Let's talk (non-traditional) breakfasts

• Moderators

Wow, Shannon! You got so much color on your bok choy that I thought they were roasted potatoes at first!

I tried to just sprinkle a little Chinese five spice on it and it spilled. They didn't really get that brown, but they were very flavorful.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Salad for breakfast this morning. Grilled chicken thighs, spring mix greens, celery, cucumber, jicama, tomatoes, chopped bacon, fried ginger, roasted garlic mayo, and pineapple-raspberry kombucha.

20150726_090643.jpg

• Like 3

Leftover pork ribs with homemade barbecue sauce, a hardboiled egg, and roasted kabocha squash.

This was my "wow, I kinda failed to prep for the week" breakfast and involved foraging for whatever leftovers I could find.

Brisket, slow cooked in a little lard (from when I sealed it in the pan), cloves, & garam masala, served with a full bag of spinach & a quarter onion (which reduced down to about 2 cups when sauteed), a beef tomato and a handful of olives.

The brisket had cooked over night with some shin in my crock-pot and was so tender.

• Like 4

I too don't like eggs in a recognizable form, although if cooked hard mixed with lots of other flavors I can stomach them. I found out the dislike of the eggy taste is a recessive gene having to do with the sulphur compounds. I have 5 close family members who share this. It's similar to the gene that causes 10% of the population to think fresh cilantro tastes like soap. I have no other food dislikes and like liver, all veggies, okra, and am an adventurous eater of strange foreign foods. Turns out I'm a Supertaster. Google it to find out if you are too-- easy test you can do. Also related to number of tastebuds.

• Like 2

This morning I had a quick version of the paleomg buffalo chicken 'pasta'. Fried some already chopped onions, added zoodles, already cooked chicken and some carrot strips made with my peeler. Heated it all, dumped mayo and Frank's on top, heated it more. Utterly delicious.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've been making soups for breakfast. I love rich creamy soups so coconut milk or cream is generally added to achieve that. Today I had Cream of Mushroom topped with chopped hard boiled egg. Another favorite it Creamy Tomato and Chicken Soup and Zuppa Toscano with Kale and Sausage. When I don't feel like a black cup of coffee, a nice cup or bowl of soup fills the spot just nicely.  :)

• 1 month later...

My favorite combination right now for breakfast hash is: lean ground beef, butternut squash, kale and mushrooms. I also add salt & pepper, coconut milk & green curry paste and add ghee for added fat. If I have time I will have it with a couple sunny side up eggs on top. The runny yolk tastes absolutely delish over the breakfast hash.

• Like 1

Today I had to be out of the house early so I had a homemade veggie platter that was just chopped raw veggies I had prepared (broccoli, bell pepper, snap peas, cherry tomatoes) with some tahini to dip, and some hard boiled eggs!

Super easy and super delicious!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

We have been having "turkey dinner" for breakfast this week. I cooked a turkey for Canadian Thanksgiving and then put half the meat in a large baking dish, drowned it in the turkey drippings and then froze it.  Then, this week I defrosted and heated the whole thing up (no dry turkey, it reheated in a pool of its drippings) and we've been having turkey, mashed potatoes and roasted brussel sprouts for breakfast all week.  It's been quite delightful!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm an egg eater, so it's very rare for me to have eggless breakfasts. But here are a couple from the past:

11Breakfast.JPG

Slow cooked beef stew with butternut squash, kale, and onions

04Breakfast.JPG

Chicken sausage with kabocha squash and apples

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
On 7/3/2015 at 9:16 PM, ShannonM816 said:

I'm not sure if this is breakfast, or more of a brunch, since I slept later than usual, but this is what I had for my first meal today:

20150703_141852.jpg

Elvis burger (hamburger patty topped with almond butter, banana, and bacon), collard greens, and sweet potatoes (yes, they were slightly burnt. One of these days I'll learn to set a timer). 

Um - WhAt?!? I was on here looking for some breakfast ideas and saw the Elvis Burger. That is the strangest sounding thing I have EVER heard of! And really, it's good?? I just can't get my head around it. I enjoy all of the components individually, but ... can someone describe this to me?? I even checked to make sure this wasn't posted on April 1, LOL. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Oh, it's good...... :wub:

Not for an every day type of thing the way you'd make a pot of chilli to last all week, but every now & then? Perfect.

I am so intrigued. Day 2 tomorrow and I have some uncooked burgers in the fridge.... I might have to try it just out of morbid curiosity! I normally season my burgers with salt, garlic and black pepper - would you season it differently for an Elvis burger??  

2 minutes ago, decker_bear said:

I am so intrigued. Day 2 tomorrow and I have some uncooked burgers in the fridge.... I might have to try it just out of morbid curiosity! I normally season my burgers with salt, garlic and black pepper - would you season it differently for an Elvis burger??  

I'm low FODMAP so don't do garlic, but I do add salt & pepper.

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, decker_bear said:

Those seasonings would be fine. Obviously, the Elvis burger is almond butter (or sun butter, or whatever nut/seed butter you prefer) with bananas and bacon, there's also another variation -- the SB&J burger -- where you cook strawberries down to a jelly-like consistency, instead of the bananas. Both are tasty. Like jmcbn said, not an everyday thing necessarily, but a nice change of pace.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...