Start Date June 29! Anyone else???

Margot

It is day 29, and I am happy. Really off the walls happy. It was cold and rainy yesterday, and my favorite flannel top fit. I did chores, dog walks but in between settled down to some movies on the tv. I made a version of southwest chicken soup and brushed my dog. Loved the soup and realised I can do this 30 and more.

My plan is to weigh in on 31, because I can and then to stick the scale away for another 15-30 at least.

I am having salmon patties with salad ( today is my volunteer day at an advice centre) for m2 and for m3 chicken chilli with leeks.

Have a wonderful day 29!

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW! We are so close that I can taste it. Is it just me, or did the last 10 days fly by?

I am beginning to think that maybe, just maybe I have that tiger blood feeling coursing through my veins. I spent the weekend mostly MIA from online. It was easy to stick to W30! My BBQ went swimmingly, and was thankfully judgment-free from my in-laws (which I was worried about). I've started to map out my reintroduction protocol and will be finishing five days before I arrive for a week-long vacation on the beautiful east coast of Canada.

This weekend I learned after putting raw kale in an omelet that it does not agree with my stomach at all. Yikes! I'll be sticking to steamed from this point forward.

Grilled chicken thighs, sweet potato coins, salmon cakes, lettuce wraps, and pork chops are on the menu for the week.

I am most worried about reintroducing gluten and dairy, but am glad I have a 5 day buffer time before I leave. I am wondering how this re-intro works. Do we have to eat strict W30 during reintroduction, save for the days I reintroduce food groups? Mainly interested if I can have ketchup with a burger, bacon cured with sugar, a smoothie, or some type of paleo fruit crisp? 

Hey guys! 

I'm back. Missed y'all so very much. The hubby and I took  a trip down to the Texas Hill Country for a friend's wedding. Not going to  lie, I deviated from W30. But, I am glad I did. For me it was an experiment with my gut. I stayed on the diet as best as I could but realized something so much more- it is no longer a diet for me, it's a life style. I had a pancake at breakfast, took a few bites and was not interested. Did not even want wedding cake (which if any of y'all had met me before this, cake is my go to). My palette has changed and I am okay with that. I realized my gut is super sensitive to things. I asked for my grilled shrimp without butter and I could totally tell they did not hold the butter-it actually made me sick. 

I am not going to beat myself up. I am going to finish strong and then start another W30. I just feel so much better when I am eating clean and conscience. 

Schedule

Bronwyn, I think we're supposed to stick to whole 30 other than for the food group we are trying to reintroduce.  I think I read somewhere that post whole 30 the folks do not get so worked up about small amounts of sugar in things like ketchup and bacon...but avoid a dose of sugar..as in your coffee or tea or a piece of cake? I too am mapping out my plan.  Not going to reintroduce anything until I've got a plan.  Though I know the first thing that's going to get added back is soy...my kids love asian food and though I've been preparing asian style meals for them at home with coconut aminos, if we go out for asian in a restaurant, there will be no sure way to avoid soy.  I"d like to stay off gluten, dairy and legumes another 30 as I still don't have the asthma under control.  

I'm so happy that all of us have had some palette changes and that we've broken some bad habits.  Another bit of good news...my hubby has been sneaking peaks at the cook books and asking questions.  A sign that he is thinking and processing.  I hope he decides to give this a try because I know, like all of us, he's going to feel great if he does.  

Good to know Nowim. I think I'm going to remain paleo / whole30 ish and not worry too much about a little extra sugar in my ketchup or bacon (as long as it's natural). I recently found out about an awesome sounding book called "Paleo Takeout" I am planning on buying. http://thedomesticman.com/2015/04/30/paleo-takeout-recipe-list/

Lots of awesome sounding grain-free, dairy free recipes for Chinese, Japanese, and American food! He even made a post about W30 friendly recipes in the book http://thedomesticman.com/2015/06/21/the-whole30-and-aip-guide-to-paleo-takeout/

I am introducing alcohol first, legumes and soy, non-gluten grains, dairy, then gluten. Not looking forward to those days. I am not sure I am going to bother introducing too many legumes, just corn and peanuts. 

You have two options for reintroduction

- the structured: http://whole30.com/step-two-finished/

- or the slow roll: http://whole30.com/2014/09/dear-melissa-slow-reintroduction-roll/

The structured is where you reintro one food group at at time, keeping all else Whole30 compliant. You put two days of 100% Whole30 eating between each reintroduction, to account for any delayed reactions.

The slow roll is more not worrying about sugar in ketchup and dressings, and reintroducing other foods as they come up.

And btw, corn is a non-gluten grain, not a legume.

Day 30 has dawned in the UK, and I have learned lots about food, and me. I have tried some new foods and some old foods new ways. And gotten rid of some aches and pains somewhere along the way. Thank you for the laughs and the listening ear when it was so tough as I weaned off sugar I did not know was there, and sweeteners I did.

Today starts with a workout with my trainer, aerobics then zumba so am going to leap gazelle- liike out of bed and get breakfast going.

Day 30! Yipee!

We've made it, and I don't know about you, but I am feeling great! So ready to take all that I've learned out into the world (after reintroduction, of course). Nervous and excited about reintroduction.

M1 (OF DAY 30!!!): Spinach with ranch, two eggs fried in ghee, proscuitto and half a peach

M2: Five spice chicken lettuce salad with half an avocado, half a peach and some wild blueberries. I had an iced green Yerba Mate tea from DavidsTea (no funky ingredients).

Dinner tonight is pineapple teriyaki wings and cauliflower fried rice with veggies. A hopefully delicious meal to end this beautiful journey.

Are any of you going to be posting on the forum about your reintroductions / how that's going?

Hi Bronwyn,

Yes, it's day 30!  Just finished a nice dinner of lamb burgers (pita for the family), potatoes and cucumber/dill/mint/lemon relish along with some sauteed spinach! So good!  I'm going with the slow roll and I'm not sure where they will let us post?  Do we start a new blog on whole 9?  Those that are sticking with another whole 30 can just stay here I suppose.  Can't wait to see the numbers we all post tomorrow!  Have a great night all!

Hi Bronwyn,

Yes, it's day 30! Just finished a nice dinner of lamb burgers (pita for the family), potatoes and cucumber/dill/mint/lemon relish along with some sauteed spinach! So good! I'm going with the slow roll and I'm not sure where they will let us post? Do we start a new blog on whole 9? Those that are sticking with another whole 30 can just stay here I suppose. Can't wait to see the numbers we all post tomorrow! Have a great night all!

Congratulations on finishing your Whole30!

For those moving onto reintroductions, we invite you to create a new thread in the Post Whole30 Log section.http://forum.whole9life.com/forum/35-your-post-whole30-log/ This alleviates confusion for any future readers of this thread who might see examples of off-plan foods discussed or eaten.

Nsv's first, i feel well, less aching in my joints, digestive issues soothed and I have energy, which for me with an elevated tsh is amazing. I am also really pleased that I stuck to it. I did not out think it, or justify, or negotiate. I promised myself and I did it. Oh I certainly had a few of those ' no one will know moments'; but I drew on the strength of the rules and the kindness of the wonderful women in this forum and carried on. 209.7 on day 0 and 202.3 lbs this morning, which is really great. Am going to stay compliant til Friday night and have a glass of wine to celebrate and then stay strict w30 for another 30,

But wouldlike to post where my friends are. We could call it a slower than normal slow roll....

I thank you for welcoming me into this group, for your honesty and for posting when you were tired.

Nanc

Ladies we made it through!! I have to say the first 2 weeks were the hardest. The third week passed like a breeze as well as the fourth.

I noticed I don't feel bloated it, gassy or achy since I started the whole30. I don't feel sluggish either. I wish I had more energy but my 3 classes this semester have been draining me...

I was excited to weigh myself this morning. Before whole30 I weighed at 163 post whole30 I'm at 149.

I've learned so much about my eating habits and I'm glad I was able to find this group who has been soooo helpful. I can see myself doing another whole30 again soon.

Good Morning!

After some contemplation and self talk (it's just a number) I stepped off the scale.  From 156 to 149.  Brendapatx, we weigh the same!  So, I'm happy but mostly my body just feels slimmer.  I'm so happy that I've broken some habits and started some new ones.  Now I know I can face any social occasion without wine and all the food so to go off plan the occasion will have to be super special.  

I'm a little afraid of going off plan so, as per Whole 30 advise; I'm going to give this slow roll a try.  If the wheels come off then I'm back on the plan.http://http://whole30.com/2...roduction-roll/  I re-read this and clicked on the "riding your own bike" link.  As with all the material in this program, super helpful.  Anyone want to start posting here:  http://forum.whole9l...st-whole30-log/?

Whole 30 speaks to me more than any other plan that I've tried.  Weight Watchers, 17 day diet, Clean Burn Shake (recommended by my doctor but expensive and what did it really teach me other than how to make a tasty breakfast shake) even more than Mayo Clinic diet.  Because when all is said and done, I needed simple but firm rules.  Most importantly, looking at my SMART I have to say that I did it!  Asthma aside, I just feel better.  

I also had a glass of wine last night and have a terrible headache this morning.  But, I got up at 5:00 am to go paddle boarding on the lake!  Gorgeous day!  I'll join you on the new site Bronwyn...where are our buddies???

Hey Guys! 

Sorry for being MIA... my tummy has been giving me a horrible time. Glad that we all made it through. Even though I 'cheated' I feel as though I have conquered a huge thing for me-committing to not only a diet a life style change. I really plan on starting another W30 super soon. Thinking Monday. I'm going to use the rest of the week to introduce things in, but not go crazy. Don't want the headaches and feelings like I had on the first one. 

I officially lost 10 pounds. For me, that's CRAZy! It has been super hard for me to loose weight and I know this change has helped me realize I don't want my numbers to go up anymore. Just keep going down. Before the trip, my tummy was feeling tighter. It's a little bloated but since I plan on getting back on it, I am not too worried. 

Thanks for all the support, advice, inspiration. I truly appreciate you all!!

Hi, I'm Noëlle, and started 7/29 also, and am doing this alone. I am nearing 70 and for the last 20 years (hello menopause) have been struggling to maintain my weight at 130#. I am 5'5", and have been trying to lose 10 # since January with poor results. I have no health issues but am hoping to reset metabolism, improve energy, mood, and chronic low back pain ( not severe). I am addicted to the scale and have kept a chart in my closet for years. I had my husband hide the scale. I am a very healthy mostly organic veggie lover, and except for ice-cream, don't have a sugar dragon, but do eat a lot of fruit. Eating more olive and coconut oil and ghee is exciting as I've always restricted fats. Hate eggs in recognizable form, which makes breakfast harder, although I ate a veggie- filled well- cooked frittata Day one with no gagging. Day 3 (today) woke up with a headache which is fading, no other problems so far. Also trouble falling asleep, but not new. I am fairly active and am an accomplished cook and plan to post recipes. Am not too confident I'll have a good outcome or lose weight since other than more fat and protein and less fruit, it's not a big dietary change. But restricting calories isn't working, so this is really my last hope. Please wish me luck on this journey.

Hate eggs in recognizable form, which makes breakfast harder

You don't have to eat eggs on a Whole30 if you don't like them.

Think of breakfast as "Meal 1" and that opens up countless possibilities of what to eat. For best results, create meals of protein, veg and fat, consistent with the recommended meal template.

You can also Google Whole30 non-egg breakfast to get links to past discussion threads of what other folks have done. Also check out this non-traditional breakfast thread.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, Noelle here.  Officially ended my first Whole30 yesterday.  Other than losing 5#, can't say I've had any of the glowing results the rest of you had.  I am 69 and in good health.  Not really overweight (5'5"/140#) but I was hoping for an increase in energy, better sleep, improved mood.  Altho I am a champion dieter and ate healthy prior, and religiously adhered to the program, I am disappointed.  Happy about the weight loss, which is a pleasant surprise, and seems like it did diminish my muffin top, and plan to continue in a modified way.  Today I had erythritol and whipping cream in my coffee, at last, but other than a glass of wine at dinner, plan to continue.  I didn't think I had any food sensitivities and still don't.  Will start with grains like quinoa in a few days just to see.  I still have the same chronic low back pain as ever, occasional (maybe fewer?) morning headaches, and diminished energy.  Since most of you are a lot younger, it's hard to say if I expected too much.  Altho I never got Tiger Blood, Kitten Blood would have been nice.  Too early to tell if my metabolism has improved since I'm still pretty much still on the plan, maybe more of a shift to Paleo.  The real test will be next month when we go to Italy for 2 weeks.  I plan to minimize bread and pasta, but plan to enjoy and not deprive myself of the worlds best gelato.  Feedback will be welcome, especially from older post-men members.  Love and support to all of you fighters out there, and hope you get the results you hope for.

Hi, Noelle here.  Officially ended my first Whole30 yesterday.  Other than losing 5#, can't say I've had any of the glowing results the rest of you had.  I am 69 and in good health.  Not really overweight (5'5"/140#) but I was hoping for an increase in energy, better sleep, improved mood.  Altho I am a champion dieter and ate healthy prior, and religiously adhered to the program, I am disappointed.  Happy about the weight loss, which is a pleasant surprise, and seems like it did diminish my muffin top, and plan to continue in a modified way.  Today I had erythritol and whipping cream in my coffee, at last, but other than a glass of wine at dinner, plan to continue.  I didn't think I had any food sensitivities and still don't.  Will start with grains like quinoa in a few days just to see.  I still have the same chronic low back pain as ever, occasional (maybe fewer?) morning headaches, and diminished energy.  Since most of you are a lot younger, it's hard to say if I expected too much.  Altho I never got Tiger Blood, Kitten Blood would have been nice.  Too early to tell if my metabolism has improved since I'm still pretty much still on the plan, maybe more of a shift to Paleo.  The real test will be next month when we go to Italy for 2 weeks.  I plan to minimize bread and pasta, but plan to enjoy and not deprive myself of the worlds best gelato.  Feedback will be welcome, especially from older post-men members.  Love and support to all of you fighters out there, and hope you get the results you hope for.

Hi Noellerenee - well done on making it through the 30days!

If you like you could post a few days worth of your typical food & liquid intake to see if there was anything you could have done differently, or could do differently going forward? Sometimes it's not just about eating compliant foods, but the composition of your meals...

Just something to consider.

Good luck with the reintro stage & have a great trip...

Archived