Hot Flashes??

C_Cezeaux

Ok, I jumped in the forum tonight looking for answers, already found what I needed on bloat and will make changes to foods immediately.  I could use some input on my other question, however.

A little background on my situation - I am 49 but went through menopause early after a string of extremely stressful and tragic events affected my family.  I haven't had to buy feminine products for better than two years now.

I'm halfway through my first Whole30 and after feeling like I'd been run over by the cranky train and drug behind it for awhile in week 1, have seen some really nice changes in week 2.  Mood swings have stopped, sleeping well, had some really good energy (was sick for the last two days, but I'm sure it will be back as soon as the virus goes away), and now that I know what caused the bloat I can be rid of that.

However.  HOWEVER....  I have been having the most outrageous bursts of heat.  It's just wild, I get so hot that I break out into a sweat and can feel the heat radiating back at me off the back of my chair.  I'm swinging from being FREEZING inside an air conditioned office (normal for me, I get cold easily.  I don't like cold, lol) to being a blazing inferno standing in front of the cold air vent.

I'm just assuming this has something to do with my hormones trying to get themselves straightened out, somebody PLEASE tell me this will stop soon - it would NOT kick me all the way back to cycling again would it???

• Administrators

Hormones (all of them including the sex hormones) will rebalance during this time while your body finds its new normal.  Most people who report having cycle fluctuations in the beginning note that they balance out over the next couple of months (assuming they stay with a Whole30-style profile) so I would assume that any hormonal fluctuations that a menopausal woman experiences would be of a similar experience.  No one here is a doctor though and no one can say for sure whether your menopause will stay put or if a set of healthier and more balanced hormones will result in the return of your period.

Keep us posted though!

I am 55 and have been having hot flashes for 3 years now.  Being on Whole30 has alleviated it somewhat, but it still happens.  After 2 years I gave in and decided I wouldn't let those flashes get the better of me. I've been looking into meditation practices and found it helps to not feel resistence when I start to heat up, but simply feel it, accept it and know it will pass (3 minutes is the longest hot flash I ever had). I'm like you, that the worst part of the heat seems to radiate out from my back. My friend, who is 58, says it radiates first from her chest area. Getting enough or not getting enough exercise doesn't seem to have any affect on the hot flashes.  Anybody who hasn't experienced menopause-related hot flashes can't possibly begin to imagine what it's like. My heart goes out to you. I know exactly what you are experiencing, as your description fits me perfectly!  I have found, however, that sugar, flour products, and alcohol makes it a whole lot worse.  So, being on the  Whole30 has made it better.  I used to have hot flashes much more often and more intense. I'm on day 14 of Whole30 and now it seems the flashes only happen when I go from heat (outside in the sun or a hot room) to cold (air conditioning). I believe it's the big fluctuation in temperature that triggers it.  Good luck to you. I feel your pain!   I'll even give you my phone number if you want to talk. Let me know.

Yes, yes, yes.  All of the above.  Hormones are tricky little buggers.  We are purging the bad stuff and introducing the good stuff.  You may have noticed your hot flashes reducing over the cooler winter months  - and you probably began to feel pretty confident your were edging out of the hot flash problem.  But the body has a “not so funny way” of flipping things around on us.  #1 Hot flashes are worse in the warm summer months - like eating chili peppers - the body triggers the hot flash to help regulate your internal temperature, which is slightly higher because of the external temperature.  Giving the body the opportunity to “release the heat” and “cool” down.  #2 Because we are rebalancing with all the good stuff, it accelerates the process. Hang in there!  Last bit of advice...buy a small hand held fan and keep it in your bag.  Pull it out when needed.  Plus its kind of fun!

Thanks for all the input. :-) I am on day 27 now and haven't noticed the frequency dropping but have been able to identify the triggers. If I get up in the night to use the restroom, guaranteed I'll have one as soon as I lay back down. Coming in from outside at work will set one off, and I've always heated up if I eat much sugar. I've been lucky that's the only thing that came back on me from that stretch. I'm hoping it calms back down,I've already decided to do another 30 before reintroducing any food because I'm feeling so much better other than the hot flashes. My sleep pattern has actually improved dramatically after the first week of Whole 30.

• 2 weeks later...

I just competed Whole30 - today is day 32!  I take a supplements that is to suppress hot flashes... they work for me, until I began Whole 30.  I noticed around the end of week 2 it waking me at night.  On week 3 I had migraines off and on. Week 4 fabulous! Yet i continue to get hot flashes or night sweats that wake me from a sound sleep.  Will this go away?  

(Backstory:  48 years old, hysterectomy at 41, migraines 1-3 days week)

Lols, my hot flashes are still going, but not as frequent.  And since I started tracking the triggers, I have noticed that I get one when I'm starting to feel a little too warm inside the "office" at work and ALWAYS when I get up out of bed first thing  in the morning.  Strangely, I can't ever recall having one while outside.  Also, not while exercising.  Am hoping the whole works dies down soon.  I'm on Day 5 of my repeat of W30, keeping clean while focusing on getting to bed on time and regular exercise.  Maybe the 3 comibined will regulate those pesky hormones.

Thank you for input... what's odd is that I do not have any during the day, only night and it occurs on and off for hours. For years I have taken this supplement called  Herbal Equilibrium from Woman's Heath Network and as stated from the website it is a "phytotherapy-based endocrine support formula to restore hormonal balance and help relieve symptoms".  I take this at night before bed because that was when I noticed I needed it most.  And it really helped eliminate my hot flashes and night sweats.  Since I started Whole 30 by week 2 the hot flashes, especially night sweats returned and is very bothersome especially because I want a good nights rest as this is a trigger for my migraines.  I am wondering I I should stop the supplement to see what happens... just very confused.  

• Administrators

Thank you for input... what's odd is that I do not have any during the day, only night and it occurs on and off for hours. For years I have taken this supplement called  Herbal Equilibrium from Woman's Heath Network and as stated from the website it is a "phytotherapy-based endocrine support formula to restore hormonal balance and help relieve symptoms".  I take this at night before bed because that was when I noticed I needed it most.  And it really helped eliminate my hot flashes and night sweats.  Since I started Whole 30 by week 2 the hot flashes, especially night sweats returned and is very bothersome especially because I want a good nights rest as this is a trigger for my migraines.  I am wondering I I should stop the supplement to see what happens... just very confused.  

You could try stopping it, it's actually not compliant as it contains glycerin which is considered a sugar derivative.

• Administrators

I really don't think it makes it null and void. If you were considering trying it without the supplement for awhile, just do that until the end of your Whole30. You can also read the "Starting Over" article that is linked below.

Just a thought--I am eating significantly more animal protein; I was concerned about the reproductive hormones given to the animals so sought out no hormone/grass finished meats...could some of the problem be an increase in consumption of second-hand hormones?

• 2 weeks later...

Every night.  Sweats.  And I'm in The South, so it is Hot Hot HOT anyway.  I keep telling myself it is my mitochondria re-booting and burning properly--like any good motor, they give off a bit of heat.  I've noticed that it didn't happen on the two nights that I soaked in a hot bath w/ 2 c epsom and 1 cup baking soda. 

Also, weirdy-type timing of these super-bursts of emotions that cause my eyes to well up.  I just tell myself to feel it, swallow it down and feel it, then let it burn itself away. 

I'd be so happy to hear other women comment on 'frozen emotion' that is thawing while doing W30. 

I've had hot flashes for 10+years...this program didn't alleviate them altogether just the frequency. I did however have to get up and Pee a lot at night as our bodies crave a lot of water when were on this diet. I take a natural supplement called Estroven. It helps.

@acha definetly only hormone free grass fed ORGANIC meats for sure. I have eaten more fish and meat on this 30 days today being day 29 and then I have in a long long time. Even though I didn't lose any weight I did lose my allergies so figuring out which one of these foods are the laminated cause the allergies is going to be the trick for me . I'm not sure on the reintroducing of the foods one at a time on its own is the answer I haven't been able to find any info on finding my triggers .. Lady shanny seems to be the expert here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrators

@acha definetly only hormone free grass fed ORGANIC meats for sure. I have eaten more fish and meat on this 30 days today being day 29 and then I have in a long long time. Even though I didn't lose any weight I did lose my allergies so figuring out which one of these foods are the laminated cause the allergies is going to be the trick for me . I'm not sure on the reintroducing of the foods one at a time on its own is the answer I haven't been able to find any info on finding my triggers .. Lady shanny seems to be the expert here.

Sorry, I was on holidays and didn't see this. :) What did you want to know regarding the reintros for finding your allergy triggers?

• 1 month later...

Ummm.  Do you need them?  A Whole 30 won't stop peri meno post meno or 'regular' menopause.  Time marches on.  A Whole 30 can lessen symptoms but genetics play a huge part.  Some women can start peri-meno at age 28 and be finished up in their early 40's.   Others start at 38 and so on.   

Night sweats, sleep disruption -  part of  those hormones screaming as they wave bye bye.  A Whole 30 helps everything but you should ask your doctor what's best for you.  I have a million and one aunts.  Genetically, they've all went through the stages at the same time.   Most of them were completely finished up at age 50. Done.   No more night sweats, tossing turning.   But it's not all it's cracked up to be.  They bemoan the loss of hormones.  Some gutted it out without them and some take them.   I cannot tell any difference in their behavior.   The sweet ones are still sweet without meds and the testy ones are still wildcats with meds. 

Archived