Staring today June 25th 2015

OanaBro

• Administrators

You know what's really on my mind, I try on my clothes and their getting looser, but i look at my body and it feels like I'm not making progress. The belly fat is not going down much or feels more jiggly, not less. 

I totally feel this!  About 7 years ago I lost a very significant amount of weight and the entire time I was losing it I just kept waiting for my body to change. Well...it changed, sure, it got smaller. But proportionally and body shape wise I am exactly the same as I was 90# heavier.  The lumps and bumps are still all there, they are just smaller.  Sometimes it's hard to see because we see ourselves every day but if your clothes are feeling looser you're on the right track.  :)

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Oana,

Wow, yesterday was a whirlwind!  Never got around to posting.  All was good, on my end. I even had plans out but stayed compliant.  I actually eat before I went out so that I was at least full in case anything looked tempting.

I guess, it must have been tempting cause today, I'm having cravings. Just want something different.  Not really craving the old sugary stuff, but a big steak and potato sounds great right now.  Which is compliant, but I have coaching clients all afternoon and no time to cook. I'm a little afraid to go out to a restaurant, because I'm just learning how much crap they throw in things.

So, I did dash over to my grocer and got some sushi, nigiri, so no rice, no soy, only wasabi, which i have to check to see if its compliant.  I haven't eaten it yet, because I wanted to check.  I also have the awesome dressing from Tessamae's which has a bit of spice in it. so that can go on the sushi if everything checks out.

I'm really glad I'm not getting on any scales.  Because i've seen a huge change in my body already, and that might just make me stop rather than keep going. Tomorrow is the halfway mark.  Phew.  I can recommend the Larabar, I have bought three so far, and use them in emergency. Today the "I just want this thing done, please god, let it be over!" thing hit me hard. the Larabar feel like a treat, taste delicious, and make feel like I can let that dragon sucker die!

Anyway, how are you?  What's happening?  

• Administrators

I'm really glad I'm not getting on any scales.  Because i've seen a huge change in my body already, and that might just make me stop rather than keep going. Tomorrow is the halfway mark.  Phew.  I can recommend the Larabar, I have bought three so far, and use them in emergency. Today the "I just want this thing done, please god, let it be over!" thing hit me hard. the Larabar feel like a treat, taste delicious, and make feel like I can let that dragon sucker die!

Yipes, if you are trying to kill a sugar dragon, giving it Larabars just makes it do a happy dance while breathing fire down your neck and setting your hair on fire.  If you are having sugar cravings and really want that guy to die, eat protein and fat.  Not anything sweet.  Not fruit alone.  Not larabars.  They are as close to candy as you can get on the Whole30.  So while they are compliant, we truly do not recommend them, especially using them for treats or to quiet a raging sugar dragon.

The only way to kill that sucker is to starve it out.

Thanks, you're so right. Couldn't help myself.

Today's good.  Out came the Whole30 cookbook and I dove in.  One more day of chicken and I was about to start clucking.  Today, delish hamburgers, made 'em myself with garlic and crushed red pepper and a side of twice baked sweet potato.  Yum!

Not sure about dinner, but I'm starting to feel really good.  Walked 3 miles today, did yoga.  All is well with me. Oana, I haven't hard from you in a few days, hope you'll and just busy.  

Halfway!  Yay!

Well, Gracie, you've probably moved on.  Sorry I haven't been in the loop lately.  I work in a small resort town and the season is upon us!!!  I'm doing really well this time around.  I'm not even sure what day this is!! 16, I think!  I just realized from reading through the past posts that I shouldn't have an apple with cashew butter as a meal.  I've been using it as an occasional breakfast when I have to be to work early.  I'll rethink that.  I haven't weighed or measured myself since we started but I grabbed a size 10 pair of jeans by mistake and the zipped right up.  I knew they were the wrong ones when I put them on and saw the knees weren't blown out!  I bought them after my 1st W30 and was so excited when I was that smaller size.  Nice to know I'm that size again only 1/2 way through.  I know this program isn't about weight loss.  That's not why I'm doing it but it sure is a nice side benefit!!! 

I hope you are feeling better, Gracie.  This is such an amazing process.  Our bodies are so remarkable. 

Gracie, if it's just you and me in this thread, I'm good with that!  I do however understand if you want more input.  Let me know where you land!

OK, so I have this really old laptop and it hadn't loaded all the posts when I posted earlier.  Happy to see some activity! 

I do have a question.  I will be looking this up as well.  Any sushi that we can have?  I'm nervous about the soy thing.  Found that sneaky little bugger in my Stash Yumberry Blackcurrant tea.  Why would tea need soy in it???

Yipes, tea and soy! Ugh. Where will we find it next?

Hi Syd, so glad to see you on here. Yup, just walking through this thing, one day at a time. I'm getting the Whole 30 Daily, and last night when I pressed the link that says click here if you made it another day, they sent me a video of Bon Jovi singing, Livin' On A Prayer.....'oh,oh,we're halfway there...oh, oh, livin' on a prayer!"  I laughed my ass off!  Loved it.  

Yes, this is day 16, two weeks from today, will complete this round of 30.  I'm feeling great, and what's super amazing and a little weird - get this, I've had these tiny skin tags on my body since I was young.  Tiny pieces of skin and they're gone! Like poof! I'm sticking with this, even when the 30 days are up. Syd, I agree the weight loss is great, but these are effects are truly wonderful too!

Tonight is steak, making it myself!  Maybe the other half of the sweet potato. Salad.  

Just walked 4 miles, hope to get some yoga in.

Oh, and sushi, yes, nigiri sushi is allowed.  No rice, no soy, though.  There is a posting on this in "Can I have....?

Be well and happy Friday!

Thanks, Gracie!  I am heading to the 'Can I have' section right now.  What a cool thing about those nasty little skin tags.  I'm not sure what I will start adding back.  I really don't want to add any of it back.  That's how much I like my life right now :-) 

Seems like the last time I did the W30, we could not have regular potatoes.  That was Nov '12.  Did I make that up?  We can have regular potatoes now? I'll look that up right after the sushi!!

Happy Day 16 to all!!!

Syd

• Administrators

Seems like the last time I did the W30, we could not have regular potatoes.  That was Nov '12.  Did I make that up?  We can have regular potatoes now? 

All potatoes got the green light in July 2014.  :)

Oh my golly gee whiz!  This steak is amazing.  Made it myself from the Whole30 book, please don't laugh but I've never cooked any meat-like substances in a kitchen before.  I was always the baker, someone else did the cooking.

I can cook!  Who knew!

Local strip steak half of it, other half for brekkie tomorrow. Half of a sweet potato.  And a wonderful cucumber, onion, dill salad.  Dynamite!  

One of the modifications I've made that is really working for me, is a banana in the morning, along with the eggs and veggie/avocado. Somehow this combo just seems to work for my body. I have pep, and I'm ready to go.  I am starting to listen more to the moderators, and believe them when they say you're not eating enough.  I wasn't!  A little afraid to, actually. But, holy fried steak Batman, they were right. My body is becoming this machine that dives into each meal and gets the last little bit of nutrients out of it.  And even better, now with these tasty little cooking lessons, Chef Gracie is ready to try other kitchen recipes and my psyche isn't screaming at me for 'something more, something more....'

So a good day for me!  How are you Syd?  Oana, hope you're doing well.

Happy Friday!

Oh boy, I think I got a little too excited too quick.  Today was making basic mayo day.  I'm two tries in, and no luck, all I get is this gluey runny mixture.  I'll take another try tomorrow, I am probably pouring the oil in too quickly. Will have to really slow it down next time.  One bonus, cleaning the utensils with all the oil in it makes my hands and nails feel really good!

Other than that, Saturday is my day off from exercise, and I'm missing it.  No issues with food.  Got more veggie at the farmer's market today.  I did go for acupuncture, which really relaxed me.  I came out with a cramp in my left ankle, never hand that before.  But took some Natural Calm, and in about 30 minutes, I was all good. Loved my lunch today, whole tomato with salt, avocado, and leftover steak.  Yum!

Not hungry anymore. My only obstacle right now is boredom.  I'm not bored with the food as I'm learning new skills.  I'm just bored.  Many of my friends are out of town on vacation, and I have an invitation to go to a porch party tonight where I won't know anyone and I won't be having a glass of wine.  Sigh.  Time to learn a new skill, parties without alcohol. Sigh.

I'm kvetching.  I'm very happy I'm on day 17, and 13 days looks very doable!

Syd and Oana, I hope you're still powering through...sending good wishes.

So today I kind of hit a wall.  really, Really, REALLY wanted to eat something I know would be totally bad for me and cause me to start this 30 over.  I was feeling pretty smug for a while since I have sailed through so far.  Done feeling smug.  Also happy to report I came home from work to a really great dinner that my husband fixed!  Grilled steak, salad and roasted broccoli.  Did I mention he is the BEST husband?  Going to bed now.  Happy this trying day is over!!!  Hope all is well with everyone else in this thread!!!  We are on the downhill side of this one :-)

Stay strong!!!

On a totally unrelated subject, does anyone know why under my picture is says '0 warning points'.  Did I say something I shouldn't have at some point?  Any moderator who wants to jump in on this would be greatly appreciated!!!  Just curious!

Hey, Gracie!!

Happy to learn you are coming up with some new kitchen skills!  I totally understand not cooking meat.  We usually grill and my husband is totally in charge of that!

Your breakfast sounds great.  I think I posted earlier about mine.  I almost always include sauerkraut and a fruit.  This morning it was a pork sausage pattie and a generous dollop of ghee on the sauerkraut.  I also sprinkle cinnamon on my apples and bananas.

Which Natural Calm are you using?  Mine has stevia in it which I thought we couldn't have.  Maybe yours isn't flavored. 

I really need to incorporate some regular exercise.  I work in a small diner so am on my feet most of the day.  Somehow, my warped mind thinks that's exercise but probably not really...

Did you go to the porch party?  I've started drinking LaCroix flavored mineral waters with a touch of Pom juice added.  I found that I really didn't miss the wine (at least not this morning :-)  I just need a vessel in front of me with a beverage.  I don't even have to explain to my friends anymore what I'm doing.  That's really freeing!

Hope you have a wonderful Sunday!  Thanks for keeping track of me!!

Grrrrrr!  I am still wrangling with a "basic" mayo!  In round three, I finally got it to emulsify a bit, a slight thickening was happening, and it wasn't because of the food processor.  I decided to take it out and whisk to see if some air would be better, the food processor seemed to be too much power for it, I was sweating!!!!! i got the the 1 cup drizzled in oil point, and it fell apart!  That's it!! Grrrrr. I've never worked so hard to create something in my life.  Ok, an exaggeration to be sure, but seriously, that was a work out and for nothing.

Where can I buy compliant mayo so i can make some dips?

Hey, Syd, now that i got my rant out of the way, there is stevia non flavored, it's their original brand.  And no, I didn't go to the porch party wasn't feeling up to it. And great mind think alike, I went and got some flavored seltzers, no sugar, and they taste delish! How are you doing?

I did get a walk in, 4 miles, and some meditation, so that usually makes me feel good. Any exercise for you?  I think working in a diner qualifies as exercise in my book.  Just sayin'!

Okaydokes, Day 19 and it's feeling pretty natural. No real hardships, here. I had a great chicken salad for lunch and contemplating dinner as I type. 4 mile walk in.  so far so good.  I have friends doing this one day behind me so I 'll jump over and see what their up to...

Nite.

Good Morning, Gracie!

I'm doing well.  I've even stopped counting the days.  For today, at least.

I forgot to mention to you that I started making mayo with a stick blender.  Got it on Amazon for around $35.  Easiest way to make mayo, I think.  Put everything into the blender glass (comes with the stick blender).  Turn on for 20 sec, then the next 40-50 seconds pulse the blender.  They have a recipe in the instruction book.  No more drizzling REALLY SLOWLY.  I only use 1 cup of oil instead of the 1 1/4 c that the Well Fed recipe calls for.  1 egg, 2T lemon juice, 1/2 t each salt and dry mustard.  No more mayo frustration.  I promise.  Hope you didn't throw out the failed attempts.  Great sauce for meats or base for dressings.

Good for you on the exercise front!  You are inspiring me :-)

Hope you have a great day!

Syd, thank you!!! I am off tomorrow for an immersion blender. You now the funny thing, I'm not really even a big fan of mayo, but I do like making dips to bring to parties.  What's happening for me now is that I am so riled that I haven't been able to conquer the mayo, that it's like a challenge!  Stay tuned.

Ok, today was good for me.  How was it for you?  I went to the grocers and asked about other meats.  Enlightening what goes into meats once you start asking questions.  I had a pork sausage patty for breakfast with eggs this morning, and my taste buds felt like they went to a carnival!  Yay.  

Not hungry at all anymore.  I didn't walk my usual route, thunderstorms!, so it was good to take a break. i have noticed that in the last few days my walking is getting easier.  I used to cough up a lung going up these hills!  Now I seem to get up them and just be breathing hard, but not in any need of emergency personnel!  yippee...

I have to confess I looked at some of the other threads particularly the ones that are ending their 30 days.  Everyone seems so happy and thrilled. Inspiring...! Have a great night.

Ah and the next chapter dawns!  Today, i woke up thinking, no problem we've got this in the bag. I went about being productive in other ways in my business and as a coach to some of my clients who are right now in interviews for dream jobs! Very exciting.

Then about 2 pm, it hit. A surprising bloaty gass-y feeling in my stomach, and this overwhelming tiredness.  All I wanted to do was take a nap.  (Which btw I did!) I went back to my foods to see if it was something I ate, or didn't eat, and realized that in stead of bananas, I was eating one small apple with one of my meals.  I think my body really misses the banana.  Then i looked up what day I'm at in the timeline, 21, and there it was, clearly spelled out, a bunch of the same feelings I was having.

Very weird.  How did I go from, confident, this is cool, I'm going to continue on with this after the 30 days are up, to 'ugh, we're not done yet?'  On top of that the whole scale calling from the back of the closet syndrome is so true.  Everybody is commenting on how good I look, and I'm still very interested in what the scale says.  Darn it.  I am thinking that the advice is right on the money.  21 days is a good accomplishment, however, the remaining 9 days still has a lot to do with whether I can maintain this new lifestyle.

How did you guys do today?  Syd, anything to report?  I'm still thinking of you Oana, hoping you're well.

• Administrators

On a totally unrelated subject, does anyone know why under my picture is says '0 warning points'. Did I say something I shouldn't have at some point? Any moderator who wants to jump in on this would be greatly appreciated!!! Just curious!

Warning points is something the forum is capable of but we don't use that feature. "0 Warning Points" shows under everyone's picture when I look at it. It's possible that as a regular member (not a mod) that you see just your own. No one has warning points, you're fine. ;)

Thought of you as I made mayo tonight, Gracie!  I did use the wide mouth pint mason jar to make and store it in.  It's so easy!  The only part about the immersion blender stick I don't like is it's hard to lick clean :-)  That's how yummy this mayo is.  I think you'll like it far better than any store bought mayo you've ever had. 

I must admit I haven't been reading the emails this time.  I saved them all from my 1st W30 so I could re-read them.  They are a bit like my security blanket.  The one I really remember was about 1/2 way through.  I told my husband one evening that I couldn't believe how sweet carrots were and how nutty celery tasted.  Yep, there it was the next morning!  "We bet you can't believe how sweet carrots are or how nutty celery tastes!" I loved that.

I had more fruit that I should have today.  Rainier cherries landed at our food co-op as well as local fresh strawberries. 

This does seem easier to me this time.  Not sure why.  I know we have 9 days left!  I'm so excited to get on the scale, take my measurements.  All the things I can see.  The things I can't see but can feel are how great I'm sleeping, no acid reflux, no hot flashes, mood much more even keel.  I often think back to the receptionist at my doc's office on 10/31/12 when she asked me if I was going to do the Whole 30.  (I had all the free print outs from my doc sitting on the counter between us)  I told her, 'Yes, I think I am."  She said, 'It will change your life".  Oh, how right she was!

That being said, I've made a decision to live my life after this W30 so I don't ever have to do a full 30 days again.  I may have to do a partial at some time, but I don't want to have to do 30 days again.  I can take care of myself and eat right and pay attention to what I'm doing to my body.  This is my lifestyle for the rest of my life!!

Now to add that darned exercise on a regular basis...........

Day 22 tomorrow!!!  Gracie and Oana, hope you are both feeling better!

Syd, your emails are a lifeline.  Thanks for being there.  I love that you're making plans to not have to go this route again, with a full whole30. Awesome. I will follow your lead. 

Guess what?  In about 10 minutes, I will buck up my endurance, and head to the kitchen with my new immersion blender and try this mayo thing again! So stay tuned...Your encouragement is helping me try it again!

Back in a bit.

• Administrators

Guess what?  In about 10 minutes, I will buck up my endurance, and head to the kitchen with my new immersion blender and try this mayo thing again! So stay tuned...Your encouragement is helping me try it again!

Can't wait to hear how wonderfully it turned out!  ;)  It'll work, the immersion blender method is the only way to go.  Dump all the ingredients in the jar, insert blender, turn it on and pull it up slowly....about 5-10 seconds and you're done!

Oh, and ps.  the Whole30 Daily #21 was right on the money for me.  Habits and what to about them, and why my sugar cravings are back.  it's not like i actually want sugar it's like my mind is screaming, and shutting down my brain, saying if you don't give me what i want, it's lights out, bucko! yikes.

Ok, now for the mayo. :)

Unbelievable!!!!  You were both right.  5-10 seconds max.  What a difference having the right tool makes.  And delicious, yesssirrreeee!  I immediately put garlic and cilantro in it, and yummmerdoodles!  Thank you for the encouragement and tips.  One happy lady!  i can make veggie and dips, and go to parties, and have something I like to eat! yay!

Archived