Garlic intolerance?

I'm on Day 28 and haven't had any intestinal problems since the first week. Today I made a salad that included, for the first time since beginning the Whole30, raw garlic. Within a few minutes, I was experiencing shooting pains in my stomach, which later turned into bloating and gas.

Can this be a sign of garlic intolerance? Has anyone else experienced symptoms like these from garlic? I haven't eaten raw garlic in months but never thought it was problematic when I had it on occasion. Can I have developed a new sensitivity?

• Moderators

It could be a sign of garlic intolerance. Have you noticed a sensitivity to other related vegetables, like onions, leeks, shallots, or chives?

Another thing to consider would be, was there anything else in the salad you haven't had lately, nuts for example, or even hard-boiled eggs? Or even was the salad more raw vegetables than you usually have at once -- sometimes raw vegetables can be harder to digest and cause bloating.

Basically, it might be the garlic, and the fact that it's raw may make a difference too, or it might be something else. If you think of other possible culprits, don't eat them for a few days, then pick one to eat and see what happens.

• Administrators

Garlic can definitely be a problem for some people.  My suggestion would be to remove garlic until you're feeling better and then test it again.  If you get the same reaction then you'll know.

It's possible that now that your gut has shed its extra layer of protective mucosa, that the garlic which was always irritating to you, is now making itself known because that physical barrier is now gone.  (Note, your gut shouldn't have the extra thick mucosal lining, it creates this when it is repeatedly exposed to irritating foods).

Well, the garlic was really the only new ingredient that I added. The rest was mostly mushrooms, tomatoes, and a new brand of lettuce, which I think would be less likely to cause these symptoms. I'll let everything settle down for a few days... I'm supposed to be starting reintroduction in two days anyway, so I guess i'll try the garlic again eventually. Thanks for the help!

Yes my husband experiences this

So now I warm olive oil first then add the garlic or shallots or onion whatever untl it softens then add it to uncooked veg or while cooking it

I add large pieces not minced cloves so he can discard it

Usually garlic minced releases extra acidic oils and it can be distressing

Archived