Reflections on Day 30 (6/22)... 2W30 will begin on 7/1! :)

sbrad28

Today is my 30th day on Whole30!!! I'm proud that I have followed it exactly as it is designed. Here are some reflections:

• Do I think it has been "life changing"? Probably, as I feel great and plan to incorporate many (almost all, actually) of the program guidelines long term.
  • A pescetarian can succeed on this program! (though I think I'm eating too many eggs)
  • Changes I have noticed include better sleep, a better sleep schedule, and I now dream (I don't know what this means, but I haven't remembered a dream for at least a decade); I feel more mentally sharp; I don't pass gas anymore (sorry, TMI?); water tastes "different" (again, I don't know what this means); my feet haven't swelled recently (I don't know why they were before, but my feet would sometimes look like balloons ready to pop; it was quite worrisome, frankly); my skin generally looks less puffy.
  • I'm excited to have a new relationship with food. I eat REALLY yummy food that I prepare. Although this takes time and the ingredients I buy are pretty pricey, I have grown to deeply appreciate the fact that I know all of the ingredients I put into my body on a daily basis. And I figure that I can spend time and money on being healthy now, or I can be forced to spend time and money later when health conditions surface. I eat three meals of nutritious food per day. I eat enough each meal to sustain me until the next meal. I eat quality ingredients. I honestly have eliminated most of my cravings. Unfortunately, I still think about a couple of foods/drinks often (beer, wine, ice cream), but I haven't missed cheese, chocolate, grains of any kind, or snacks really at all. I still struggle with wanting to graze when watching TV at night, writing, or reading (I'm in grad school).
  • I am really, really enjoying not tracking or measuring my food portions. Logically, this is something I struggle with, though. I know the benefits of tracking and the awareness it can produce, and I think I'd lose more weight if I were tracking. As someone who has struggled with her weight for a long time, I'm programmed to believe that one cannot eat in a healthy way (weigh? haha!) without imposing limits on their food. And I imagine that I will track again in the future. But while I was building a new relationship with food I was not to track anything, and I didn't. This worked for me, because it allowed me to focus on building my new relationship with food.
  • I've lost about four pounds in the 30 days. I'm on a mission to lose 100 lbs, so I wish it were more.

Since I still have some cravings and I still have so much to learn about nutrition and my relationship to food, I've decided to do another Whole30 almost right away. Starting July 1st I'll do my second W30. During 6/23-6/30 I plan to reintroduce a couple of foods to see how my body reacts to them (Greek yogurt!) but I'll basically be W30-compliant during this time. Then I'll be back on an authentic W30 on 7/1. Thanks for reading this! Best wishes to all of you!

This is awesome! Congrats on your first Whole30! I feel ya on the beer/wine/ice cream cravings though. When I am done with my Whole30, there are three things I plan to allow myself on an *occasional* basis (emphasis on the occasional!): wine, ice cream, and pizza. Everything else I can do without.

I also struggle with the urge to track and monitor intake, as a lifelong dieter. 1200 calories a day is absolutely stuck in my head and I haven't gotten rid of it yet, so I will do another Whole30 after I finish my current one to see if I can break that dieting addiction.

Good luck with your reintroduction week and on your second Whole30!

MrsMcG: Thanks so much for the vote of confidence and support! It sounds like we're in similar places with our W30 experiences. I wish you all the best with your journey, too! I also struggle with accepting the amount of fat that I'm eating. I've never eaten so much/many oil, avocados, coconut (in all its various forms) etc in my life! All my best to you!

Archived