Let's talk (non-traditional) breakfasts

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Oh, fun!     As it is currently Eight Billion Degrees here today, I thought I'd start off this morning with a salad.  And yes, I ate it out of a huge tupperware because as we always say, you

I thought to post this shot of my breakfast prep this morning.  On the weekend I diced 5 bell peppers, 3# green beans, a bunch of steamed potatoes and some ham (note, the ham is not compliant but I am

2 pounds ground chicken (I use ground chicken thighs as it's moister...if you use ground breast, add some of the bacon fat for richness) 1 pound bacon, diced and cooked until very crispy,

Posted Images

Leftover pork ribs with homemade barbecue sauce, a hardboiled egg, and roasted kabocha squash.

This was my "wow, I kinda failed to prep for the week" breakfast and involved foraging for whatever leftovers I could find.

Brisket, slow cooked in a little lard (from when I sealed it in the pan), cloves, & garam masala, served with a full bag of spinach & a quarter onion (which reduced down to about 2 cups when sauteed), a beef tomato and a handful of olives.

The brisket had cooked over night with some shin in my crock-pot and was so tender.

I too don't like eggs in a recognizable form, although if cooked hard mixed with lots of other flavors I can stomach them. I found out the dislike of the eggy taste is a recessive gene having to do with the sulphur compounds. I have 5 close family members who share this. It's similar to the gene that causes 10% of the population to think fresh cilantro tastes like soap. I have no other food dislikes and like liver, all veggies, okra, and am an adventurous eater of strange foreign foods. Turns out I'm a Supertaster. Google it to find out if you are too-- easy test you can do. Also related to number of tastebuds.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been making soups for breakfast. I love rich creamy soups so coconut milk or cream is generally added to achieve that. Today I had Cream of Mushroom topped with chopped hard boiled egg. Another favorite it Creamy Tomato and Chicken Soup and Zuppa Toscano with Kale and Sausage. When I don't feel like a black cup of coffee, a nice cup or bowl of soup fills the spot just nicely.  :)

• 1 month later...

My favorite combination right now for breakfast hash is: lean ground beef, butternut squash, kale and mushrooms. I also add salt & pepper, coconut milk & green curry paste and add ghee for added fat. If I have time I will have it with a couple sunny side up eggs on top. The runny yolk tastes absolutely delish over the breakfast hash.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrators

We have been having "turkey dinner" for breakfast this week. I cooked a turkey for Canadian Thanksgiving and then put half the meat in a large baking dish, drowned it in the turkey drippings and then froze it.  Then, this week I defrosted and heated the whole thing up (no dry turkey, it reheated in a pool of its drippings) and we've been having turkey, mashed potatoes and roasted brussel sprouts for breakfast all week.  It's been quite delightful!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 7/3/2015 at 9:16 PM, ShannonM816 said:

I'm not sure if this is breakfast, or more of a brunch, since I slept later than usual, but this is what I had for my first meal today:

20150703_141852.jpg

Elvis burger (hamburger patty topped with almond butter, banana, and bacon), collard greens, and sweet potatoes (yes, they were slightly burnt. One of these days I'll learn to set a timer). 

Um - WhAt?!? I was on here looking for some breakfast ideas and saw the Elvis Burger. That is the strangest sounding thing I have EVER heard of! And really, it's good?? I just can't get my head around it. I enjoy all of the components individually, but ... can someone describe this to me?? I even checked to make sure this wasn't posted on April 1, LOL. 

38 minutes ago, jmcbn said:

Oh, it's good...... :wub:

Not for an every day type of thing the way you'd make a pot of chilli to last all week, but every now & then? Perfect.

I am so intrigued. Day 2 tomorrow and I have some uncooked burgers in the fridge.... I might have to try it just out of morbid curiosity! I normally season my burgers with salt, garlic and black pepper - would you season it differently for an Elvis burger??  

2 minutes ago, decker_bear said:

I am so intrigued. Day 2 tomorrow and I have some uncooked burgers in the fridge.... I might have to try it just out of morbid curiosity! I normally season my burgers with salt, garlic and black pepper - would you season it differently for an Elvis burger??  

I'm low FODMAP so don't do garlic, but I do add salt & pepper.

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, decker_bear said:

Those seasonings would be fine. Obviously, the Elvis burger is almond butter (or sun butter, or whatever nut/seed butter you prefer) with bananas and bacon, there's also another variation -- the SB&J burger -- where you cook strawberries down to a jelly-like consistency, instead of the bananas. Both are tasty. Like jmcbn said, not an everyday thing necessarily, but a nice change of pace.

• 4 months later...