Thinking about trying it

Mmerrick46

My name is Melanie and I have read the book "It starts with food"  and also recently read the new whole 30 cookbook.  I am 30 years old and recently married.  After the wedding I gained about 10-15 pounds and I feel very lethargic.  I was always an athlete and I continue to play women's soccer as a hobby.  I would like to get into better shape as well as feel better.  I have also struggled with acne since  junior high school. I have been to countless dermatologists and received countless treatments including Accutane and nothing has worked!  I swear it is probably something I am eating.  I would like to start this program and see if it helps.  I don't have a start date yet because I probably need to do some food prepping.  I am also an RN who works 12 hour shifts, so I am going to struggle with that.  Any advice?

Hey Melanie - welcome! I'm in day 9 of my first w30, so I don't have a ton of advice, but I do recall seeing a thread about nurses and how they planned their meals. I think maybe it was in the meal planning section. If I find it I'll

Come back and link it, but wanted to point you in the right direction at least.

Best of luck to you!

Hi Melanie...

I'm about to start my first 30, and had acne for years, nothing horrible, but it was a constant bother... In Junior high, I was using stridex or sea breeze, nothing prescribed, nothing worked... I don't remember the timeline, but I started drinking 8 glasses of water (8 oz)... One each hour I was active, and the acne mostly disappeared... (With no changes to diet, as I had no idea about anything you read here)

This was well before I knew anything about natural health, but was right after I read "Your Bodies many cries for water" by Dr. F. Batmanghelidj.... You can get the VERY detailed book on Amazon for $4 or so...

It was the launching pad so to speak for me, but I didn't figure it out until much later... (I also didn't write it down and keep track of anything... I'm Male)

My only advice about your schedule is to get a slow cooker if you don't have one... That just cant be beat, in my opinion

My only advice about you thinking about doing it is, the longer you think about it, the longer you will be a slave to health issues / Allopathic "medicine"

My only advice about the unknown is you may have a Herxheimer reaction, AKA a healing crisis... I did on several poorly planned elimination diets created by me with absolutely zero knowledge of anything... The first of which was before the Internet existed... Look up the term and understand it, but also know that you have the help here to make it, and YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Aaron

• 2 weeks later...

I am on Day 30 of my first W30 and will be rolling over into another as I still have things to accomplish.  If you're thinking of trying it, study that timeline in the book.  Take everything in it seriously, that first week is no joke!  If you can, arrange your start date so Day 2 and Day 3 fall on your days off.  Do NOT skimp on the animal fats and protein you need to train your body to burn.  You will seriously cause yourself to feel like you've been run over by a truck if you insist on only lean mean, that's not the point here, it's not a "diet" where you are deprived of food. :)

Food prep has been hard for me as well, I am on a 13 day on, 1 day off schedule, working 10 hour days.  If you can get into a routine of prepping your veggies and have time/space to pre cook the proteins it will make life SO much easier.  I always cook at least twice more than I know I'm going to eat for one meal so I have leftover to take for lunch the next day or to make meals out of and pop in the freezer to carry to work.  Whenever I have something to put in the oven, I throw in a couple extra sweet potatoes so I have them ready to make hash or have a mash with my protein and veg for the next meal.  Protein salads have been a lifesaver.  The mayo is so easy to make if you follow the directions exactly and can be spiced up in a variety of ways to keep the salads interesting.  Crock pots are your friend, big batch cooking while you are working and then divide into containers to carry/freeze. 

Do carry through with your initial planning and prepping - don't skip the goals and "what if" planning session.  I skimped on those the first time and had some major catch up to do.  After some help from the really great moderators on here to point out what I would have known if I'd paid closer attention to the book instead of skimming it, I started to feel really great.  (I also re-read the book and took more serious note of what was in there, lol)  This time around I have my journal ready, notes taken, food already prepped, etc. 

After 30 days I have definite improvements - steady energy, most days forget to drink my coffee, my hair is growing unbelieveably, my allergies?  GONE.  Sugar?  What is that? Don't know on the weight yet, can't weigh in and retake measurements until tomorrow.  Then I will note that in my journal and start over on Day 1 on Wednesday to see if I can finish what I want to accomplish.  The first week was bumpy and I've had some other readjustments to make, but it has been SO worth it for me.  Health benefits, looser clothes, and food tastes amazing, had no idea how much flavor I'd been missing. :)

Good luck to both of you.  You CAN do it and you ARE worth it!!

Archived