Bananas or mustard for muscle cramps?

iteach

Muscle cramps are caused by lack of potassium, lack of salt, or lack of magnesium. Bananas are high in potassium, but I'm not sure that eating one will provide immediate relief from the cramp. THe mustard is probably high in sodium.

I'd suggest upping your salt intake, and adding a magnesium supplement - magnesium citrate rather than oxide.

• Moderators

I've recently switched from magnesium citrate to magnesium aspartate and am very happy with the results. I had chronic issues with loose stools taking a modest dose of Natural Calm (citrate). A functional medicine doctor switched me to aspartate and my chronic issue has disappeared. :)

When I started the Whole 30 week one I had horrible leg cramps. I started taking a dose of magnesium and potassium daily and

the cramps are gone. If I miss one days doseage they return. I am sure it was because of the huge intake of salt I removed from

my diet by eliminating processed foods. I just can't seem to add enough salt back in so the supplements work for me.

Lorilou

Thank you all for your helpful posts.

I try to avoid a lot of salt because my hands and feet are swollen at the end of the day.

I will definitely purchase some magnesium vitamins tomorrow. 

Mustard has been my go-to for immediate relief...well, as immediate as can be. :)

Thank you again. 

Thank you all for your helpful posts.

I try to avoid a lot of salt because my hands and feet are swollen at the end of the day.

I will definitely purchase some magnesium vitamins tomorrow. 

Mustard has been my go-to for immediate relief...well, as immediate as can be. :)

Thank you again. 

This is probably more likely to be from fluid retention - make sure you are drinking at least half an oounce of water per pound of body weight daily. I know it seems counter productive but drinking enough water is key to preventing the retention/swelling.

This is probably more likely to be from fluid retention - make sure you are drinking at least half an oounce of water per pound of body weight daily. I know it seems counter productive but drinking enough water is key to preventing the retention/swelling.

Most likely...as well as the increase of my exercise and heat index outside where I'm running. :)

Thanks for your input. :)

Archived