Whole30 Words - Round 2 - July 1st

noelgreen

i-QkS7qhJ-M.jpg

Everyone talks about how much better they sleep on the Whole30 and it's honestly something I remember noticing on my first one but had forgotten over time. That is until I remembered the word, "blivett."

Blivett is a "sniglet". A sniglet, in case you don't know, is a newly coined word or expression that comedian Rich Hall made famous on the 1980s HBO comedy series "Not Necessarily the News."

To "blivett" during the night is something I used to do a LOT of... and I would remember doing it. I'd wake up every once in a while, blivett one or two times, then go back to sleep. The reason I know I sleep better because of the Whole30 is that I don't know if I blivett anymore. I'm sure I do. I know I blivett at least once before I go to sleep... but once I'm asleep I sleep now — possibly blivett free — until morning.

i-ZvzQKmP-M.jpg

Here's a word I don't think I have to explain: not in the way that it relates to the Whole30. The Whole30 is a phenomenon for sure. There's a reason for it too — it's not a fad (though I'm still hoping it sparks the return of leg warmers and friendship beads) but it's lasting and real.

Part of being a phenomenon is that there are many questions about "the thing" — in this case Whole30.  Obviously most of these questions are from people who haven't done it or read up on it yet. If you're one of those people with questions let me encourage you to "ask" them... look it up... read about it... and find out for yourself!

i-DKcvsSD-M.jpg

My life has been a series of great epochs. I don't mean that to sound like I think I'm awesome, I just mean take the definition of "epoch" as what it is — a period of time in history or a person's life, typically one marked by notable events or particular characteristics — and that is what I've had a lot of.

I have travelled, started a successful business, been on television, taught, learned languages, been developmental in a few organizations and trends and have a wonderful wife and kids. Many events in my timeline that I would say are epoch-like. Not the least of which being losing over 100 pounds.

The Whole30 wasn't what got me from 320+ lbs to where I am now: somewhere around 187 I'm guessing... I don't weigh. Whole30 is, however, the last nail in the coffin of my obese self. It is the "marker" of "from here on out I will eat like this." And if THAT is not an EPOCH moment then I don't know what is.

i-44jsqk5-M.jpg

This is a Melissa Hartwig-ism. She coined the word (and apparently uses it a lot) and asked if I could use it as one of my daily words for Whole30 July. When I asked her what it meant and she told me she was worried it wouldn't work — because it's a "negative" word — but I instantly thought of when I hear all the silly reasons people don't want to do Whole30. They don't want to give up a specific food or drink... they think it will be hard... they don't cook... and so on and so on. If "CRAZYTOWNBANANAPANTS" isn't a perfect word for that attitude then I don't know what is!

If you've been thinking about doing the Whole30 but haven't yet then I encourage you to PLEASE do so! It is seriously CRAZYTOWNBANANAPANTS if you don't!

i-TSf3Wtm-M.jpg

I purposefully didn't post this word yesterday because it was Mick Jagger's birthday and I didn't want there to be any confusion... the fact is, on Whole30 you CAN get satisfaction!

You will be more satisfied with your food choices, meal time, socializing with friends and family (with and without food involved) and just more satisfied with life. One of the biggest lies that food tells us is that it is necessary for something to be satisfying... it's not true. Satisfaction comes from doing things in the right ways: that includes eating. 

i-5LVfGnd-M.jpg

Learning (again) to truly taste something carefully and appreciate it fully is something the Whole30 reignites inside you. This applies to food & drink for sure — discovering that coffee without cream is indeed wonderful — but it also applies to life in general. Getting to "taste" every moment of every day because your brain isn't in a fog is such a blessing!

On a side note: I can't say this word without hearing Popeye saying, "I yam disgustipated!" I don't THINK the squinky-eyed sailor was talking about tasting things carefully but who knows... maybe he was Whole30?! It would explain his tiger blood strength and those bulgy arms!

i-twhpcWL-M.jpg

Remember the Queensrÿche song "Silent Lucidity?" It was released in 1990, the year I graduated high school. Written by guitarist Chris DeGarmo it is a song that deals with a person having a lucid dream. A lucid dream happens when you are aware that you are dreaming and can control parts of it. You have to be "lucid" in your dream to do it.

Needing lucidity — awareness and clearness of thought — doesn't only apply to dreams. We live in a world full of people sleepwalking through life. Much like the reality that Neo was met head on with in "The Matrix" we are surrounded by those who aren't truly living. In fact, they aren't even aware they aren't living — there is no lucidity.

Whole30 — and eating REAL food — is one of the most powerful ways to wake up your brain. It will kick in a lucidity that you have (possibly) never experienced. It is the "red pill". The question is... are you ready to take it?

Archived