Sugar. None... forever and ever??

Elleon

MichB, since you just finished a Whole30 you might consider doing a Whole7 or so to reset a bit.

This is an old habit of mine to get junk food on the way home from various places. I hate these old habits.

It's really good to recognize when you fall back into an old habit. After a Whole30 is the time to ask yourself if you want to continue with that habit or do you want to change it?

For me, changing old habits has been a slow process. I've been doing one Whole30 every quarter during 2012. I still feel those habits of wanting to pick up gas station food (gummy bears used to be my favorite). The more Whole30s I do and the more aware of those habits I am, the more I'm choosing that I don't want them to be part of my life. (I haven't had gummy bears for at least six months and I'm okay with that).

Good luck! Stay aware and conscious.

Thanks Emily, I think the Whole7 is a good idea. What I'm struggling with is, If I'm not doing Whole30 then what am I doing? Staying mostly compliant but with the occasional deviation?

Good on you with the gummy bears and glad to hear that the habits are changing over time.

If I'm not doing Whole30 then what am I doing? Staying mostly compliant but with the occasional deviation?

Yup! I totally get that... and for me it has been very much a work in progress. I assume that you've read Ride Your Own Bike?

I have a friend who attempts to eat two compliant meals per day (out of three meals). Some people here are Whole30 with the exception of a few specific holidays. Tom says he always eats compliant at home but is a bit more lenient when he's out (sorry if that is incorrectly stated Tom). I'm trying to figure out what works for me... Whole30 compliant on weekdays and more "off" on weekends? I don't know, but I feel like I'm getting closer to figuring it out. I'll let you know when I figure it out for me and I hope you figure it out for you!

I'm so glad I came across this thread. I finished my first Whole30 less than a week ago. Day 1 off the plan I ate chocolate and white bread. Was fine for a day but had some cravings ...I was looking for sweet tastes though, ie. making special trips to the fruit and vege shop to pick up some fruit (when I haven't snacked for a couple of weeks). Then yesterday I ate out with a friend who I haven't seen for a long while, she is someone who loves her food ...1 wine down, a vegetable tart (not so bad maybe), shared a lemon curd dessert and then......got chocolate and chips on the way home after stopping to put some fuel in my car. This is an old habit of mine to get junk food on the way home from various places. I hate these old habits.

That was last night and this morning, I have a sore throat, sore eyes, headache, feel hungover. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who falls into this type of trap with sugar. I've been tossing up whether to do another Whole30 straight away, part of me doesn't want to but at the same time I never woke up feeling like this during this time.

The thing I didn't like about the Whole30 is feeling like I was different to people around me.....few people I have contact with eat like this and few can believe that I would choose to eat like this long term. BUT, eating well and being a bit different, having some challenges with eating out has got to better then feeling like this.

What I'm thinking is that I start a Whole30 today, commit to it again for a whole lot of good reasons.

Wish me luck people. By the sounds of the posts of other people here I have a couple of days of not feeling so good ahead of me. Hopefully lots of water and fresh veges will help.

Did you read the transition plan in the book? There's a specific way of doing it...not going nuts (no pun intended) on day one. You introduce the things you have given up one at a time for one day 3 times that day and then go back on whole30 for two days and then introduce another item (but don't include the first one). Not sure I explained that very well, but it's in the book and the success guide. For me, eating off plan has to be worth it. For example..the best dessert that someone ever made. Or..if I go to a friends house, I'm not going to be too picky so that I'll be invited back. :) However, I won't be mindlessly eating the things that now that I've mostly given them up, I feel and look so much better.

Archived