VLC or Keto Whole30 start July 1!

CaseyD

I know I've seen a couple of people do these, and I plan on making my July Whole30 a very low carb experiment. I've done several W30's, including the AIP, and it is time to run a different kind of experiment. 

Anyone out there interested in joining me on this style of W30?

No lo carb for me

I'm eating template

I'd pass out or feel exhausted Are you sure you want to do this??

Is it following the Template W30?

This is a copy from Moderator Shannon

In general, make sure you're eating enough and following the meal template. That's 1-2 palm-size portions of protein (that's the length, width, and depth of your palm), 1-2 thumb-sized servings of fat (or heaping handfuls of olives or coconut flakes, 1/2 to a whole avocado, or a small handful of nuts or seeds), and 2-3 cups of vegetables. Do that three times a day, with the first meal within an hour of waking up. At least once a day have a fist-sized serving of starchy vegetables like sweet potato, winter squash, or root vegetables, and have more than that if you're very active, prone to depression or anxiety, pregnant, nursing, or during the week leading up to your period. Drink 1/2 your body weight in ounces of water each day (so if you weigh 120 lbs, drink at least 60 oz of water). Salt your food to taste -- without processed food in your diet, your salt consumption goes way down unless you actively add salt, and we do need some salt in our diets. And if you work out, follow the guidelines on the template for pre- and post-workout meals as needed.

Ok, to be clear, I have done keto before, after over a month eating clean paleo. After a couples weeks I went back to sugar because I emotional eat when hugely stressful things happen in life. But, I felt amazing those couples week of keto in a way I never have before.

I've kept my diet mostly paleo for a few years, except when life gets super stressful in a bad way. So, I'm very familiar with how my body feels and what to expect! ;-)

Yeah, I wouldn't think this would be a good idea for someone new to Whole30 or who knows for a fact they can't handle low carb - or someone who does Crossfit like 4-6 times a week. But, I've seen a few people on here do keto style W30's. Also, keto is not no-carb so you can eat 2-3 cups of veggies at each meal, as long as you pick the right ones. But, yes, it is higher fat to compensate. The meal template is a recommendation, not a rule, luckily. 

I'm an Army Family Nurse Practitioner who's been advocating the Whole 30 program since my first round last year where I went from 25% body fat to 11% 30 days later. I'd like to join the 01 JUL 2015 start of another Whole 30 round with you guys.

See you with the July 1st crowd

There's about 140+

Good luck to you!

Archived