Start Date June 29! Anyone else???

Margot

Thanks!! I agree I can't have eggs for breakfast all the time. Since I'm the only one doing the whole30 at home, I have to cook 2 separate meals. It's a bit exhausting.

Brendapatx... I am not a huge fan of eggs myself though I do eat them occasionally but the best thing I have found is not to think you have to eat breakfast food for breakfast. Lots of the time I just have some leftovers from the day before for breakfast. That said, I have 3 teenage boys that eat everything in their path so leftovers are not a staple in my house, lol. I am also the only one whole 30ing in my house. I cook whatever I will be eating and maybe fix one extra side dish for everyone else to have as well that way I'm not having to cook 2 separate meals.

Yesterday was a bit tough for me...really had to fight off some cravings but made it through to today!!! I did try a new recipe that my entire family loved last night. We tried the green chili turkey burger recipe I found on a Pinterest whole 30 board...very good and easy to make!

How's everyone else out there doing? Ready to tackle DAY 4?????

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good morning everyone,

Start of Day 4, well I finally slept through the night and then I didn't want to get up.... Really dragging today but on the plus side I don't think my brain is in such a fog so that is an improvement.   So far my sugar cravings are very light and I think it's more habit than a real craving.  I always had a sugar bump to get me through the 3 o'clock slump but now I am just tired and yawning at that time and I drink more water.  Hopefully it will change.  Good news is I am off work by that time so I might start heading to a gym after work to get the blood flowing. 

By the way I tried the recipe of roasted green beans, onions, mushrooms and peppers last night and they are really good.  My family enjoyed them too.   

For those in the US, what are you guys going to be cooking for 4th of July?  I used to make homemade ice cream for the event but I guess I will skip that this year so need to think of something special to cook for my family.

Looking forward to your responses as it keeps me on track.

For those in the US, what are you guys going to be cooking for 4th of July? 

For some ideas, check out Melissa Joulwan's 4th of July post on her website (if you haven't heard of her yet, she's the author of the Well Fed and Well Fed 2 cookbooks): http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2014/06/29/4th-july-paleo-picnic-potluck-recipes/

Confirm that the ingredients for whatever you choose are Whole30 compliant.

Happy 4th of July!

p.s. I'm planning to bring her Bora Bora Fireballs for an appetizer, along with her Sunshine Sauce.

Hi all,

I'm a little bit late to the party, but I also started on the 29th. Interesting comments from the group so far. I'm finding that I'm not any more or less tired than usual, though I do find I exhaust myself in the kitchen at times :). I find that if I don't stick to a solid sleep schedule, I get hungry late at night, and then am not hungry in the morning, which is when brownies start calling my name...

I am pretty much doing this alone in a house of 4. I cook, so my mom is doing the lunches and dinners with me, but we have 2 others that just have all their normal food around. It makes things a bit more tempting, but so far I haven't wavered. It really helps that the recipes in the Whole30 book are all delicious. I haven't really deviated from them. I do have a starchy veg at dinner every night, so maybe that's helping?

I do have problems eating the correct portions at the right time - so many things tell you to eat smaller meals more often, and that's always worked for me because I fill up really quickly. I'm trying to eat as much as I can, and make sure there's a portion of the meal that I can easily take with me and use as a snack as soon as I'm ready for it. I have been eating more fruit than maybe I should, but I'm slowly starting to cut back. It's not like I was having more than the recommended daily intake, but I realize that they're high in sugar. When I do have fruit, I try to have it as close to a meal as possible, and am getting better each day.

The last thing I do is juice. Now I know that they're really prefer that we didn't drink our meals, so it's not what I'm doing. I make a thing of juice in the morning (mostly veg, only one fruit) and drink it throughout the day. I still have all of my regular veg with my meals so that I get some chewing time in. The juice is really just bonus nutrients, and I'm not drinking gallons of it. I just find that it really helps me get through the day.

That's it for me! I've made my meals for the next day, and I'm lucky to have some really accomodating friends who are all having a Whole30 compliant dinner with me tomorrow night!

Good luck to everyone!

Hi all,

I'm a little bit late to the party, but I also started on the 29th. Interesting comments from the group so far. I'm finding that I'm not any more or less tired than usual, though I do find I exhaust myself in the kitchen at times :). I find that if I don't stick to a solid sleep schedule, I get hungry late at night, and then am not hungry in the morning, which is when brownies start calling my name...

I am pretty much doing this alone in a house of 4. I cook, so my mom is doing the lunches and dinners with me, but we have 2 others that just have all their normal food around. It makes things a bit more tempting, but so far I haven't wavered. It really helps that the recipes in the Whole30 book are all delicious. I haven't really deviated from them. I do have a starchy veg at dinner every night, so maybe that's helping?

I do have problems eating the correct portions at the right time - so many things tell you to eat smaller meals more often, and that's always worked for me because I fill up really quickly. I'm trying to eat as much as I can, and make sure there's a portion of the meal that I can easily take with me and use as a snack as soon as I'm ready for it. I have been eating more fruit than maybe I should, but I'm slowly starting to cut back. It's not like I was having more than the recommended daily intake, but I realize that they're high in sugar. When I do have fruit, I try to have it as close to a meal as possible, and am getting better each day.

The last thing I do is juice. Now I know that they're really prefer that we didn't drink our meals, so it's not what I'm doing. I make a thing of juice in the morning (mostly veg, only one fruit) and drink it throughout the day. I still have all of my regular veg with my meals so that I get some chewing time in. The juice is really just bonus nutrients, and I'm not drinking gallons of it. I just find that it really helps me get through the day.

That's it for me! I've made my meals for the next day, and I'm lucky to have some really accomodating friends who are all having a Whole30 compliant dinner with me tomorrow night!

Good luck to everyone!

I was a juicer too and only do vegetable juice with distilled water, I fill up fast as well and not sure if I am really eating enough vegie's per meal so I might go head and juice and drink with my meal to make sure I am getting the nutrients my body was used too.  You are doing great that you haven't slipped with the temptations.  have a good day

Yay!  Day four. Welcome allaluce!  I feel like I'm cooking all the time too but by now I have enough stuff stocked in fridge and freezer that I can take a break for today.   I'm not really having any sleep or energy issues out of the ordinary.  I felt a little wired at bed time last night but I'm reading a nice bit of history/non-fiction and that relaxes me without giving me that "I could stay up all night to read this" feeling.  All in all it's going well.  No cravings I can't put off.  

We're entertaining both Friday and Saturday for the 4th of July Holiday.  Steaks and Homemade Italian Sausage.  I have to check with my extended family to see if there's MSG in the sausage.  It's an old family recipe and my dad used to put a little Accent! (msg) in it.  If that's the case I'll have a nice steak.  What was really hard?  Picking out the wine and beer that we're going to offer to our guests!  I stocked up on sparkling waters and think I'll make a pitcher of club soda with a little bit of 100% fruit juice stirred in plus lemons, limes and cucumber.  I hope that works for me!  I'm also going to make some of the whole 30 dips and serve with veggies for dipping, got a nice recipe for a green bean/snap pea salad too.  Now, about that cherry pie my son is begging for???

Oh well, one thing I wanted to share with my new June 29th start date pals.  How to make mayo in a jar.  You'll need an immersion blender and a wide mouth jar but it's so quick and easy!  No drizzling the olive oil in!  Just blend your light olive oil, dry mustard and egg --all compliant ingredients - season with lemon or cider vinegar, put the lid on and pop into fridge.  It's been a great base for making salad dressing, dips and a nice treat on the Whole 30.  http://www.everydaymaven.com/2014/how-to-make-mayonnaise/  Good luck to everyone today....we are going to make it!

I was a juicer too and only do vegetable juice with distilled water, I fill up fast as well and not sure if I am really eating enough vegie's per meal so I might go head and juice and drink with my meal to make sure I am getting the nutrients my body was used too.  You are doing great that you haven't slipped with the temptations.  have a good day

Please do not start juicing your vegetables. It is the act of chewing which starts the digestive process, and therefore by drinking your veg you will be sending the wrong signal to your brain, and apart from that you will likely feel less satiated. If you're struggling to eat a template meal then please eat as much as you can from around the plate (ie. a little bit of everything) & then pack up the remainder to eat as a mini meal as soon as you feel able.

Eating three template meals per day, with 4-5 hours in between each meal plays a bit part in getting your hormones back into whack & getting the most from your Whole30.

We've made it to Day 4! Go us! I had a pretty rough day yesterday. I had a terrible headache that lasted until about 6pm. I waited too long go eat breakfast, due to a sausage mishap (I thought we had compliant frozen, but upon defrosting, mozzarella oozed out), so I ran to the store and by the time I cooked and ate, it was 11am. I also didn't drink coffee yesterday morning, which I'm sure contributed.

I definitely learned my lesson. Even if my heart is set on a particular type of food, I'll have to be flexible and eat something else compliant. For now, I also have to remember my coffee.

I know someone else mentioned following each other's logs, which I'd love to do. Can we all post the links or names of our logs?

Here's to a great day 4!

I am a little bit late to this party. I joined June 29 as well for my first ever Whole30 with my partner Dan. I was aiming for the July 1 start date, but figured it would be best to start on a Monday meal planning wise. Great to meet all of you!

I posted more details about why I'm doing this in my log here, and will be posting most of my updates there. See: http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/29018-bronwyns-whole-30-log-started-june-29-2015/

How's everyone's fourth day of W30 going so far? :)

I am feeling a little bit cranky, but overall am doing well!

Back to juicing!

If I am having juiced vegetables in addition to the solid veg that I'm chewing and eating as part of my regular 3 meal template, is that a huge problem? (Too many veg doesn't seem like a terrible thing in the grand scheme of life) I drink a lot of water, but I need something else. Again, I'm not replacing any solid veg with the juice, and I'm not drinking tons of it as a way to fill me up in between meals. I have a slurp or two every hour or so just for something different to drink.

Back to juicing!

If I am having juiced vegetables in addition to the solid veg that I'm chewing and eating as part of my regular 3 meal template, is that a huge problem? (Too many veg doesn't seem like a terrible thing in the grand scheme of life) I drink a lot of water, but I need something else. Again, I'm not replacing any solid veg with the juice, and I'm not drinking tons of it as a way to fill me up in between meals. I have a slurp or two every hour or so just for something different to drink.

Sorry, my answer would be no and here's the why.... you said that the juice is in addition to your meals & that it helps to get you through the day which is telling me you need to eat more, so eat more, don't drink it - up the size of each meal - add a little more of everything & cut out the need for the juice, which is ultimately a perpetual snack which as you know is discouraged on whole30. Lose that mindless hand to mouth habit - break the cycle!! That is what Whole30 is about, it's not just about eating technically compliant foods for 30 days.

And consider the impact on your dental health sipping even on naturally occurring sugars continually throughout the day....

Day 4 and no one died! Breakfast was late because there wasn't time to cook it and eat it before my training session @ 7:30 am. It was a good workout, some cardio some strength and I went to pilates - strength and mobility. I had a pre workout snack and then breakfast at 10:30. Which kind of meant that I skipped lunch as I had a meeting from 2-5 powered only by a black coffee. I cant find compliant bacon or sausages in the UK but am finding more than sufficient choice in the plan.

Slight headache and a bit lower energy but ready for day 5 - thank you all for your posts, they inform and include and make me smile and cheer for each of our sucesses

Day 5! Thursday/Friday isn't the best for me because I work until 8 on Thursday (throwing off my entire meal schedule) and then I work at 8:30 Friday morning. It has always meant a lack of proper sleep, poor food choices, etc. I didn't do too badly. I had some of Meal 3 left over from yesterday that I had when I got home, and then went straight into meal prep. I had everything ready to go for this morning, so I just had to do my usual morning things, grab my coffee, and get out the door. I did try to eat as much of Meal 1 as I could, but I'm still really struggling with it. I have some more leftovers that I'll be eating as soon as I'm able this morning. I have my coffee sitting out of reach so that I don't grab that first and ruin my appetite.

jmcbn - I'd love to up my meal portions, but as you can see, I already struggle to eat what I'm supposed to in a single sitting. I've just never been able to eat big meals, on holidays, when I'm really hungry, etc. I'm trying to do as much as I can and work on increasing things as I go, but my body just can't seem to handle it. Any strategies? I mean, Whole30 seems to be about finding what works best for you and your body, and so far the way the meals are planned, it's not working...BUT, I'm ready to try anything and realize that this is a process. :)

How is everyone else doing on Day 5?!

So far, so good. I had a bit of a :angry:Kill All The Things  :angry:  night yesterday where I felt like the weight of the world was on my shoulders. I discovered a few of the supplements I'd been prescribed are no-go on the Whole30, and it all spiraled from there.

I felt very defeated momentarily, but after sleeping like a rock I am back at it today! I sleep so soundly it is unreal. I started off the day with a portion of salmon and a mug of butternut squash soup. It felt incredibly strange eating "dinner foods" for breakfast, and I felt like I was choking most of it down by the end because I love a light breakfast.

The soup from the W30 book is a winner, for sure!

That's a great idea Bronwyn...I'm not sure that I could handle having a pork chop, sweet potato and veg first thing, but soup I could maybe do. My plan was to make it this weekend, so perhaps I'll make a double batch and save some for breakfasts. My goal for meal planning in Week 2 is to get better at breakfasts. I love eggs, but I need to mix it up. I'm going to the market this weekend, and live in a rural area with lots of local farmers and butchers. I have really high hopes that I'll be able to find some compliant bacon. At the very least, I'll be buying some more ground chicken. I made meatballs yesterday and they're so so good.

jmcbn - I'd love to up my meal portions, but as you can see, I already struggle to eat what I'm supposed to in a single sitting. I've just never been able to eat big meals, on holidays, when I'm really hungry, etc. I'm trying to do as much as I can and work on increasing things as I go, but my body just can't seem to handle it. Any strategies? I mean, Whole30 seems to be about finding what works best for you and your body, and so far the way the meals are planned, it's not working...BUT, I'm ready to try anything and realize that this is a process. :)

If you'd like to post a few days worth of your food intake I could take a look and see how you're doing food-wise & take it from there....?

Day 5. This morning I woke up more tired then yesterday. I had my breakfast ready to go but forgot my side of veggies at home. It felt weird not having veggies with my meal. Yesterday there were pastries everywhere at my work. I was very tempted but I just avoided them. Not worth it. I'm having the same thing for lunch as yesterday. I'm getting my grocery list ready for next week. I'm making my meal plans and trying to find new recipes.

Please do not start juicing your vegetables. It is the act of chewing which starts the digestive process, and therefore by drinking your veg you will be sending the wrong signal to your brain, and apart from that you will likely feel less satiated. If you're struggling to eat a template meal then please eat as much as you can from around the plate (ie. a little bit of everything) & then pack up the remainder to eat as a mini meal as soon as you feel able.

Eating three template meals per day, with 4-5 hours in between each meal plays a bit part in getting your hormones back into whack & getting the most from your Whole30.

I was planning on eating my veggies and then having the juice with dinner instead of say my water.  So I am still eating the same but I have gotten more nutrients and I only eat 3 meals a day with 4 to 5 hours in between.  I do not have time to eat mini meals with 60 hour work week and still stay compliant.  I don't understand if I am eating the veggies and get full then downing the juice at end of meal how that would send the wrong signal to my brain.  It doesn't make sense.  Please clarify.  Thank you

Archived