Post Whole 30 Mayo?

edgymama

Not sure if this is right forum for this, just wondering if those that have continued living a whole 30 style life have gone back to any commercial mayonnaise? Mayo is not something I have regularly anyway so just wondering if that would be something decent to have/use occasionally (kind of lobbing it with having ketchup again post whole 30). If so what commercial ones tend to be the best choice? I would assume the ones with the least amount of ingredients correct? The olive oil based ones too perhaps? 

Thanks for insight!

Commercial mayos have a number of ingredients I personally would rather avoid, and with home-made mayo being so quick & easy to make, & tasting so much better, I have & will continue to make my own.

Ditto to what jmcbn said.

Can't see any argument for store-bought mayo being better. So much easier to whip up a batch as needed, and you've got control over the ingredients, quantity, taste.

edgymama, especially since you say you don't use it much, why not just make it up as needed?

Also, your comment re: the olive oil based ones, are you referring to the Primal Kitchen or Tessamae's offerings? Because in your basic grocery aisle, the ones that proclaim "made with olive oil" still have canola and/or soybean oil in them, they just add a few drops of olive oil so they can advertise it on the label.

Ditto to what jmcbn said.

Can't see any argument for store-bought mayo being better. So much easier to whip up a batch as needed, and you've got control over the ingredients, quantity, taste.

edgymama, especially since you say you don't use it much, why not just make it up as needed?

Also, your comment re: the olive oil based ones, are you referring to the Primal Kitchen or Tessamae's offerings? Because in your basic grocery aisle, the ones that proclaim "made with olive oil" still have canola and/or soybean oil in them, they just add a few drops of olive oil so they can advertise it on the label.

Ahhh good to know! I hadn't even looked at any mayo to see what is in them and never knew that about the olive oil ones! Thanks for the insight folks, it sounds like I will continue to make it up as needed. :) Was just curious as to what other's have done, what they've brought back and haven't etc...thanks!

I was a life long mayo hater until I made my own when I started whole30. Now, I go out of my way to find reasons to eat my homemade stuff! So I'll join the ranks of those who stick with the homemade. And very happily so!

You also mentioned ketchup on your post- I recently made my first batch of kickass ketchup (well fed, or theclothesmakethegirl.com), and while it's taking my tastebuds sometime to adjust after 45 years of the sugar-laden stuff from the store, I'm going to stick with the homemade version of that too, on those rare occasions I want ketchup.

I personally didn't like homemade mayo. i just looked for a mayo with the least amount of non compliant items. when I did make the mayo and force myself to eat it I ended up throwing most of my money out!

You might want to play around with different recipes. There are lots of differences, and some might taste better to you than others--different oils, different types of acid, different proportions of ingredients all make a huge difference in taste. Almost all store-bought mayo has terrible oils, so better to avoid mayo entirely than resort to that IMO.

That said, if you don't like mayo anyway, there is no reason to force yourself to eat it! Just have some other fat you do like and move forward. 

I made Whole30 mayo yesterday and I HATE it.  The consistency is perfect, and the color is great.  The taste - bitter bitter bitter.   I need to find a different recipe.  I used a version from the Well Fed Paleo cookbook with extra virgin olive oil and mustard powder.  

Does anyone know of a good non-olive-oil recipe?   I have a batch of delicious salmon cakes waiting for some mayo.    

I actually liked the whole30 mayo (I used the lemon juice very sparingly though!) so yeah I will just plan on making some up if I am craving some deviled eggs or potato salad etc...(usually only time I have it)

I made Whole30 mayo yesterday and I HATE it.  The consistency is perfect, and the color is great.  The taste - bitter bitter bitter.   I need to find a different recipe.  I used a version from the Well Fed Paleo cookbook with extra virgin olive oil and mustard powder.  

Does anyone know of a good non-olive-oil recipe?   I have a batch of delicious salmon cakes waiting for some mayo.    

Extra virgin olive oil make terrible mayo. Many people use "extra-light" olive oil. Personally I use avocado oil (look for one that is light in color--not too green) and coconut oil. Macadamia nut oil is another good choice.

here's what Melissa Joulwan says right on her recipe:

4. Do not use expensive, fancy extra-virgin olive oil; the olive flavor is overpowering. I use the grocery store brand “light tasting” olive oil. It barely tastes like olives which is not so good for green salads, but is awesome for mayo. (You might try Filippo Berio or Bertoli.)

I have tried numerous recipes.....red wine vingegar, Garlic, lemon juice, garlic, cayenne....... I never played with oils. Just extra light tasting olive oil. Still blah. For the amount I use and as often as I use it. I'm good with store bought mayo. I am done my whole 30. Lost 11lbs feel fantastic!!! more energy, more control. Sugar dragon banished from my kingdom!  Riding my bike my way! still eating healthy, slowly reintroducing stuff and removing from daily life if need be.! Yeah Healthy me!

I used to love commercial mayo in my previous life, but now I am hooked on homemade. Couldn't live without it. If you really like mayo, but haven't yet made a batch you like, I would try a different brand of oil. I have found that some brands have a musty flavor (maybe it's also the age of the oil?) and some have hardly any flavor. I swear, the Goya brand light is the best, but it's hard to find, especially in large bottles. I also replace just 1/8 of a cup of the light with the EVOO, and that works great for me. Also, using WHITE balsamic vinegar instead of lemon gives it a completely different flavor, almost sweet. Enjoy experimenting, if you're into that!

Also, using WHITE balsamic vinegar instead of lemon gives it a completely different flavor, almost sweet. Enjoy experimenting, if you're into that!

LOVE this idea!  I will try it tonight when I make more mayo.  Day 30, and I see no reason to stop...

I just made a batch of mayo using extra virgin olive oil. I read after the fact to use a light olive oil. Is there any way to salvage this batch? Like making avocado mayo or using it for ranch dressing? Or should I just start over with the right oil?

I just made a batch of mayo using extra virgin olive oil. I read after the fact to use a light olive oil. Is there any way to salvage this batch? Like making avocado mayo or using it for ranch dressing? Or should I just start over with the right oil?

Not really any way to salvage it. You might be able to hide some of the flavor if you add enough spices to it. I like the creamy Italian dressing in Well Fed (balsamic + mayo + Italian spices) but do a small batch first to make sure you don't waste it if it doesn't work.

Archived