Let's talk (non-traditional) breakfasts

I'm busy with my kids in the mornings so I batch cook huge amounts of paleo chili (basically regular chili but I use chunks of zuchinni instead of beans) and freeze them into meal sized portions and just pop one in the microwave most mornings. I save my dinner leftovers for lunch when I can sit down and actually enjoy the variety, but the chili works to makes sure I get fed in the morning madness. I have been doing this for years now (since my first whole 30). Sometimes I'll eat something else but there is always a huge stack of paleo something sitting in containers in my freezer for easy breakfasts, especially since I don't eat eggs. I've always hated breakfast food so this was a very welcome lifestyle change.

On 02/08/2015 at 9:35 PM, Noellerenee said:

I too don't like eggs in a recognizable form, although if cooked hard mixed with lots of other flavors I can stomach them. I found out the dislike of the eggy taste is a recessive gene having to do with the sulphur compounds. I have 5 close family members who share this. It's similar to the gene that causes 10% of the population to think fresh cilantro tastes like soap. I have no other food dislikes and like liver, all veggies, okra, and am an adventurous eater of strange foreign foods. Turns out I'm a Supertaster. Google it to find out if you are too-- easy test you can do. Also related to number of tastebuds.

how interesting, I loathe eggs and cilantro haha

I ate eggs over roasted broccoli this am with coconut cream in my coffee. but a lot of mornings (because I work afternoons/evenings) I make veggie fritters of some kind - cauliflower, zucchini, potato, with an egg and coconut shreds to bind. Usually make a larger batch and have some for work too. Also I sometimes make a big batch of soup for dinner and I find a really like eating soup in the am with usually some additional veg or avocado on the side. 

• 9 months later...

I guess I have to think of breakfast differently than what I would consider traditional breakfast foods. Those are all meals I would normally eat for lunch or dinner. I'm going to try just having last night's dinner leftovers for breakfast the next morning and see how I feel. I think I am just used to a less intricate breakfast (I used to make quinoa like oatmeal with fruit mixed in) or I'd have a smoothie with fruits and veggies. I am sick to death of eggs. Still not so sure how I feel about a salad for breakfast. Maybe I'll just do a vegetable stir fry (peppers, onions, garlic) and a side of chicken or beef sausage.

Thank you all for posting your breakfast ideas. I just need to adjust my thinking (it's another meal, I don't need to call it breakfast).

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators
On 7/1/2019 at 4:28 PM, logicallie said:

Today was my first day on Whole30, and I made sweet potato toast with almond butter and bananas for breakfast.

This is compliant, but we really, really recommend you make all your meals match the meal template. This meal is lacking protein (almond butter is  a fat), and is pretty light on the vegetables. Maybe try sweet potato toast topped with taco-seasoned ground meat, guacamole, tomatoes, and if you like a little spice, some jalapenos. Or sweet potato toast topped with smoked salmon, avocado, tomato, and red onion. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/4/2015 at 5:16 AM, ShannonM816 said:

Elvis burger (hamburger patty topped with almond butter, banana, and bacon), collard greens, and sweet potatoes (yes, they were slightly burnt. One of these days I'll learn to set a timer). 

I had no idea about the existence of a burger topped with nut butter, banana and bacon! And that it was called Elvis! (Living in Europe may explain it). Many thanks for sharing it, it seems an "interesting" pairing.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I prepped my breakfast for the week today:
coconut oil in a large skillet, add chopped onions, add a package or two of Aidells cut up apple chicken sausage & let brown... add a handful of shredded carrots, 3 chopped granny smith apples, kale... salt/pepper & a couple of shakes of pumpkin spice... sometimes I add some shredded unsweetened coconut for a little extra healthy fat.  

• 1 year later...

I am just starting Whole30, but I need some help with breakfast.  I have never been much of a breakfast eater, would only do something liquid & then eat some solids later in the morning.  Many times when I even think of making something for a breakfast, the thought of solids would just 'turn' my stomach.  This has come from many years of eating breakfast many hours after waking up dating back to childhood where we had to be up very, very early in the morning to do horse-related work first thing in the morning.  So, it would typically be about 3-4 hours later before even having breakfast.  I love looking at the breakfast suggestions here & just love the ideas for non-traditional breakfast but the servings sizes are way too much for me.  I would need to have some ideas on how to entice my body to want to have breakfast without waiting for a number of hours after waking up.

Thank you.