Start Date June 29! Anyone else???

Margot

I am a busy wife and mom of 3 teenage boys and have found myself in a place that is health wise unacceptable to me. The time to change is now! Is anyone else starting out today??? I would LOVE to find a few others as accountability partners! I'm feeling determined and ready to take this on!!!

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have two boys and a daughter, married, work full time +  (lots of built in and expected overtime for me)  Looking to really clean up my act before I turn 40 next spring and I think this is the way to get myself where I'd like to be!

I am starting today as well!! I'm excited but a bit nervous. I feel as though I am a bit cloudy on the 'rules'. I know we can eat meat, seafood, veggies, fruits, and nuts, but I'm not sure about portion sizes and if you have to have certain things at certain meals. Any help would be appreciated. :o

Good day All,

I am a newbie and started today.  I hit the big 5-0 so thought it was time to take charge of me.  External Allergies plague my life so once I got that under control the next step is to get control of the sugar.  I was very active until a few years ago so with a few surgeries and weight gain that have really slowed me down.  I want to start feeling good again and not tired. 

I am married and have a teenage son that will start college in the fall still living at home.  Since I am the main cook they will end up being on the plan at least for dinners..  otherwise looking for support here in the forums and keep me accountable.

So here is to some new energy and weight loss would be nice too!

I am starting today as well!! I'm excited but a bit nervous. I feel as though I am a bit cloudy on the 'rules'. I know we can eat meat, seafood, veggies, fruits, and nuts, but I'm not sure about portion sizes and if you have to have certain things at certain meals. Any help would be appreciated. :o

Take a look at the meal template which Firefrog has linked for you, then be sure to limit fruit (if you choose to eat it) to 1-2 servings per day with or as part of a meal - never alone as a snack. Nuts, nut butters & dried fruits should also all be eaten in moderation. Nuts are a fat source on whole30, not a protein.

Be sure to include at least one fist sized serving of starchy veg each day to help with mood & energy levels, and also to help with the transition from your old diet to the new.

You can play around with it, but a lot of folks report that they fare better saving fruit & starchy veg for meal three as it avoids the afternoon slump...

Eggs, when they are your sole source of protein should be the number of whole eggs you can hold in one hand which is 3-4 for most people.

Coffee if you drink it should be taken after meals rather than before, especially in the morning, as it is an appetite suppressant.

Be sure to follow the meal template three times a day - the first within an hour of wakening - and you'll be on the right track....

Good luck!

Thanks for letting me know about this thread, Firefrog!

I'm a first timer and today is Day 1 for me. I'm married with no children and I'm off for the summer. Yay teaching!

I'm so happy to have some accounability buddies and look forward to getting to know you all.

Dawn

Yes!  I'm starting today too.  Been preparing all weekend and still doing a little catch up cooking today.  I'm 55, also with two teenage sons!  Asthma and chronic bronchitis have plagued me for over a year now even though I am a non-smoker. Allergy testing did not turn up any causes and after a year on and off antibiotics and steroids I am turning to the Whole 30 to clean up my diet and to see if I can find a cause.  The illness and steroids have also packed an extra 10 pounds on my already somewhat overweight body which is not good news to my knees so weight loss would be a welcome bonus.  No one is my family is with me on the Whole 30 so if I can do it (it's only 30 days right?) I'm going to rely heavily on the forum.

Well made it through 3 meals and prepped for tomorrow.  lots of prep, lots of time in the kitchen and I'm no where near the prep time they suggest on the recipes!  lol takes me a lot longer.  Hoping that it will get easier so my nights after work aren't tide to the kitchen.  Will probably do more cooking on Sunday so won't have so much in the week. I saw that if you are eating eggs alone it should be four? Is this correct?

I think I read some where that eat about as many as you can hold in your hand...3 or 4.  Congrats on Day 1!  I'm too tired to plan much for tomorrow but at least I have plenty of compliant foods on hand to get the day off to a good start.  I'm having some confusion about compliant fats.  I've studied the list and I don't know why canola oil is a no/no but lard and duck fat are okay?  It concerns me because there is no way I'm going to get around eating out on the Whole 30 and I see soy as a concern but don't understand why the type of fat used is so important.  Anyone know?

we (hubby and I) started on the 29th :) We live in Australia, have done whole 30 in may and saw great results.  both myself and hubby lost 2.8kgs which for me is great since I have hypothyroidism and slow metabolism and probably adrenal issues.  but more than theweight loss my cholesterol has come down and I had to decrease my thyroid meds.  We are normally paleo and part of the results were from being paleo a year like cholesterol being down but my throid had come down just before whole 30 so the dr wanted meto do more blood tests in 6 weeks it happened to be the day I finished whole 30.  It had gone down even more :)

also I had more energy by the end and my artritis was not so bad.  So hubby and I decided to do it for 2 months this time. anyway I am a mother of 3 the youngest is 17 and the only one at home, both my hubby and I are divorced and remarried and he has one son who lives with his mum and only gets to see us every second Saturday and only during the day.

To answer Nowim55 canola is very bad for you, it is full of pesticides and most canola is full of gmo's

Here is part of what Mark Sisson says from marks daily apple :)

"

Canola was a hybrid derived from rapeseed to reduce the high erucic acid content of traditional rapeseed oil, which had a bitter taste and toxic effects from the acid. Canola oil is also called LEAR (Low Erucic Acid Rapeseed). Like most cash crops, the largest share of the market is by far GMO-based, and one corporate GMO giant, Monsanto, has been accused more than once of the release of unapproved GMO seed varieties. Despite all the genetic engineering, somehow canola remains one of the most heavily pesticide-treated crops. Hmmm – wonder how that all works.

Continuing on the canola’s journey now…. Once harvested and graded, seeds are heated to facilitate oil extraction. Most canola oil is chemically extracted using the harsh petroleum-derived solvent hexane. Even when expeller pressing is used, a process common to organic brands, the massive force of industrial presses still produces heat. True “cold-pressed” canola oil (extracted with millstones) does exist but can be hard to find and is more expensive.

Following extraction, canola oil must be de-gummed to remove unappealing solids that settle during storage. The process involves heat and sometimes the addition of acids. Next stop, the oil is then bleached and separated. Finally, the oil (known for its stench) must be deodorized through heating methods that use temperatures as high as 500 Fahrenheit.

(Frankly, the whole process is rather unappetizing if you ask me. Deodorized food? Seriously.)

This brings us back to the omega-3 issue. Polyunsaturated fats aren’t the most stable fats out there. In fact, they’re pretty sensitive to heat and will turn rancid quickly. Obviously, canola oil undergoes a good deal of heating and heat-related degeneration in its processing. Needless to say, this is no good. Whatever omega-3 benefit there might have been is gone – like keys in lava, as one of the old Jack Handey quotes put it. What’s more is, you end up with a small but damaging amount of trans fat in your “heart healthy” oil. How’s that for irony?"

Wow!  Thank you for your answer.   I had no idea and I consider myself somewhat informed nutritionally.  So I suppose restaurants use a lot of Canola Oil. We live in Chicago and eat out way too much.  This is not necessarily my choice.  My husband just loves to eat out and he get's bummed if we eat at home too much (yes, it's insane).  I'm generally confident in my ability to find healthy choices when we eat out because we rarely eat at chains and I find I can do fine with a piece of grilled meat/fish and some salad.  But now I'll be bringing my own salad dressing and I guess I'll have to inquire which fats the restaurants use...and of course gluten and soy!  

Thanks again!  How did everyone do on day 1!  I feel like I ate really well and so far I'm not craving anything.  Tomorrow will be another story!

Looks like everyone had an easy time today which is great! I, myself, waivered a little around 3 but I hung in there thanks to all of you!!! So grateful for all the info in this forum! Day 2 is gonna be a piece of cake ;o)!!!

I had a great day 1, as expected from the timeline. I was feeling so excited and ready to start. I had three delicious meals and didn't have any negative side effects. I did get a little shaky about 3 hours after meal 1. I wasn't feeling hungry, just a little hand shake.

I went shopping for a few complaint items we didn't have (coconut aminos, ghee, coconut oil), but we were already well-stocked with meats and veggies. Hubby also helped me clean out our snack cupboard by putting a bunch of stuff aside to take to work to give to his coworkers.

I was very surprised to find I enjoy black coffee! I expected to find that I only drank it for the sugar creamy hit, but it turns out I just love coffee.

It was so nice and helpful to hear about your days!

Nowim55 when eating out you can ask for sauce on the side or no sauce or dressing...most dressings when eating out have sugar anyway so taking a homemade dressing or having it without is the best way :)

In Australia it's quite expensive to eat out so generally it's a special occasion thing unless you get things like Mcdonalds which can still be more expensive than eating at home. A bigmac burger at maccas here is about $5.50 without anything else.

Hi everyone here in Australia it's nearly the end of day two even though we started same date lol....

I know you can all do it :) 

according to the book tomorrow day 2 wont be as easy.

I think it depends on where you have come from regarding eating though....if you were still eating grains before starting it will be hard but I know you can do it :) 

if you were paleo before starting like we were then it will be easier....it will just be the sugar.  if I am really craving sugar and really don't think I can go another minute without eating something with sugar I will eat a date...I find it stops the craving :)

hubby and I have given up caffeine for this whole30 :( so no coffee here as it's not good for the adrenals and both of us need to allow our adrenals to heal.

I think I read some where that eat about as many as you can hold in your hand...3 or 4.  Congrats on Day 1!  I'm too tired to plan much for tomorrow but at least I have plenty of compliant foods on hand to get the day off to a good start.  I'm having some confusion about compliant fats.  I've studied the list and I don't know why canola oil is a no/no but lard and duck fat are okay?  It concerns me because there is no way I'm going to get around eating out on the Whole 30 and I see soy as a concern but don't understand why the type of fat used is so important.  Anyone know?

I

Nowim55 when eating out you can ask for sauce on the side or no sauce or dressing...most dressings when eating out have sugar anyway so taking a homemade dressing or having it without is the best way :)

In Australia it's quite expensive to eat out so generally it's a special occasion thing unless you get things like Mcdonalds which can still be more expensive than eating at home. A bigmac burger at maccas here is about $5.50 without anything else.

Hi everyone here in Australia it's nearly the end of day two even though we started same date lol....

I know you can all do it :)

according to the book tomorrow day 2 wont be as easy.

I think it depends on where you have come from regarding eating though....if you were still eating grains before starting it will be hard but I know you can do it :)

if you were paleo before starting like we were then it will be easier....it will just be the sugar.  if I am really craving sugar and really don't think I can go another minute without eating something with sugar I will eat a date...I find it stops the craving :)

hubby and I have given up caffeine for this whole30 :( so no coffee here as it's not good for the adrenals and both of us need to allow our adrenals to heal.

Hello from US

Started my second day and not bad,  woke up early on my own, even cleaned out my medicine cabinet before going to work and got to work early.  So feeling pretty good.  Hope this continues but I know better.  Made the salmon cakes last night and found I like them better this morning with their salsa and scrambled eggs.  Through in some mushrooms as well.  What recipes are your favorite?  

I did not feel so great yesterday as all of you seemed to but I'm attributing that to detoxing all the garbage I've been eating anyway, I slept MUCH better than is normal for me last night and woke up before my alarm this morning feeling pretty good...mornings are a little tough for me because I don't care too much for breakfast food and there are only so many eggs I can eat, but what's a girl to do...right??? Last night I fixed some compliant "spaghetti sauce" ( lean ground beef seasoned and cooked with diced onion, celery, and bell pepper with tomatoes ) and and had it over cauliflower that I had boiled down until it was pretty mushy. Trying to find things the hubs and kids will eat too cause they aren't much interested in all of this...but thinking that may be breakfast along with a cup of coffee(. stacy116 those salmon cakes sound pretty good! ) eating within an hour of waking is tough for me too...I like to enjoy my coffee and then eat several hours after waking...does that really matter I wonder??? Day 2 here I come

...eating within an hour of waking is tough for me too...I like to enjoy my coffee and then eat several hours after waking...does that really matter I wonder??? 

Yup, that really matters and is key to getting your hormones balanced.

Leave your coffee until after meal one as it is an appetite suppressant and won't help when you're already struggling to eat.

If you really can't eat your full template meal, then eat equal portions of the proteins, fats & veggies and pack the rest to eat as a mini meal as soon as you are able. You'll find that you will soon be hungry upon wakening.

Aaaahhhhhh...so that's what's wrong with me, LOL!!! I will definitely be sharing that little tidbit of info with my fam...they just all think I'm crazy ;o). Thanks jmcbn!!! I very much appreciate your wisdom! I did read the book and thought I had it all down but apparently do not. Though I don't want to eat when I get up I do make up for it throughout the day...I have 30lbs I would LOVE to get rid of! So very much hoping that turns out to be a side effect from this latest adventure of mine!!! Also going to try and get those 10,000 steps in today ;0)

Hey, Margot and all, I started my Whole50 yesterday... that oughta be a good start. I'm 53, newly moved to Colorado Springs, newly empty nester, and a has-been ultra marathoner and mountain climber. I hope to be a can-do (with some 53 year-old allowances) by next year. I will start with my first bike ride in a year.. getting my rear in gear will be painful!! I'm 40 pounds overweight have a non-functioning thyroid. I'm hopeful that I can see some reversal, Luv1another! I've never used Forums, but looks like I'm on my own. Hubby is supportive, but he's never had a weight problem in his life (at 56, he's still 6' and 165 lbs)  It has been a rough 7 years with my four kids' struggles with chronic disease, but things are stable now, and my body has decided to use this "season of peace" to rebel and shut down. Whole30 looks like what I need to cleanse my body, spirit, and mind from all the guck that has built up. Biggest hurdle: extreme reliance on Diet Coke. I don't drink coffee or tea. So where is my energy going to come from?!?!  I feel like a zombie.  :blink:

Archived