Trout Amandine - Creole way

corriesail

This is a classic New Orleans recipe. I had been craving it for a while, and then started the whole 30 after we cought a bunch of trout - so I modified it! It is really fattening, but delicious!

4 Small or 2 large trout Filets (skin off) - almost any flaky white fish would do though

1 egg

1-2 cups almond flour

cajun seasoning (I use Tony's) - see below

1/2 cup slivered and blanched almonds

8 tbsp Ghee - dived in 2 (if not strictly doing Whole 30, I would sub 2 tbsp of real butter for flavor)

Juice of 1 lemon

2 tablespoons fresh parsley - minced

How to "bread" the fish filets

You need either 2 breading pans or 2 shallow dishes

-beat the egg in one dish

- mix the cajun seasoning and the almond meal in the other

- dip the fish in the egg, then in to the almond meal making sure to coat thoroughly.

In a large skillet melt 1/2 of the ghee over med/high heat

Add the filets and cook on each side until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the fish to a serving platter.

Add the remaining 4 tablespoons ghee to the same skillet over medium-high heat. Swirl the skillet over the heat so that the butter melts evenly and cook until the butter turns brownish - (since we aren't using real butter, it does not get really brown), 3-4 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium-low, add the almonds, and cook, stirring gently, until the nuts are toasty brown, about 2 minutes. Add the lemon juice, parsley, and a dash of salt.

Spoon the browned butter and almonds over the fish and serve.

If you want to make it really traditional, it is usually served with green beans - I do mine fresh and boil them in chicken stock with bacon added for flavor - Frozen beans work too as well!

If you don't live in the southern half of the country, and can't get cajun seasoning at the store, here is a recipe I have borrowed from a John Besh cookbook.

Basic Creole Spices

Makes 1/2 cup

2 tablespoons celery salt

1 tablespoon sweet paprika

1 tablespoon coarse sea salt

1 tablespoon freshly ground black pepper

1 tablespoon garlic powder

1 tablespoon onion powder

2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

½ teaspoon ground allspice

Mix together all spices in a bowl. Transfer the spices to a clean container with a tight-fitting lid. Store up to six months.

Archived