes this fat source looks like: 2 eggs in EVOO/butter with spinach or any dark leafy green, flax seeds, a square of ghirardellis chocolate, coffee, and water. Sometimes I'll add some more vegetables or berries to that if I have them fresh, as well. 

Thank you!

no. don't rely on squares of extra dark chocolate as a fat source. If you want to grind it and add it to a savory sauce that's fine, but eating squares of chocolate is not a habit we want you to keep up during the whole30.

your instinct to add more veggies to your breakfast is a good one. add enough to get to 1-3 cups total (cooked). Also add more protein. You should be aiming for a palm-size amount or more, so, if it's eggs have 3-4 eggs, 2 is not enough. If you don't want that many eggs at once you could add another protein source to this meal as well.

Fats

• Cooking fats: animal fats* including duck fat, goat fat, lard (pork fat), and tallow (beef fat), clarified butter*, ghee* (* – must be pastured or 100% grass-fed and organic), coconut oil, extra-virgin olive oil (cook at low heat for a short time only). Unrefined red palm oil is also good.
  • Eating fats and nuts: avocado oil, cashews, coconut butter, coconut meat/flakes, coconut milk (canned), hazelnuts/filberts, macadamia nuts, macadamia butter, olives (all)
  • Occasional nuts and seeds: almonds, almond butter, brazil nuts, pecans, pistachio
  • Limit nuts and seeds: flax seeds, pine nuts, pumpkin seeds/pepitas, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, sunflower seed butter, walnuts
  • Don’t use nuts, seeds, and nut butters as your primary fat source

Archived