Third whole30, still having some stomach troubles

We are focussing on food and supplements, but are you sure the issue isn't psychological? Simply stressing about pooping can be enough to stop the works completely (similar to stress about sleeping, actually. the mind is powerful). For that reason, stopping the whole30 might help, if it helps you to relax.

Another thought would be to work on relaxing. How about taking a break from regular life, soaking in a tub, doing some twisting yoga poses, taking some deep breaths? A short walk after each meal can be great.

Also, it's not clear which of the suggestions you have actually tried and for how long. Sometimes it takes a few days for something like magnesium to "kick in" that doesn't mean it is not working. Let us know how you get on.

Hi Emily,

I've read through the entire thread as I'm in the same boat as you. I've been eating Whole30 since January 1 and have found for the last little while that I just cannot go. I was hoping that maybe you found a method to relief the issue but it seems as though you're still out of luck. I feel the same as how you're describing but I've gotten to the point where it's been so long since a proper elimination that I feel bloated and fat all the time. My clothes are starting to fit tighter and it makes me feel like cr*p all the time. I've tried Natural Calm and, while it helps me sleep, it does nothing for the bathroom. For a few hours after taking it, my stomach gurgles and rumbles and then nothing. It's been so long since a proper poop that I picked up unflavoured Milk of Magnesia to see if that would help. I took a Pepto sized capful on Monday night and here I am Thursday morning and nothing. Again, my stomach gurgles and sounds like things are going to start moving and then nothing. I literally feel like I have to go ALL the time but bathroom visits are unproductive. I drink plenty of water (3-4 591mL bottles a day, so that's like 60-80 ounces) and eat all compliant foods and I'm still stuck. I've done three normal 30 day whole30s without the bathroom issues. This has been more of a recent thing. I did lose my father at the end of June and have had some mental/depression issues (I posted a thread about it in the medical condition forum) but since coming back to work the anxiety/lack of sleep/mental fog has gotten better (I have an appointment with my family doctor on July 27 to schedule blood work) so maybe it was stress related? I've been back to work since July 6 but still no luck on getting moving. For others particpating in my thread, here's an example of a daily meal:

M1- two hard boiled eggs, pear, banana or a handful of coconut strips and raisins (NOT all three fruit, usually just one if any). Drink iced coffee made with Silk Cashew Milk (like 1/4). I understand this isn't the greatest meal 1 but I eat on the go for breakfast and it's the easiest to repeat. On weekends, I usually have two fried eggs and salad.

M2- yesterday was 1 full chicken breast, cooked in evoo, tomatoes, compliant salsa, onion, green and red peppers shredded over 1 full head of romaine.

M3- salad made of romaine, iceberg, cucumber, radishes, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, walnuts, balsamic dressing (balsamic, evoo, garlic, dijon mustard) and two eggs fried in ghee.

another example of a M3 from a weekend at the boyfriend's house is steak or chicken BBQ'd with a baked white or sweet potato, cucumber slices or salad or steamed veggie mix (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower) and maybe some grapes/cherries if on sale at the grocery store

I keep my nut intake very limited as I've found they make me bloated. I haven't had nut butter in months. I'm going to try and incorporate more carbs (read the mental post) and see if that helps. I cannot seem to find ANY saukerkraut in my area that does not have sugar added. I can get Kombucha from one store but it's $5 a bottle and I'm a little on the broke side right now. Right now I'm going on 10 days (I think) since a full elimination and I'm miserable :(

Erin

• Administrators

Hi Emily,

I've read through the entire thread as I'm in the same boat as you. I've been eating Whole30 since January 1 and have found for the last little while that I just cannot go. I was hoping that maybe you found a method to relief the issue but it seems as though you're still out of luck. I feel the same as how you're describing but I've gotten to the point where it's been so long since a proper elimination that I feel bloated and fat all the time. My clothes are starting to fit tighter and it makes me feel like cr*p all the time. I've tried Natural Calm and, while it helps me sleep, it does nothing for the bathroom. For a few hours after taking it, my stomach gurgles and rumbles and then nothing. It's been so long since a proper poop that I picked up unflavoured Milk of Magnesia to see if that would help. I took a Pepto sized capful on Monday night and here I am Thursday morning and nothing. Again, my stomach gurgles and sounds like things are going to start moving and then nothing. I literally feel like I have to go ALL the time but bathroom visits are unproductive. I drink plenty of water (3-4 591mL bottles a day, so that's like 60-80 ounces) and eat all compliant foods and I'm still stuck. I've done three normal 30 day whole30s without the bathroom issues. This has been more of a recent thing. I did lose my father at the end of June and have had some mental/depression issues (I posted a thread about it in the medical condition forum) but since coming back to work the anxiety/lack of sleep/mental fog has gotten better (I have an appointment with my family doctor on July 27 to schedule blood work) so maybe it was stress related? I've been back to work since July 6 but still no luck on getting moving. For others particpating in my thread, here's an example of a daily meal:

M1- two hard boiled eggs, pear, banana or a handful of coconut strips and raisins (NOT all three fruit, usually just one if any). Drink iced coffee made with Silk Cashew Milk (like 1/4). I understand this isn't the greatest meal 1 but I eat on the go for breakfast and it's the easiest to repeat. On weekends, I usually have two fried eggs and salad.

M2- yesterday was 1 full chicken breast, cooked in evoo, tomatoes, compliant salsa, onion, green and red peppers shredded over 1 full head of romaine.

M3- salad made of romaine, iceberg, cucumber, radishes, celery, broccoli, cauliflower, walnuts, balsamic dressing (balsamic, evoo, garlic, dijon mustard) and two eggs fried in ghee.

another example of a M3 from a weekend at the boyfriend's house is steak or chicken BBQ'd with a baked white or sweet potato, cucumber slices or salad or steamed veggie mix (carrots, broccoli, cauliflower) and maybe some grapes/cherries if on sale at the grocery store

I keep my nut intake very limited as I've found they make me bloated. I haven't had nut butter in months. I'm going to try and incorporate more carbs (read the mental post) and see if that helps. I cannot seem to find ANY saukerkraut in my area that does not have sugar added. I can get Kombucha from one store but it's $5 a bottle and I'm a little on the broke side right now. Right now I'm going on 10 days (I think) since a full elimination and I'm miserable :(

Erin

Holy moly, Erin.  First thing, up your water intake.  Double it at least. Seriously.  We recommend half an ounce per pound of bodyweight.  60oz is great if you weigh 120 pounds and are not having digestive issues.  

Second, I would consider eliminating the raw veggies and gravitate towards cooked.  Raw veggies can be difficult digestively.  Try cooked veggies for a couple weeks.

You could brew your own Kombucha, that makes it a LOT cheaper!  There's a thread on the forum about Kombucha brewing and of course there is tonnes of info online.

As Tom said to someone else in another thread, it's possible that you are not eating nearly enough in order to facilitate proper digestion and elimination.  That and the reduced water content could be part of this problem.  

10 days is a very long time to go without pooping, it's possible you may need to take a laxative to get things cleared out while you figure out what the issues are.

Does any of this sound like it could help?

Hi Ladyshanny,

Thanks for your input, you're always more than helpful :P The only time I "measure"  what is if I'm working because I drink pre-determined bottle sizes (Dasani). I weigh 142 (well I did on July 7 and I haven't pooped since then so I definitely weigh more now) so I aim for the 70 ounces but it's ususally 60-80 depending on the day. Really hot days will have more, really lazy days will have the lower side. I know I'm horrible with drinking so that's my number 1 priority.

I'm going to try to eat more cooked veggies (after this week's lunches as they're premade on Sundays) and see if that helps at all. I'll make a sweet tater hash and maybe some roasted squash or zucchini.

I do think I may not be eating enough. My problem is that I'm a night eater. I'm always hungriest at like 9-10 pm so I try not to eat as I'll just be going to bed anyways. I'm also a grazer. I always ate as I was preparing food and then still ate the meal so I've been trying to avoid doing that and eating just the meal once prepared.

As far as Kombucha, I'll really have to look into how to do that myself. I've found I don't mind the taste (I had issues with the ginger flavoured ones but found I LOVE the grape Synergy). I'm not sure if anywhere around here sells the starters so I'll have to check online for Canadian shipping.

I have taken a Ducolax or two in the past and found the same issues as the Natural Calm and the Milk of Magnesia. It's like my body is great at pulling the water into the intestines and then just letting it sit there :huh:  It almost feels as though my intestines have forgotten how to contract to get things moving :wacko:

• Administrators

Hi Ladyshanny,

Thanks for your input, you're always more than helpful :P The only time I "measure"  what is if I'm working because I drink pre-determined bottle sizes (Dasani). I weigh 142 (well I did on July 7 and I haven't pooped since then so I definitely weigh more now) so I aim for the 70 ounces but it's ususally 60-80 depending on the day. Really hot days will have more, really lazy days will have the lower side. I know I'm horrible with drinking so that's my number 1 priority.

I'm going to try to eat more cooked veggies (after this week's lunches as they're premade on Sundays) and see if that helps at all. I'll make a sweet tater hash and maybe some roasted squash or zucchini.

I do think I may not be eating enough. My problem is that I'm a night eater. I'm always hungriest at like 9-10 pm so I try not to eat as I'll just be going to bed anyways. I'm also a grazer. I always ate as I was preparing food and then still ate the meal so I've been trying to avoid doing that and eating just the meal once prepared.

As far as Kombucha, I'll really have to look into how to do that myself. I've found I don't mind the taste (I had issues with the ginger flavoured ones but found I LOVE the grape Synergy). I'm not sure if anywhere around here sells the starters so I'll have to check online for Canadian shipping.

I have taken a Ducolax or two in the past and found the same issues as the Natural Calm and the Milk of Magnesia. It's like my body is great at pulling the water into the intestines and then just letting it sit there :huh:  It almost feels as though my intestines have forgotten how to contract to get things moving :wacko:

First, where do you live? If you're near Vancouver/Coquitlam, I'll give you a starter and a lesson.  :D

The night eating....this is a hormone imbalance issue most often.  Are you eating within an hour of waking?  This is the quickest way to rejig your hormones and put an end to the need/desire to night eat (some is psychological but that is easier to deal with if your body doesn't think 10pm is feeding time).

Try a suppository?  Things might be so backed up you might need to go at it from the other end?

Unfortunately, I'm in Hamilton, ON. I do have an Aunt who now lives in Maple (?) but used to live in Port Coquitlam. I get the Synergy at Goodness Me so maybe I can check there for a starter.

On weekends, I pretty much eat as soon as I wake up. On workdays I eat at 8:00-8:30 am and I wake up at 6:30-6:40 everyday. Maybe I should wake up a little earlier to eat first? My meal times are usually pretty set. M1= 8-8:30, M2= ALWAYS 1pm when I'm working. I tell management it's my lunchtime and I eat at 1 every day lol M3= if I'm at my place it's 5:30/6pm if we drive out to the boyfriend's house it's 7ish (he's an hour drive from the city).

I may just have to try help from the other end lol. You'd think eating healthier would help but the longer I eat whole foods only, the worse it seems to get.

• Administrators

Unfortunately, I'm in Hamilton, ON. I do have an Aunt who now lives in Maple (?) but used to live in Port Coquitlam. I get the Synergy at Goodness Me so maybe I can check there for a starter.

On weekends, I pretty much eat as soon as I wake up. On workdays I eat at 8:00-8:30 am and I wake up at 6:30-6:40 everyday. Maybe I should wake up a little earlier to eat first? My meal times are usually pretty set. M1= 8-8:30, M2= ALWAYS 1pm when I'm working. I tell management it's my lunchtime and I eat at 1 every day lol M3= if I'm at my place it's 5:30/6pm if we drive out to the boyfriend's house it's 7ish (he's an hour drive from the city).

I may just have to try help from the other end lol. You'd think eating healthier would help but the longer I eat whole foods only, the worse it seems to get.

Oh, that sucks, I was looking forward to maybe getting you going on Kombucha.  If you can find the GT Dave's Plain, you can use that to grow your own scoby.  Here's an article I wrote about my own experience brewing and an excerpt about growing your own:

So….getting a SCOBY.  SCOBY stands for Symbiotic Colony Of Bacteria And Yeast.  If you can’t get a scoby and some starter tea from someone you know (if you’re local, hit me up!), you can grow your own.  The downside to growing your own is that you have to wait quite awhile for it to mature so that you can use it.  The upside to growing your own is that you can grow a couple at a time so that you always have a backup in case one meets an unfortunate end.  To grow your own scoby, buy a bottle of plain kombucha, pour it into a glass jar (a canning jar works great), put a coffee filter and a rubber band over the top (you do NOT want fruit flies getting in there!) , wrap a towel around it for darkness and put it somewhere ambient and dark.  Don’t bug it.  Once you can’t stand the suspense anymore (around 10-14 days after starting), you can check on it.  There should be a layer forming on the top and once it’s about ¼” thick, you’re ready to go.  (when I did mine, my first scoby sank to the bottom around Day 7 and a new one started to grow on the top.  Between the two I figured I had enough ready and I used it successfully.) I did not feed mine, but after researching it, I would feed it next time (1 cup of strong black tea sweetened with 1/8 cup sugar and cooled, added to the plain kombucha) so that it grew quicker and healthier.

I know this sounds really basic. But I had serious problems with constipation during my second Whole 30 and couldn't figure out what was going on. I even went to the doctor about it. They suggested upping my water intake to 120-150 ounces of water a day. I scoffed at this because 1. I thought I already drank that and 2. I couldn't imagine that water was the problem. Needless to say, I made sure that I drank 150 ounces of water every day. I measured and counted and learned that 1. I was probably only getting 60 ounces a day. before 2. The constipation problems got solved. So before you try all kinds of crazy things, I would measure your water intake and make sure you are getting enough. The doctor said that when you up your vegetable intake, it just doesn't digest as well unless you up your water intake as well. I eat pretty healthy most of the time when not doing a Whole 30 so I assumed that I wasn't really upping my vegetable intake much. It turned out that I was upping it enough to cause constipation problems.

• 2 months later...

Archived