Day 25 (almost 26..) and struggling

More carb-dense veggies: try for at least 2 fist-sized servings daily.

Have 1-3 cups of veggies at every meal. You have no veggies at meal 1.

When eggs are your protein, the serving size is the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand without dropping them. For most folks, that's 3-4 eggs. (Eat the whites AND yolks.)

Pre wo recommendation is protein and fat.

Where is the fat in meal 2 and 3?

Have you considered having one day where you don't work out, to give your body a break?

• Moderators

Hi there!

I see a couple of things, and I'm sure others will have suggestions too. You have seen the meal template, right?

First, your meal1 has no vegetables. All your meals, even breakfast, need vegetables. And always eat the whole eggs, unless you just happen to have whites left over from making something else and are just looking for a way to not waste them, then I'd probably throw them in extra with your normal serving of eggs.

Your meal2 has no fat. I'm sure you're cooking in fat, but go ahead and add more. Much of the cooking fat tends to stay in the pan and doesn't get eaten.

Your pre-workout should be protein and fat, just a small something -- some people don't need a pre-workout, depending on how long it's been since a meal. If you do need one, try a hard boiled egg or just a little leftover protein, maybe with a bit of mayo or guacamole or olives.

Your post-workout should be lean protein and optionally starchy vegetable, so maybe chicken breast or tuna and some sweet potato. You don't want fat, because you want this digested within a short time after a workout while your muscles are most receptive to that protein to help them repair.

Your meal3 also has no fat.

In fact, I notice that you mention a couple of times that you've chosen "lean" options or maybe added "a little" oil -- that's pretty much the opposite of what we want you to do. Fat is not going to make you fat. You're trying to get your body to go from burning easily available carbs for fuel to burning fat for fuel. You're not giving it much of either carbs or fat, so it doesn't really have any fuel to burn. No wonder you feel tired.  

It looks like you're eating at the low end of the meal template. It lists a range, it's okay to eat at the upper end of that range, especially since you are very active. Make sure you eat 1-2 palm-sized portions of protein, 1-2 thumb-size portions of fat (or 1/2-1 whole avocado, or a heaping handful of olives), and a whole bunch of vegetables (aim for 3 cups at every meal -- 1 cup is a bare minimum) at each meal. Do that three times a day. Have your pre- and post-workout meals as needed. Eat at least one serving of starchy vegetables each day, and maybe more.

You might also check out this article on rest vs recovery

Archived