Day 24 - No Energy at all - Also, Gastric Bypass post surgery 10+ years

I'm on Day 24. 100% compliant. For the past week, I feel weak, exhausted, and run down. I'm also a post-surgical Gastric Bypass RNY patient. Surgery was many years ago, I lost over 150lb and have gained the majority of it back. My stomach doesn't have any of the restrictions a recent surgical patient would have, by any means. HOWEVER, all gastric patients can have issues with absorption, etc.  I recently had a thorough lab panel done and show a Vitamin D deficiency. I started taking 5,000 iu this week. 

But the bottom line is I feel lousy as the day goes on. The kind of no energy that I need to sit down. And while I realize I carry a good 150 extra pounds on my frame, I've had that for a while and don't typically feel like this. 

My meals are as big as they can be while not making me feel like I would have to throw up. A gastric bypass patient can definitely throw up if we fill our stomachs too much. 

I'm feeling defeated on the inside. I've been super public with my Whole 30 and so proud of sticking to it and I want it to be a big success. But I can't go on feeling this lousy. 

Also, I still feel cravings. No sugar - that's not really my thing. But I could KILL for some cheese and processed carbs. I'm getting nervous that there are only 6 days left and getting close to reintroduction. 

Any info from the moderators or other members who have had this type of surgery and then done Whole 30 would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for any information you can share.

• Moderators

It would be helpful to know what you're eating, with approximate serving sizes based on the meal template (i.e., are you eating about a palm-sized piece of protein or more or less than that?).

If you cannot eat enough at one time to stay satisfied for 4-5 hours between meals, you may need to eat more than three meals a day. Follow the basic meal template guideline, but on a smaller scale -- in other words, have some protein and fat and vegetables, occasionally some fruit if you want it (although it's not actually necessary, and not the most nutrient dense choice -- you're better off with vegetables), but if you can only eat 1/2 a palm size piece of protein, 1/2 a thumb size portion of fat, and 1 cup of vegetables, that's fine.

In general, when people are tired and craving, one of the first things we'd look at is, are they eating at least one serving of a starchy vegetable every day, and are they adding fat to their meals. Those two things are the things people are most likely to be leaving out, mostly from habit/old beliefs that those things are bad. If you have trouble digesting fats as a result of your surgery, that's a little different -- eat what you can, and stick to the ones that don't cause problems for you. Nuts and nut butters are the fat sources most likely to cause digestive issues for most people, so definitely watch for how you feel if you have them.

Other things to consider -- are you drinking enough water? And are you salting your food to taste?

Those are helpful tips Shannon. Thank you. I think perhaps I'll keep notes about it to try to determine. And because of my altered anatomy, how much I can eat is very dependent upon WHAT I eat. And I hands down can say I'm not eating starchy veggies much at all. I am not a big fan of the sweet potato family  and get nervous using other potatoes for those reasons you indicated  - the perception that it's "bad". Lifetime of don't trying to relearn the healthy DO's. I'm also having a hard time with breakfast and most days I'm certain it's just not enough/right foods. 

I'll be more mindful of your points and see if that helps out. Thank you so much!

• Moderators

Those are helpful tips Shannon. Thank you. I think perhaps I'll keep notes about it to try to determine. And because of my altered anatomy, how much I can it is very dependent upon WHAT I eat. And I hands down can say I'm not eating starchy veggies much at all. I am not a big fan of the sweet potato family  and get nervous using other potatoes for those reasons you indicated  - the perception that it's "bad". Lifetime of don't trying to relearn the healthy DO's. I'm also having a hard time with breakfast and most days I'm certain it's just not enough/right foods. 

I'll be more mindful of your points and see if that helps out. Thank you so much!

If you really, really don't want potatoes, try winter squashes (like butternut, acorn, or spaghetti squash), root vegetables (turnips, beets, carrots, rutabagas, beets), jicama, or pumpkin. Also, don't rule out all sweet potatoes -- if you're in the US you probably only see garnet yams and I think the other common one is jewel sweet potatoes, but if you ever come across Japanese sweet potatoes, pick up one or two to try out -- totally different thing than regular sweet potatoes. Here's an article about the most common different types of sweet potatoes you might see at the store.

Last night I made fajitas and thinly sliced red potatoes and put them on the grill with all the fajita veggies. I placed the meat on top of the potatoes and made sure I ate the 3 slices of the potatoes no matter what to get that starch in me. I felt better last night - could just be mental - but I'm being mindful of my choices and how I feel. Fortunately, my husband is doing this with me and is super supportive when I'm struggling. I told him this morning, I really really really need the support right now. I'm wondering if it's because the "end is near" next Tuesday and my brain is just not handling/processing that well at all. Completely possible.

Just a weird observation. I'm just flat out struggling with breakfast. It doesn't matter what it is actually. For the past week, eating in the morning makes me feel sick. Graphic alert: as I was eating my melon and prosciutto this morning which I love, I ended up spitting out the last bite because my gag reflexes kicked in. How weird and dumb is that?!?! Sheesh.  

• Moderators

Melon and prosciutto sound delicious! Are you also eating veggies along with that, and some more substantial protein? It's really important. Many of us have better results saving fruit for later in the day, and not first meal. If you usually eat fruit in the morning, maybe experiment with changing it up and see if that helps too.

You can do this!!

I did not have veggies with it. After reading all of the comments, I'm realizing my morning meal is just not cutting it. I'm going to have to just start eating what I like for lunch in the morning.  Morning foods are just not appealing to me at all. 

• 3 months later...

Archived