Staring today June 25th 2015

OanaBro

Okay Day 5...we're off and running!

Great to hear from you @ OanaBro, and thrilled you're still in. Hang in there, the responses from gmcbn and Chris, were right on the money (or sugar!) from what I'm experiencing and what helped me so far.  I added the avocado in the breakfast eggs in the morning and that made all the difference for me. Still periodic headaches, some aches and pains, not sure if that's from the walking or the yoga, or just the body doing it's thing, but whatever it is, it means something's working its way out.

One of the main reasons for me doing this is the mucousy cough I got right after my morning coffee, and it would continue with me all day.  Well, it returned last night. For the life of me I can't figure out why, there's was no dairy in anything I consumed. I went through everything to see if there was hidden sugar.  Nothing. Someone pointed out on another forum that smoked salmon can sometimes have loads of sugar in it.  I did eat sockeye salmon tips, the cut off pieces the butcher saves and sells in a separate container, all it said was sockeye salmon. Also I did have onions the last two days, and I know they have a weird effect on me.  

Long story, no onions and salmon today!

B:  3 eggs, coocnut oil, avocado, chopped veggies

L:  big salad, veggies, chicken and tessamae's dressing

D: nuts, pineapple mango, shrimps, and salad with veggies.

I'm borrowing a slow cooker, huge step for me!, and will begin trying some of the Whole30 recipes.

Another goal for today was to walk:  today was 4 miles. done.  and a wee bit of yoga.

I feel like Hill Street Blues right now:  be safe out there, everyone!

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey,

So far, so good. I feel a lot better today. I had a great breakfast, went for a little walk and I am planning on making mayo with my oldest daughter :D . I grew up with homemade mayo, watching with fascination my mom making it. I am Romanian and the Whole30 comes kind of naturally, except the bread part because Romanians are big on bread and I love it. We ate a lot of veggies and veggie dishes growing up so I feel I am revisiting my roots. Today I roasted some eggplants and I will chop them up and make a spread with mayo and onions but instead of bread I will eat it with tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers. 

I have to say that being on this forum is making me take this more seriously than before and definitely than I ever did before. The feedback is great to keep me doing this for the 30 days.

The days meals are:

B: 1 1/2 scrambled eggs, 1/2 avocado, 1/2 leftover pork chop, 1/2 green bell pepper, and radishes with coffee before and after breakfast ;)

1st L: with the girls 1 bowl of  leftover chicken cauliflower soup, 1 peach.

2nd L: after I make the mayo fresh veggies with eggplant spread

D: steamed cauliflower, broccoli , and carrots with a mushroom sauce.

Gracie, if I could only follow your example and exercise a little bit, I would feel really accomplished for the day :rolleyes:

@Oana, I appreciate the appreciation!  Actually though, this time last year, I could barely walk around the block. Yes I was overweight and not exercising, but I was also working through some deep disappointment and loneliness, and I didn't know this at the time but I had a pinched nerve in one of my toes, causing a persistent pain just getting out of bed in the morning, along with fallen arches. My refuge was food and red wine.  A friend gave me a gift certificate to a shoe expert here in town and they fit me with a pair of cushioned sneakers with an insert that allowed me to walk. I also started getting rolfing, a kind of physical therapy/massage that put my muscle and bones back in place. Slowly, oh so slowly, things started to shift.

I wanted you to know that because I hate exercise!  But, I love walking the dog or going for a walk or hike with friends. I found a walking group in my neighborhood and they do a 3-4 mile walk, hike every morning. I asked if I could join and it's been a great experience.  Lots of support, laughter, and frequently I can be seen hacking up a lung as these ladies zoom past me on the hills. I don't care and neither do they...it all counts, I tell myself, and I get huge points just for being there.

Sometimes sharing a story helps others..... in summary, I needed to something in my neighborhood that was easily accessible, like right out my front door, I needed it to be in nature, and I needed company.  Otherwise, I wasn't going to do it.  I got all three.  Have you thought about what would make you move it, shake it, and get it going? :P

D: steamed cauliflower, broccoli , and carrots with a mushroom sauce.

Your meals are looking better today Oana - lots more veggies! Just don't forget your protein & fat with meal three...!  :)

Ok, It's 9 am, a beautiful day and I feel blah  :(. Gracie, thanks for sharing your story with me. I know that being overweight usually hides other, more complex problems that we all deal with. I know what mine are, even if I don't always have the courage to say it out loud. I don't think there is a walking group in my neighbourhood, but I feel inspired by your story and maybe I should just start my own. I know making friends will be good for me and I definitely need the exercise!

About the food: do we always need to have meat and fat with every meal? I feel I have enough stored fat as it is  :P and I don't always feel like eating meat so often every day.

Also how do people do the Whole30 with work and kids and everything else? I specifically started this plan now because my daughter is out of school, I have some time before I start work, and my husband has more free time too, but honestly I don't know if I could ever get so organized as to deal with a work schedule, 2 very active girls, a household to keep in place, and following the plan? It seems hard even now, maybe it's just me....

B: 2 1/2 scrambled eggs, 1/2 avocado, hash browns with apple sauce.

L: a big salad with walnuts

D: maybe fish

Definitely not feeling it today, maybe I need more coffee...

Oana

About the food: do we always need to have meat and fat with every meal? I feel I have enough stored fat as it is  :P

Yup, a protein source & fat with every meal along with 1-3 cups of veggies, with 3 being optimum. The protein doesn't have to be meat - it can be fish too which can save cooking & be economical if you opt for tinned...

Take another look at the meal template for reference & add some protein to that meal two today!

The idea of the fat is that your body will hold onto your fat stores rather than burn them if it thinks that more fat will not be forthcoming - so effectively you need to eat fat to lose fat.

Whoa!  They weren't kidding with the Kill All Things motto, Day 6, and if you've seen my post on Natural Calm, it was everything but!  :o

Having figured out what the issue was, I didn't read the labels correctly because I was fuzzy in the head, and scattered, I took the stuff back and they switched it out for me.  Very gracious!  Then I had some about an hour ago, and wahoo!! feeling like myself again.  

@OanaBro, Hey there. I hear you on the fat and meat question.  It feels so counterintuitive to the way I've eaten my whole life....which oddly gives me confidence that this may work.  You've no doubt heard the expression, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result.  For me it was time to try something different.  Feel better, and hang in there.

I added potatoes yesterday and today, a little olive oil, salt and pepper, some black olives, and celery. Delicious, and the starch helped a lot. Headed to lunch for salmon and a big salad with veggies.  Be

Be clean out there!

Day 6 is in the history book! Phew. I had the most delicious supper, it seems if I add olives to anything I'm thrilled. No exercise today, decided if I am that cranky getting out of bed, I deserve a break! :) How did you all do today?

Now I get it!!! I felt like I was going to kill somebody yesterday and I thought there was something totally wrong with me. I completely forgot that this might happen. Okay, at least it is not lasting but what seems to be ongoing is that coffee seems to be ineffective and I feel kind of in a fog. Hopefully that is going to go away soon. I have no idea what I'm going to cook today. I think I am getting to be OK with meat and fat for every meal simply because looking back we actually did not have so much meat as I thought.

I have to thank you Gracie, your posts are eye openers for me and help me a lot.

Oana 

Day 7 One whole week in....

Oana, I totally feel like we are partners in this adventure!  So, so glad things are better for you.  On my end, taking yesterday off from exercise along with potatoes, and natural calm, and yummy dinner, I feel pretty good today relative to my last two days.

Today, walked 4 miles, will do some yoga to stretch it all out.  I will incorporate meditation today, something I have been putting off for awhile now.  Just 5 minutes, maybe 10.  To start.

Awesome breakfast, eggs, potatoes, veggies in the eggs. No avo today, got a little sick of it in the morning, coconut oil. Lunch is a garbage salad, meaning cleaning out all those leftovers, sweet potatoes, asparagus, cukes, red peppers, olives, and of course, chicken!  Salmon for dinner, plus salad, potatoes.

How about you?  What's on your plate?

Be clean out there!

Oana, how'd you do?  I'm heading into one more coaching session and then done for the day.  Dinner tonight was salmon leftovers, olives, yummy, and potatoes, and a salad. I didn't get to the meditation but might do some before bed.

Day 7 finito!

Day 8

Today was a rough day.  Not food or energy wise, but emotionally. I'm very sad about a situation in my life, and it doesn't look like it can get resolved anytime soon.  Normally this would be the moment when I go looking for a glass of wine, or two, or....! Or I go find some ice cream or pizza.  These are my go to's.  I'm happy to report that just the opposite happened. In fact, although Whole30 compliant today, I under-ate.  I just have no interest in food right now. I did have two meals, both good but not alot.

I walked despite the rain, 3 miles, and did some meditation first thing in the morning. I'm headed to the video store to reward myself with a little escapism!

Hope you're doing well.

Okay, just wanted to post one more time, after reading my Daily Whole30 and Jessica's success story.  Day 8 and the hot flashes are gone! I just realized that. Not one. The mucousy thing, in my throat, nothing today, and I feel physically great.  I am using their suggestion and imagining how my body will feel on Day 30. I know I will keep going but sometimes you need a little help, just a bit of inspiration.  If this sounds like you, read Jessica's story: http://whole30.com/2011/09/whole30-success-story-jessica-o/

Have a great night.

Hello, 

You could tell I am having some great days because I haven't posted anything, I was just too busy EXERCISING (hooray) playing with my girls, and cooking. Gracie I feel we are partners in this too. I was a little worried that I was venting too much that's why I said I will stay away for a while. But I wanted to see what was new with you and read some more stuff about what people experience. I have noticed a few things about me that I wanted to share and that is that I am starting to really taste the taste of these foods I am eating and to really enjoy them. Also I am better able to stop eating when I am not hungry anymore which is a huge thing for me.

I sometimes get mad at the relationship we have with some of the things we call food. I use treats when I am bored or when I am down and that is wrong and sucks. When I was younger I always turned to friends and actually doing fun stuff, but somehow that changed and I want to change it back.

Gracie you should feel so proud that when in a difficult place it wasn't food that brought comfort!! That is awesome! I hope the situations gets better soon and is not too hard on you.

Day 9

B: 2 eggs omelet with spinach, a pickle and a banana

L: Sauteed cabbage with chicken and 1/2 avocado 

D: a salad and chicken and veggies stew

Tomorrow is 4th of July, any special dishes and plans?

Oana,

Yay!!! What a great check in.  I'm happy for you, and very inspired by you.  You exercised!!!!  Awesome.

Today was extremely busy, all good and I stayed compliant. I had a bit of wringing my hands because I bought this all-natural grass fed, free range pork sausage from a local farmer, and there were no ingredients on the packaging.  Only pork sausage.  I went online, nothing.  I really enjoyed having something different from chicken and eggs and salmon, although I love those. Have you tried cilantro in your eggs.  I thought it was yummy. with a side of avocado, really good.

Me, impromptu backyard potluck here.  I have to bring a dish to share.  Haven't decided yet. You?

Well, Day 9 is dones-ville!  Helps knowing you're out there, Oana.

Happy 4th of July!

I will definitely try cilantro in my eggs, eggs are getting a little boring. I am starting to feel so great, my energy feels different. Even when I have very busy days and I get tired it's not a " I'm going to die" type of tiredness. Everything is just better. I started this because I needed a lifestyle change, especially as I am preparing of becoming a full time teacher and I need to live in a way that can ensure that I have energy for work and family. I will not be able to be happy, or a good mother if I don't change my fuel. Reading Jessica's story made me think and realize that if I do this for the long run I could avoid many medical problems and that is very important. So I will recommend this to anyone who wants to listen. 

I am amazed at how a change of what I put in my body is bringing many other changes in my life like a continuous effort to make and keep new friendships. I was stuck for a while in the past thinking that I left my friends in my country and I just can't make new ones at this age. It's harder, yes, but not impossible. 

So today, cheers to freedom from diseases and fatigue and to new friends.

Oana

I am amazed at how a change of what I put in my body is bringing many other changes in my life like a continuous effort to make and keep new friendships. I was stuck for a while in the past thinking that I left my friends in my country and I just can't make new ones at this age. It's harder, yes, but not impossible. 

Oana

I <3 this...  :wub:

Oana

Oana, I love all of your post, but this especially.  Yes, Yes, Yes. New friends.  

How did it go for you today?  I know I'm not eating enough veg.  That's for sure. But everything else is good. I've been sleeping great, except last night, for some reason couldn't fall asleep, had to turn on A/C because it was hard to breathe, I have allergy related asthma. 

You know what's really on my mind, I try on my clothes and their getting looser, but i look at my body and it feels like I'm not making progress. The belly fat is not going down much or feels more jiggly, not less. Of course, my chest is history, lost a bunch there immediately i can tell, but when will the rest catch up? I know it's about health, but body composition is important too.

Anyway, Happy 4th!  Day 10, over.

You know what's really on my mind, I try on my clothes and their getting looser, but i look at my body and it feels like I'm not making progress. The belly fat is not going down much or feels more jiggly, not less. Of course, my chest is history, lost a bunch there immediately i can tell, but when will the rest catch up? I know it's about health, but body composition is important too.

I encourage you to have some patience with yourself and the program. You're only a week and a half in. All changes may not be linear. A gentle reminder that it's a 30 day program. http://whole30.com/2014/01/whole30-tough-love/

Thanks GFChris, I can tell your reply is well-intended and I can see how what I wrote prompted you to give the reply you sent.  I was asking myself that question, 'when will it catch up?'  Using this forum for personal reflection and support, and sometimes help, I'm sharing the random thoughts that I'm sure we all have, the ones that swish through our heads every second of every day, and here, instead of editing ourselves, censoring our experience, we have a chance to let it out: the shame, the blame, the judgment, the pain, along with the joy and discovery and the healing.  All of it makes up the 'whole' part of the Whole 30. 

Thanks also for referring me to the tough love doctrine.  If you look up the origin of the phrase "tough love" it means being "cruel to be kind."  And maybe some people get value from that, like the person writing Melissa saying, "this isn't working." However, maybe some of us just need a place to see ourselves as whole, all the messed up feelings about our bodies and our choices. Those were my feelings and my thoughts that I wrote about. That's my body fat and jiggle, my vulnerability, my younger self's stories of being told my body is misshapen. Every bit of fat that burns away on this process holds a story, an imprint of a former me, and it's good to say how I feel about those dangerous stories I once held as true.

Maybe the Whole 30 brand isn't really embracing cruelty, because let's face it, we're 90% women on this forum, and I'm sure we've seen as much 'cruel to be kind' behavior in all of our respective lives, and it's enough!  Maybe instead the Whole 30 brand is embracing 'tough kindness'!  Thanks for writing me, and for allowing me this healing moment to go deeper into the source of what's kept me small.

Maybe the Whole 30 brand isn't really embracing cruelty, because let's face it, we're 90% women on this forum, and I'm sure we've seen as much 'cruel to be kind' behavior in all of our respective lives, and it's enough!  Maybe instead the Whole 30 brand is embracing 'tough kindness'!  Thanks for writing me, and for allowing me this healing moment to go deeper into the source of what's kept me small.

Love this tough kindness definition, Gracie! Yes, thank you for "seeing" my intent. In the absence of facial expression, inflection or tone of voice, it can be challenging to assess where both sides are coming from in an online exchange. Thanks for also clarifying your perspective. May you begin to hold yourself into larger possibilities.

Oh Gracie your last post totally resonated with me!

My pants are loose too and I am happy with that. I am even happier that I stop eating when I am not hungry. I am 34, 170 pounds, and 5.4. One of my goals is that when I go for my yearly check up in January 2016 it won't say overweight anymore on that visit summary they give me. I have to say that only recently I have started loving and accepting myself and I think this is the reason I am on this plan and loving it. Until now it has been about looking good according to some external standards that are so arbitrary and have nothing to do with me. Until now having an ideal (for me) weight has been about looking attractive not about having energy and health. That is why I am patient and I don't expect drastic changes quickly any more. I am willing to be happy with a 10 pound weight loss in 30 days because doing this I get the tools and practice to keep it up and keep losing the unhealthy weight.

I think we are on the right track no matter what. I really don't see myself starting to eat the "foods" I am giving up as soon as I hit 30 days. No way!

I have a little victory to share. Yesterday I went to see the fireworks with my family and we passed by my favorite ice cream place. We bought the girls a small ice cream and I wasn't even tempted. I told myself I can give this up for 30 days, I know how it tastes I had it before and I will probably have it again at some point. But it's just ice cream and it would not make the evening better than how it already was. In the end food is just food, is  not fun, is not my best friend and it doesn't really make things better; food is meant to sustain us in order to work, have fun, spend time with people, and make ourselves better.

Today I was very satisfied with a 2 eggs omelet and 1 banana; a lunch of a serving of rotisserie chicken with raw mushrooms, tomatoes, and sugar snap peas. For dinner we will have ribs with brussel sprouts and salad. And for fun I will take the girls to the park and maybe watch a movie.

Let this new week begin, I have even stopped counting the days of this plan.

Gracie I can't wait to hear from you.

Oana

Oana, my sister!

That's what it feels like, to me.  You inspire me.  Wow, your victory is huge. Complete brain re-write, along with the feelings that went with it!  Congratulations, and great idea to stop the day number thingy. I'm with you. No more days, it sounds like we've got this thing in hand.  Not to celebrate too soon, but to be encouraged that the small changes are actually happening, like yours:  'going passed the ice cream shop and noticing that food doesn't make something more fun. Food is just food.'  Right on!!! I needed to hear that, and I'll tell you why.

Yesterday was a bit of a social see-saw.  In the morning, I went to my favorite coffee shop, and the woman asked if I needed room for milk.  I know her pretty well, and said, nope, doing without dairy for awhile.  Too which, she replied, "I did that, best thing I've done, I was on paleo and did an elimination diet..." and someone else chimed in and said, " I did Whole 30, have you heard of it, awesome."  So there we all were, sharing stories, and their successes were so palpable, I floated out of the store.  

Fast forward, the 4th of July backyard BBQ, late afternoon.  It had just poured down rain, and the table was set up in the middle of the lawn and everyone was gathered around it.  Very impromptu.  I brought a bunch of non-compliant stuff, knowing that others were doing the veggies. One person who knows I'm doing this, said, "how come you didn't bring things you could eat?"  To which others started asking, why can't you eat things?  Explaining that this is an anti-inflammation regime, another person chimed in and said, "you should've waited until after July 4th to start that." And I smiled and said, "then I wouldn't be 10 days closer to a glass of red wine!" Amidst much laughter, people started asking a ton of questions, all good, but I started feeling like the center of attention, and that was pretty uncomfortable.  

Why all this explanation? As surprising as this might sound, I'm beginning to see my old worldview changing. Eating and drinking was the norm, to be a part of a group or a party meant partaking and imbibing. Not doing that was a cause for criticism, at least it was in my past.  The folks yesterday were nice, they were curious, most wished me well. Far from having to get defensive about my choice, I felt others were wondering if maybe they should try it.

My lesson:  like you said, eating is so wrapped up in the various meanings we attribute to it. Unpacking those meanings and re-writing them is another one of the benefits of this program.  

ME:  5'5, and 51, and at the start of this program, I weighed 182. It's such a good program that I'm thinking of continuing on, maybe after a glass of that wine I mentioned!  Like you I'm not expecting too much from the scale, but it's these other changes that are huge!

Thank you, Oana, for being there and sharing so beautifully.

Gracie,

I  enjoy your posts so much and reading your last one I realized something. I haven't really told people that I am doing this nor have I been very social. I am starting to wonder how would it go if I do go out, especially in places where there is food. I will probably make a plan when that happens and think of what I will share with my friends.

Today it was kind of rough. I woke up pretty late with a headache and I had to have a second cup of coffee and a lot of water to get me going.

I had 2 1/2 hard boiled eggs with apple slices and some almond butter. For lunch I had a bowl of chicken and veggies soup, some leftover rotisserie chicken with tomatoes and I don't know about dinner yet.

Hopefully I will be able to exercise a little before the day is over and hope for better tomorrow.

How was and is your day Gracie?

Hey Oana,

Sorry your day was tough. It kinda goes like that doesn't it? I had a good day, so if you need more venting time, I'm on it. I'm here for support or whatever you need.  :)

I had this awesome eggs, cilantro, red pepper, and shrimp scramble today.  Very yummy. It's nice to switch out proteins, chicken and eggs get old! I was eating at the crack of dawn and that just made my stomach mad, so I started eating a little bit later after my brain had kicked in a little more, 8:30 ish.  Much better. I did exercise today, late in the day, about 3 miles, still need to stretch though.  :(

You know what's really on my mind?  I think we're healing.  Not the external food and body and physical ailments, the really deep stuff. The source of why we have the things we have, and what we do to hide them. Going out, like you said, it's a real experiment, because people being people there will be all sorts of responses, and we'll have to deal with them in new ways. And we'll have to deal with ourselves as those triggering reactions work on us from the inside and bring up old crap.

I'm proud of us! We rock!!! We're getting it done, Oana.  Tell me what the rest of your day was like.

Archived