Start Date June 29! Anyone else???

Margot

Oh, and in the list of starch veg was listed potatoes, yet they are not on the shopping list pdf. Are white potatoes compliant!

Thanks

Yep, all potatoes are now compliant as of July 2014.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I. MADE. IT!!!!!

It was not our typical 4th of July, but I did make it through!!!

I'm not gonna lie...there were rough patches...but here I am and it is day 7!!! I'm up at the crack of dawn and have a headache, but I made it!!!

How's everyone else out there???

Congrats Margot! That's awesome! Yesterday was rough, mostly after dinner (which was super filling, and delicious) because I had cravings for just...something snacky. For no reason. I knew I wasn't hungry, and I didn't cave, but it was just a Saturday night and I felt like snacking on something. I think what I need to do is find some compliant snacks (not just veg) that I keep tucked away in case of true emergencies. I've been doing really well with the meal planning and prep, so I haven't had an emergency in that sense, but for desperate times, having an approved snack would be better than completely falling off the bandwagon, right? This is the first time it's happened, so I don't anticipate relying on them... Slippery slope, I know.

Today I have to make my breakfast, get that down, and then sit down with a coffee and do all of my planning for the rest of the week. It's a bit of challenge I find, but I enjoy it. And then shopping and prep! Last week, our holiday fell in the middle of the week so I had an extra full day of prep time, which I won't have this time.

Happy Day 7 to all!

allaluce...you are so very much more organized than I am, lol...I tend to kind of wing it. that typically leaves me heading to the grocery several times a week...though with all my boys home for the summer I think I would be doing that anyway ;0) I definitely agree better to snack on compliant than to fall off the wagon...I get the reasons for all the rules but it has to work for you and like you said it's only for an emergency ;0)

congrats on making it this far!!! just think...1 more week and we are halfway there!!!!!

Eating within an hour of wakening is really key in getting your hormones back into whack, and yes, having eaten so late you'll have been playing catch up day - it's difficult to claw your way back from a poor start to the day.

If you're genuinely hungry enough for a snack (i.e. you'd quite happily eat the blandest of bland foods in an instant) then try to make it a mini meal of protein & fat (& preferably veggies). Eating fruit & nut butter like this will continue to feed your sugar dragon and play havoc with your blood sugar levels, which in turn will mess with your sleep/appetite.

Thank you for that info! I've never had breakfast that late. I'm a breakfast person so I eat shortly after I wake up. The fruit n almond butter was to satisfy my sugar craving. I'll make sure it's not a constant thing. Since I'm still nursing my little one I'm used to snacking but that's been decreasing since I started on whole30.

Woo HOo! Congrats on making it through the 4th of July festivities. Margot, I felt so much like you. Temptations were left and right of me. I felt as if I was in the W30 video game and I had to blast my way through the cake,  cocktails, bbq sauced meatballs, cookies, chips, etc to get to the next level. Lawrdy, I was so tempted. But, i made it. I'm sort of in this euphoric state right now. I told myself If I can make it through yesterday, I can seriously do this.

Next Week's Menu:

Stuffed Bell Peppers

Grilled Chicken and green beans

Ground Turkey Taco Salad (with no cheese. Homemade salsa)

I was thinking about making the chocolate chili from The Clothesmakesthegirl and noticed there is a big/strong debate about cocoa powder....not sure if I can or can not have this... .Has anyone else tried this recipe yet?  

Thank you for that info! I've never had breakfast that late. I'm a breakfast person so I eat shortly after I wake up. The fruit n almond butter was to satisfy my sugar craving. I'll make sure it's not a constant thing. Since I'm still nursing my little one I'm used to snacking but that's been decreasing since I started on whole30.

If you're still nursing then definitely have a mini-meal, or even a 4th meal if you feel the need - just be  sure to make it as per the recommended meal template of protein, fat & veggies.... 

I was thinking about making the chocolate chili from The Clothesmakesthegirl and noticed there is a big/strong debate about cocoa powder....not sure if I can or can not have this... .Has anyone else tried this recipe yet?  

Cocoa powder is fine in this context - I made a slightly modified batch of this myself yesterday....

You are my favorite moderator now!!  ;)

B) 

Lots of people make it and like it as is - I like my chilli to have a bit more of a kick so I add quite a bit more in the way of spices. An old friend of mine who was of mexican decent told me a Chili shoud have all the C's - chillies, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne & chocolate - it's a good thing cocoa starts with a C  :D  

I leave out the oregano and the all spice and then add in some chopped veg of some sort (sometimes small cubes of beets, or maybe turnip - something that won't cook down too mushy) just to add of volume/bite/texture. 

Woo HOo! Congrats on making it through the 4th of July festivities. Margot, I felt so much like you. Temptations were left and right of me. I felt as if I was in the W30 video game and I had to blast my way through the cake,  cocktails, bbq sauced meatballs, cookies, chips, etc to get to the next level. Lawrdy, I was so tempted. But, i made it. I'm sort of in this euphoric state right now. I told myself If I can make it through yesterday, I can seriously do this.

Next Week's Menu:

Stuffed Bell Peppers

Grilled Chicken and green beans

Ground Turkey Taco Salad (with no cheese. Homemade salsa)

YAY YOU!!! And you are right...after that this should be a piece of cake;0)...and your menu for the next week looks pretty yummy! Wish I was more of a planner :-/ oh well, gotta work with what you've got, right???

I'm feeling pretty good at the moment as well but have a trip this coming weekend that has me concerned...if anyone has any suggestions on how to successfully travel and stay true to the course I would LOVE to hear them!!! I REALLY DON'T WANT TO FALL OFF THE TRACKS!!!

YAY YOU!!! And you are right...after that this should be a piece of cake;0)...and your menu for the next week looks pretty yummy! Wish I was more of a planner :-/ oh well, gotta work with what you've got, right???

I'm feeling pretty good at the moment as well but have a trip this coming weekend that has me concerned...if anyone has any suggestions on how to successfully travel and stay true to the course I would LOVE to hear them!!! I REALLY DON'T WANT TO FALL OFF THE TRACKS!!!

What cooking/food storage facilities will you have Margot? Or is it more of a road trip?

I've seen some blogs suggest a cooler to bring stuff in. People have suggested the Larabars Compliant: Apple Pie, Banana Bread, Carrot Cake, Cashew Cookie, Cherry Pie, Chocolate Coconut Chew, Coconut Cream Pie, Key Lime Pie, Lemon Bar, Pecan Pie, Pumpkin Pie.?!? 

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2015/01/6-whole30-ingredients/#sthash.PyZxbNM2.dpuf

What about trail mix that is compliant? I would love to know what you end up with! 

B) 

Lots of people make it and like it as is - I like my chilli to have a bit more of a kick so I add quite a bit more in the way of spices. An old friend of mine who was of mexican decent told me a Chili shoud have all the C's - chillies, coriander, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne & chocolate - it's a good thing cocoa starts with a C  :D  

I leave out the oregano and the all spice and then add in some chopped veg of some sort (sometimes small cubes of beets, or maybe turnip - something that won't cook down too mushy) just to add of volume/bite/texture. 

I was going to add in jalapeños, habaneros, and bell peppers. :) 

I've seen some blogs suggest a cooler to bring stuff in. People have suggested the Larabars Compliant: Apple Pie, Banana Bread, Carrot Cake, Cashew Cookie, Cherry Pie, Chocolate Coconut Chew, Coconut Cream Pie, Key Lime Pie, Lemon Bar, Pecan Pie, Pumpkin Pie.?!? 

- See more at: http://whole30.com/2015/01/6-whole30-ingredients/#sthash.PyZxbNM2.dpuf

What about trail mix that is compliant? I would love to know what you end up with! 

I was going to add in jalapeños, habaneros, and bell peppers. :)

What about trail mix that is compliant? 

Here's a link to the official Whole30 'What's in Your Cooler' guide.....

You'll note that larabars are for emergencies only, and any kind of trail mix should be eaten in moderation. If you can plan to pack a cooler bag, you can plan to NOT need either....

Margot,

I'm out of town right now, but am staying with friends and we drove, so I packed almost every compliant item from our fridge and pantry just in case and have not gone off plan. I'm only here for about a day, though, which makes it somewhat easier.

Here's a link to the official Whole30 'What's in Your Cooler' guide.....

You'll note that larabars are for emergencies only, and any kind of trail mix should be eaten in moderation. If you can plan to pack a cooler bag, you can plan to NOT need either....

Is there something you would suggest or something that you have personally taken that is not in the guide?  I am going on a road trip mid July...  :)

Without looking at the list my personal 'Go To' options for a few days are:

Tinned mackerel, salmon, sardines & tuna
Boiled eggs

Various jars of pickled veg
Carrots

Cucumber

Tomatoes
Celery
Peppers

Olives
Olive oil

Avocados

Apples
Apple Cider Vinegar
Water
Herbal Tea Bags
Salt
Pepper

If it's just a day trip then I usually go with chicken legs, a big ass salad in a tupperware, and an avocado on the side.

I've yet to find a compliant jerky here but I'd add that to the list if I could and I'd also add epic bars if they weren't so ridiculously expensive in the UK!!

I'm heading on a trip at the end of this week and that's what I'll be packing to do me for basics until I can get to the shops for more supplies.

Wow, this is tremendously helpful and I'm not even going anywhere.  I bookmarked that "what's in your cooler link".  Will need it for those summer weekend days when you're invited to the lake or pool for the day.  Yesterday went well.  May have overdone the steak portion as well as a few too many dips in the "sunshine dip".  But it was better than eating the awesome looking ribs (sugar in the barbecue sauce) that everyone else was digging into.  

Well everyone, we made it through almost 7 whole days!   That's super-promising.  I chuckled when I read that one of you ran out and bought all the books.  That was my impulse too and now that I've made it a week, I'm going to treat myself to another book or two.  

Planned all the dinner meals for the week and did the grocery shopping.  I'll cook tomorrow.  With all the company I had this weekend, I'm cooked out!  

I'm constantly checking this blog and it's a reminder to stick to the rules.  No excuses!  We can do it! 

I am so proud of us all for kicking butt this week! Way to go everyone.  :D

Right now I am feeling pretty good. Consistently energetic all day, prepping for the week ahead.

I started the day with some leftover pulled pork carnitas from the book topped with salsa, peppers, and a fried egg. Lunch was two leftover salmon cakes and zucchini noodles with sunshine sauce. Dinner was 1/4 of a frittata, homemade chicken sausage w/ a dab of mayo, mashed cauliflower, and a few strawberries / dried mango. I highly, highly recommend the carnitas because they were delicious!

Spent a bit of the day prepping food for the week ahead: Diced veggies, a big batch of coconut cauliflower rice, basic mayo, and Vietnamese chicken salad from the Well Fed 2 book.

Sweet potato and butternut squash shepherd's pie, kale slaw, and burgers are also on the menu for the week. I am treating myself to steak and prosciutto wrapped asparagus tomorrow night. Can't wait! 

Starting day eight today, and feel as tho I have learned lots about how to feed myself properly, it is sunny and cool high 60’s low 70’s. It is impossible to feel anything but positive. Thanks for all the help getting me over the hurdles of the first week. When temptations hit, I grab the book and reread sections to get ahold of myself. And I think of coming on here and having to say, I am starting over...

Except for the low energy and the headache, and the bad breath ( or is that just me!?!) I feel pretty good.

Have a lovely day!

Except for the low energy and the headache, and the bad breath ( or is that just me!?!) I feel pretty good.

Have a lovely day!

Sounds like you're probably not including enough starchy veg in your daily intake.

If you'd like to post a few days worth of yiur food/liquid log along with activity levels we would take a look and see if you need to make any tweaks.

ys

Sounds like you're probably not including enough starchy veg in your daily intake.

Thanks, I am having a serving of sweet potato most days, but found out about white potatoes over the weekend and will work them in.

Is one serving enough? I have the book, but on kindle so keep getting lost, as I hit a link and then get engrossed. i have read it twice but think in some cases, such as regular potatoes, events have overtaken.

Btw, I used to be a committed grazer and am delighted that I will have broken that habit. It is already going..just slowly.

Start off with one serving daily & take it from there. If you're working out you'll most likely need more.

Remember that there are plenty of other options too - plantains, yams, squash, pumpkin, beets, turnips to name but a few!

What cooking/food storage facilities will you have Margot? Or is it more of a road trip?

we will spend 2 days flying/driving (all day) then be in a typical hotel room for the rest...just mini fridge i believe...in Washington (not DC ;) )

thanks guys for having my back!!! :rolleyes:

will tread through the "cooler"link today...and figure out what epic bars are... i sooo appreciate all the help!!!!

We've all officially made it through week 1!!!!! WE ROCK :D:ph34r:^_^

i am already feeling health benefits (more energy,better sleep) and my clothes are fitting more comfortably :)

all the time in the kitchen cooking (then cleaning up my mess, lol) is getting a little old but im trying to figure out how to cut that down a bit.  i live in a house with 3 teenage boys and my hubs so food is eaten as fast as i can cook it :blink:

feeling really good about today!!! agree so much with earlier comments about this forum keeping me on track!

also going to strap on the fitbit and hit those 10000 steps daily!!! :wacko::huh: i think i can, I think I can...

hope you all had a great weekend and are ready to face DAY 8!!!!

we will spend 2 days flying/driving (all day) then be in a typical hotel room for the rest...just mini fridge i believe...in Washington (not DC ;) )

Ok, flying is bit more tricky because of the limit on liquids, but if you check the Travel & Dining Out forum there are lots of threads about various types of travel which should give you some ideas.

As for time spent in the kitchen have you got a slow cooker/crockpot? Are you utilizing ALL of the shelves in your oven at one time? You could also use frozen veg to save time on prepping...

Archived