ShannonM816

Let's talk (non-traditional) breakfasts

I'm busy with my kids in the mornings so I batch cook huge amounts of paleo chili (basically regular chili but I use chunks of zuchinni instead of beans) and freeze them into meal sized portions and just pop one in the microwave most mornings. I save my dinner leftovers for lunch when I can sit down and actually enjoy the variety, but the chili works to makes sure I get fed in the morning madness. I have been doing this for years now (since my first whole 30). Sometimes I'll eat something else but there is always a huge stack of paleo something sitting in containers in my freezer for easy breakfasts, especially since I don't eat eggs. I've always hated breakfast food so this was a very welcome lifestyle change.

On 02/08/2015 at 9:35 PM, Noellerenee said:

I too don't like eggs in a recognizable form, although if cooked hard mixed with lots of other flavors I can stomach them. I found out the dislike of the eggy taste is a recessive gene having to do with the sulphur compounds. I have 5 close family members who share this. It's similar to the gene that causes 10% of the population to think fresh cilantro tastes like soap. I have no other food dislikes and like liver, all veggies, okra, and am an adventurous eater of strange foreign foods. Turns out I'm a Supertaster. Google it to find out if you are too-- easy test you can do. Also related to number of tastebuds.

how interesting, I loathe eggs and cilantro haha

I ate eggs over roasted broccoli this am with coconut cream in my coffee. but a lot of mornings (because I work afternoons/evenings) I make veggie fritters of some kind - cauliflower, zucchini, potato, with an egg and coconut shreds to bind. Usually make a larger batch and have some for work too. Also I sometimes make a big batch of soup for dinner and I find a really like eating soup in the am with usually some additional veg or avocado on the side. 

I guess I have to think of breakfast differently than what I would consider traditional breakfast foods. Those are all meals I would normally eat for lunch or dinner. I'm going to try just having last night's dinner leftovers for breakfast the next morning and see how I feel. I think I am just used to a less intricate breakfast (I used to make quinoa like oatmeal with fruit mixed in) or I'd have a smoothie with fruits and veggies. I am sick to death of eggs. Still not so sure how I feel about a salad for breakfast. Maybe I'll just do a vegetable stir fry (peppers, onions, garlic) and a side of chicken or beef sausage.

Thank you all for posting your breakfast ideas. I just need to adjust my thinking (it's another meal, I don't need to call it breakfast).