What's up with the runny nose?

grmochamom

Hello!

I've been hearing and reading alot of runny noses during W30. I totally have a runny nose all the time now! It started about the 2nd week.

I chose to do the W30 to go 100% off grain as well as remove dairy to see how it might affect my body (internal inflammation). Could the runny nose be a sign of the inflammation/mucous leaving my system?

I have seasonal allergies, but mainly hay fever in the spring time. Never had allergies this time of year, so I ruled out seaonal allergy issue.

anyone care to chime in and tell me what the runny nose means? How long should I expect it to last?

I don't know what it is, but I can definitely say that I've been having some sinus issues too since I started my whole30. I'm only on day 8 but I'm still tired and feel like I need more sleep all the time and I think it has something to do with my nose being so stuffy that I don't get good sleep and am waking up a lot at night. I would love to know what this is about too. Does anyone have any tips/suggestions?

Sorry, I can't explain the runny nose. Had mine pre-Whole30 and ditching the dairy for 30 days didn't seem to affect it.

Like Stubborn, I'd just got to wondering if the stuffy nose was also contributing to sleep issues. For the last few nights I've been using 'Breathe Right' strips on my nose at night. They look stupid but I think they have helped a bit - I think it has been easier to get to sleep and that I've got back to sleep quicker when I've woke. In the night. (These are the plasters: http://www.breatheright.com/products/original)

I'd still be interested if anyone has an explanation of why the Whole 30 might cause runny noses and/or sleep issues...

I love Breathe Right strips - they save my life during spring allergy season!

I can't say for sure why you guys are struggling with congestion and runny noses, but I do know that it's pretty common for folks to experience short term "extinction bursts" of previous conditions. For example, my allergies go bonkers on days 3-6, but settle back down and stay gone for the rest of the program. It is also common for folks to catch colds during their Whole30 because the changes in your body are causing a little stress and otherwise occupying your immune system. Again, they are generally short lived (and you'll find that you get sick FAR less when you eat this way). My advice? Keep some Breathe Right strips on hand, blow your nose as much as you need to, and be patient. It will pass ;0)

Thanks for that Robin! I am on Day 3 and I feel as if I am getting cold. I heard that when your body is getting used to no sugar you start to sneeze more, so I was actually wondering if this cold feeling could be something my body is going through while being on the W30 ... Is there anything we can take to ease the symptoms, or recover faster?

oh gosh. thanks for the advice. i developed hay fever a few years ago, as well as a shedding German Shephard in the house right now. possibly just my allergies in over drive since i have no other symptoms related to the common cold or any viruses right now.

I will just keep tracking it.

I found that removing dairy 100% was such a relief on my internal inflammation. I thought my running nose was possibly connected to my thinning mucous or excess inflammation just leaving my body. (hope brings eternal, right?)

• 2 years later...
  • Administrators

@Robin Strathdee

Robin--

I am experencing the day 3-...(i'm only on day 5) runny nose/allergies. Is it OK for me to be taking Allegra? Or should I try to power thru it?

You can take allergy medication if you need them.

Note that Robin is no longer with Whole30, we wished her well last month when her path took her a different way.  :)

Before Whole30 I would have a runny nose every morning, I would have to always blow my nose in the morning, it could have been allergies, or ?? Anyways when I first started the Whole30 I had sinus problems in the 1-2 weeks, with it gradually getting better.  I feel a whole lot better now, hardly ever have a runny nose, it is very seldom.  I am on Day 25 now.  I think it will also depend on what type of issues you had before the Whole30 too, as with me it was my sinuses.

Before Whole30 I would have a runny nose every morning, I would have to always blow my nose in the morning, it could have been allergies, or ?? Anyways when I first started the Whole30 I had sinus problems in the 1-2 weeks, with it gradually getting better.  I feel a whole lot better now, hardly ever have a runny nose, it is very seldom.  I am on Day 25 now.  I think it will also depend on what type of issues you had before the Whole30 too, as with me it was my sinuses.

Or a dairy intolerance  ;)

Archived