Anyone else with New daily persistent headache (NDPH)

Hi,

On Sept. 4/15 it will be 3yrs since my daily headache started. I've tried various things as far as treatment and so far nothing has worked. This is why I've decided to start my first whole30 on June 30.

My primary hope is that it helps with the headaches. I am however a little concerned about all the reports of headaches during the whole30. Even though I am used to having a headache every single day, I am worried.

I was wondering if there is anyone else with NDPH who has tried the whole30 and how it went.

I remember someone with this exact condition doing better on the whole30, but I can't seem to place it right now. I think it is definitely worth a try. Make sure you eat enough so you are never hungry* and keep well hydrated (1/2 oz of water per pound of body weight per day), and you will do great. good luck!

*follow this meal template three times per day:http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

• Administrators

Do you take painkillers everyday? If so have you investigated rebound headaches?

I thought about this one too. Also turtle headaches from lack of oxygen to the brain if you are spending a lot of time buried into your bed trying to avoid pain.

Have you had your sinuses checked? Deep and lingering sinus infections can be a cause of daily headaches.  And you don't have to have a stuffy nose or allergies to have a deep sinus infection.

Hi, pain killers have not helped and tried many many different types of meds, monitored by neurologist, and nothing has worked.

I was told to limit Tylenol to max max 10/month to avoid rebounds. Basically I just deal with pain as, to date, wind up with more side effects and no relief.

We have ruled out any issues with sinuses as well. All tests including scans & mri have been normal. Now am just trying different things with hopes something works. Latest was Botox injections, twried twice but no luck so here I am hoping something gives.

Hope that the W30 works for you.  I have gotten migraines for years (not the same thing I know, but still headaches!)  There were times when I had 4-5 debilitating migraines a week, and the Rx meds I was taking were causing rebounds, short term memory loss, general exhaustion, sleep disruption...etc, etc

Following the W30 plan works for me to limit those headaches.  I am currently someplace around day 80 of "W30 eating", and this time around it took the full 30 days before my headaches stopped.  I literally had daily headaches ramping up to the start of the W30 this time around and that continued for the full first 30 days.  Don't give up!  It could take more than 1 or 2 or even 3 weeks to see your headaches start to abate, but have faith!  

It has now been over 30 days since my last headache.  All of the other benefits aside (great sleep, more energy, BEAUTIFUL skin, allergies nearly gone, and more...knowing that eating this way has such a major impact on whether or not I have headaches makes it TOTALLY worth sticking with the program!

Good luck!!!   :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm coming at Whole30 for the very same reason. I had a persistent daily headache for several years. All neuro work up negative, botox fun but useless for pain. Have recently decided to go back on hormonal birth control as my headaches degenerated into migraines that seemed to correlate with my cycle. I'm 42 and the idea of OCPs with all their risks are scary. So here we are at Whole30. I'm cheering for you and eating along with you!

• 3 weeks later...

It's day 26 and although there has been no relief/change at regarding my ongoing daily headache it's been a great experience.

Unfortunately, I am not surprised that food is not the cause of my headaches as 2 Neurologists, my Internist and GP all told me it wasn't at all food related. It was certainly worth a try though.

I really can't say that I found it that difficult to follow. It MOST Definately takes a lot of restraint but I don't at all feel deprived. I've eaten so well and have learned so much about the food we buy. I'm in Montreal, Qc so do not have the variety of choices that seem to be available in the US. It does take a lot of prep work but then again I'M worth it!

I don't see myself going back to eating as before, I think I would be able to now. This was a huge eye opener as far as the amount of "stuff" In our food. I am very lucky as my husband has been really supportive and surprised at how many of the while30 meals he's enjoyed. He's Italian and actually sold on zoodles....don't tell his mother !!

I have Definately noticed that I have more energy since day 1 and truly surprised at the variety of options meal and how satiating eating the right type & amount of food is. I used to snack ALOT between meals but not anymore. There's been no need.

Brande.che, I'm 44 and they put me back on birth control as well but for my anemia, supplements alone not sufficent, and hate the idea of it all. Good luck and fingers crossed for you.

Don't give up, even if this does not help with symptoms it is defiantly worth the journey!!!

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I had a headache for over 3 years a few years ago. I went gluten free and it stopped for the most part. I'd still have some headaches here and there, but I could usually point to gluten as a factor. I stopped doing gluten free and went back to my old ways, and the headaches started up again. Now I'm trying Whole30 to see if it will help. I'm on day 2 and I've had the WORST headache since starting. I'm hoping this will subside soon! Any tips?

The headaches at the start are withdrawal, your body trying to tempt you back to your previous food (it's the same for cigarettes and most kinds of withdrawal, if you don't cave it will pass quicker). For some it's their previous sugar, grain, artificial sweeteners, etc once it's out of your system, no more headaches.

For withdrawal to go fastest, avoid topping up sugars (like eating dates as snacks) or going crazy on nuts. Eat good template food (veggies, protein, fats - 3 cups of veggies is best if you can) and if you're hungry, eat! There's no extra points for starvation on Whole30 :)

Drink plenty of fluids (this helps to flush stuff out) and if you get any cramps, you may have a minor deficiency in something like sodium (processed food is high in salt and is often "topped up" with nutrients to make up for the natural lack (such as fortified bread).

Until the headache part passes, I don't do any strenuous exercise and just let my body work on the withdrawal. For me it doesn't go much past Day 2 or 3, but everyone is different. If you're having trouble, ask for help :)

• 9 months later...

I have NDPH since December 13th 2013. I am on day 16 of my Whole30 and have not noticed any changes in my headache. I feel a little let down. I was Paleo before the headache and enjoyed Crossfit 3x a week. I have tried to go back to Crossfit, but haven't been able to keep it up because of high pain days. I fell off the Paleo way of life due to laziness. I wanted this W30 to be the fix for all of my ailments and thought years ago that I should just cut out sugar, dairy etc... again and maybe my headache would go away . It hasn't happened, but I am glad to be eating this way again. Mentally I feel better, like I am doing SOMETHING for my health since I haven't been able to consistently exercise. 

Archived