How much fat per meal?

In the book Whole30 on page 194, it says to "add fats in the following recommended amounts per meal." Then there is a list of seven fat sources and serving sizes. My question is should just one of these choices be made per meal? Certainly not one of each....

Yep, one (or two) choices per meal. I say that because today my meal three is a Big Ass Salad and I've got half an avocado chopped up through it as well as a good dollop of mayo. Other times I might have mayo & some olives. I also generally discount the fat in egg yolks and add another source.

I free pour oil, and if I'm spooning out a fat source like mayo/coconut oil/ghee I'm using tablespoons not teaspoons.....

It's also worth noting that the recommendations in the meal template are minimums - it's okay to eat more.

Embrace the fat!

Thanks for the speedy reply! I have followed a "typical" diet plan for a loooong time and am starting my first Whole30 July 1. Embracing the fat is VERY new to me, so I am approaching with a habit of caution. I tried the Atkins diet years ago (and yes, I KNOW Whole30 IS NOT like that), and I gained 3 lbs.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but you really will need to leave your WW mindset at the door on your way in. Restrictive eating is counter-productive.

I'm 5'2, I weigh 125lbs, I train 6 days a week, and I eat to the high end of the template (& some!) along with (some) pre & (always) postWO meals, and whilst I didn't lose a single pound in my first 30 days my body fat dropped considerably, and it was already in a good place to start with. I've continued to eat this way with the very occasional off-roading session and my body composition continues to change.

This is not a diet. This is not about weight loss. It is about changing our relationship with food, and how we think of food as a treat/reward rather than as fuel. A Lamborghini runs much more smoothly on premium quality gas than it would do on cheap black market stuff.

So even if you do gain weight, or stay right where you are, your body will still be thanking you in so many other ways for giving it proper nourishment.

Good luck!!

Throw all caution about fats to the wind.  It's the fats that prevent the Appetite Reckoning.  It's the good fats that stop the body from clearly eating for pure entertainment.   It's the fats that stop dieters from flying by the seat of their pants.

It's the fats that institute some extra structure to meals and prevent the loosey goosey approach to positive food management.   It's so easy to slide off the goose and land in a pile of goose fat but goose fat is wondrous, terrific.   

Fats are a big part of the Whole 30 Tiger Blood. 

Well I've been following the template for two days now. I did have a pre-WO meal this morning and may have gotten carried away as I woke at 4:30 am and couldn't go back to sleep because I. Was. Hungry. I figured since I was going to run (only 3 miles though and was hungry) that I'd get up and eat. I felt like I pigged out, but about 5 minutes after finishing the "meal," I felt fantastic. I've managed well today and am not experience carb-flu like I was completely expecting. Occasional slight headache that goes away and twice I got a tad lightheaded. So I must be eating enough fat. My fruit is only two small servings a day, and I've chosen to limit my nuts to no more than 1 1/2 ounces per day, and yes I'm measuring them. When someone says to limit something, I have to set a concrete limit or I have a hard time knowing when enough is enough.

For fruit, it's one to two fist sized servings of fruit, with meals (but fruit is optional as we can get even more benefit from vegg). For nuts, the book specifies a closed handful. Because I am smaller framed, my fist and handful is different than a much bigger person's would be.

Archived