Unusually grouchy and irritable

I'm on Day 17 and I am so grouchy today and I don't know why.  Everything is annoying me more than usual.  Any one else having that problem?  Argh, I hate feeling this way.  I struggle with depression and was hoping that my symptoms of irritability would actually get better with Whole30 and not worse.  

I am 19 days out from the start of my period so it's not PMS.  

Food log for last 3 days:

Meal 1:  All of my meal ones are the same.

2-3 egg/spinach omelette fried in bacon fat

2 pieces compliant bacon

half an avocado

sometimes a little fruit (I try not to eat fruit with breakfast as it tends to make me hungrier faster)

Meal 2:  All of my mean 2's are the same

left overs from meal 3 the night before

Meal 3: 

Day 1 ground chicken meatballs fried in bacon grease

homemade marinara - can of crushed tomatoes, can of either tomato sauce or tomato paste depending on consistency, can of diced tomatoes, half and onion chopped, 4 cloves garlic, 1 shredded zucchini, 1 large shredded carrot, fresh basil, fresh oregano

half of a spaghetti squash

mixed spring green salad with tomatoes, carrots, and homemade compliant ranch dressing

Day 2 prosciutto wrapped chicken breasts fried in bacon grease

roasted brussel sprouts (roasted with EVOO drizzle and salt and pepper)

Day 3  pork chop recipe from Whole30 book

Green salad with mixed greens and spinach, tomatoes, carrots and homemade compliant ranch dressing

I drink a minimum of 100 ounces of water per day.  I will have a compliant Kombucha once in a while.  No more than one per day.  I usually have a  La Croix once a day but I never drink the entire thing (I was a big soda drinker before Whole 30 - I quit drinking soda 5 weeks before I started my Whole30 - the La Criox helps me not miss soda).  I also drink a cup of chamomile tea at night after dinner and about 90 minutes before bed.

Any help on how to change this would be greatly appreciated.  :wacko:

• Moderators

One thing that stands out is that some days you have 1-2 servings of starchy vegetables, and some days it looks like you have none. I would definitely make sure you have at least one fist-sized serving every day, and maybe more. The starchy vegetables help with the production of serotonin which helps with mood. Since you're prone to depression, you might even consider having a serving at most or even all meals, and when you're feeling better you can play with having them just once or twice a day and try to determine what the right amount is for you.

There have been many past discussions on depression here on the forums, try googling Whole30 depression to find some of them, you may find more helpful tips.

Also note that if this is something that happens to you with PMS, it is possible that your cycle is a bit off -- some women find they get their period a little early or a little late, or that symptoms are a little different during a Whole30, especially their first Whole30.

Other things to consider: Are you sleeping well, and for about 8 hours a night? Are you getting some exercise, even just light exercise like walking? Are you under more stress than usual? These things obviously could be contributing to how you feel as well.

• Moderators

Sorry you are having trouble. Hang in there.

The food you are eating sounds like good choices, but you didn't indicate how much of each thing you are eating.

Take care to eat according to the portions outlined by the Meal Template: 1 - 2 palm-sized portions of meat (or 3-4 eggs), 1 - 3 cups of veggies and 1 - 2 thumb-sized portions of fat (and those are minimums, eat more if you need). Remember, when you are eating salad, it takes even more to fill you up.

Also, be sure your bacon grease comes from compliant bacon.

I will definitely check out the whole30 depression topic.  It's something I've struggled with since I was 14 (I'm 39 now) and so I know my moods and my mood swings very well.  To be more irritable than usual is just not feeling good for me and it certainly isn't going well for those around me.   :( I will make sure and add more starchy vegetables.  I'm sorry I didn't say how much of what I was eating.  I do follow the guidelines in the book to a T but have never measured anything (another thing I love about this plan).  My plate is always have veg with a good size of protein and then some added fat.  I would say your suggestions above (1-2 thumb sized portions) is accurate in what I am eating.

My bacon grease all comes from the compliant bacon I eat (who knew that I would ever be able to eat bacon and be healthy!).  I love that we can have bacon but it's odd.  I haven't been able to eat it in years (I am always on a diet).  My omelet every morning tastes like heaven fried in bacon grease.  But it's still odd in my head that it's okay to eat it.  

I appreciate your suggestions and your encouragement.  This forum is amazing.

Archived