Start Date June 29! Anyone else???

Margot

we will spend 2 days flying/driving (all day) then be in a typical hotel room for the rest...just mini fridge i believe...in Washington (not DC ;) )

Why not use a cooler (maybe a soft one) as a carry on (I'd give it to one of my boys :) ) and plan to hit a grocery in your first day?

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all, I need some help finding out where to keep my food log.  Can anyone send me a link to the place where food logs are kept?  I don't see it on the whole 30 website...or maybe I'm misunderstanding something.  Thanks!

Hey all, I need some help finding out where to keep my food log.  Can anyone send me a link to the place where food logs are kept?  I don't see it on the whole 30 website...or maybe I'm misunderstanding something.  Thanks!

Hey there, I've been keeping my log in an excel spread sheet via Google. Its fairly easy and quick. 

So super proud of all of us!! I told my hubby last night that If I could make it through this weekend, then the next 'few' (cough cough) will be super easy. And i truly believe it now. For me the most biggest thing was breakfast. I h.a.t.e breakfast. I would get it major fights when I was little with my momma. While I was hesitant to have breakfast now that I have the choice of having breakfast, I can understand the reasoning behind it. Another big thing for me was right when I got up I put the keruig on and had a cup of joe. Now, i sip while I cook my breakfast (sorry if that is not true Whole 30. Its baby steps, man) and finish the rest of my coffee after breakfast. 

When I was watching the USA star spangle hammer the Japanese woman yesterday on the turf, that was pretty hard. Chips and dip were to the left and right of me. Beer and wine were flowing like it was a party celebrating the Greek God of Food and Drink. But I stayed true to the diet and had to say it felt SO DARN GOOD  not 'cheating'. I honestly did not think that I could make it past Day #3. I'm a notorious starter and then give -er-upper but hearing everyone's stories, pearls of wisdom, advice and cheers as really been so helpful. I do not think I could have made it if I did not have y'all. I am truly grateful. So from the bottom of my starting to be healthy heart... THANK YOU!! Have a wonderful day of eating clean!!  :P

Has anyone noticed there heart racing shortly after eating? I've been noticing that the last couple of days.

This probably depends on what you're eating. I know I get that feeling when I have a mug of china white monkey tea. Do you happen to be having coffee with your meals?  I'd suggest you keeping a track to see if you can pinpoint the trigger as it may also effect blood sugar levels....

Day 8

Blah, not sure why I am not hungry but it started yesterday and continued right into today.  Forced my self to eat 2 eggs with salsa and coconut water this morning.  Nothing sounds good to me but I am following the plan.  Brought left over pork roast with veggies that I cooked in my crockpot last night.  Family loved it, me not so much.  It was just food.  Did my meal planning and grocery shopping yesterday so I am set for the week.  Will have to cook extra meals for this weekend and prep for our trip into the wilds. :)  Camping, hiking, kayaking.  Ordered some Wild Zora  and Epic Bars to help get through the times we are on the go and I can't cook.  Hope they get here on time.  They have shipped so in transit.  Also going to make my own trail mix. 

Going to go to gym after work and that may help with this funk I am in.  :D

Glad everyone is doing well.    Take care

Day 8! Go team!

I was super grumpy last night after being in the kitchen for 3-4 hours. Granted, I made a lot of meals and did a ton of prep, and that will pay off this week, but I was exhausted by the end of it.

One thing I'll recommend is to go to the grocery store, on your own with lots of time (and maybe money) and just really take your time. I went to a bigger grocery store than I normally do, by myself, and wandered. I read labels, saw what sorts of fresh produce they carry (many more international options than my local store) and trolled the whole/organic foods aisles. It was fantastic. I bought things I didn't know they carried, found some substitutes that I'd heard about, but never thought would be available to me, and had a great experience. I did find Larabars and bought one box, to be saved for weekends or dire emergencies. I don't carry one around with me, or pack it in my lunch.

My goals for this week are to get better at making proper breakfasts, and to start exercising a bit again. I didn't do it in week one because I wanted to stay focused on food without introducing the problem of a post-workout meal. Not that I'm going to go nuts, but I'm going to start walking more, and getting into that routine. The meal prep I've already done should make this feasible. I've already lost weight, or at least am not bloated, and that's been a great motivation. Weight loss is an added bonus, because I'm really trying to sort out the migraines I get on a regular basis. So far, I've been pretty much headache-free, with a few exceptions.

I'm feeling good about sourcing good foods and talking to grocers - I have one lady who's going to "talk to her butcher" about getting me some sugar-free bacon! It's a really rewarding process.

I'm currently ravenous, but lunch is mere minutes away. I have butternut squash soup, some shrimp, and some asparagus and orange peppers. I'm hoping the starch will perk me up a bit...I'm feeling a little sleepy at the moment!

Hope you're all well - we have an amazing group!

Day 9!  Wow- can't believe I am hanging in there.  Yesterday was sooooo tough, my body was wanting me to throw in the towel.  I held firm.  While I still not very hungry I don't get nauseas at just looking at food when I woke up this morning.  Choked down a sweet potato last night with ghee and cinnamon and an apple.  Went to bed early.    

This morning was able to eat scrambled eggs with pork, onions, peppers and mushrooms.  Lunch I have chimichuri pork and veggies.  Feeling a little bit better so hopefully this will pass.  Digestion is not happy with me either so started taking a probiotic again.  Also I have not gotten a good night sleep since I started this plan so I am sure that the interrupted sleep is affecting my mood. 

Good news is my epic and Wild Zora orders have shipped and should be here before my camping trip this weekend.  Yea!

Hangin in Ga.

Hi guys! Yesterday was really rough for me as well. My boss brought in Timbits, which, if you don't know, are tiny little donut holes of joy from Tim Hortons. They are my kryptonite, and I didn't have one. At the end of the day, I was in the staff room on my own and my first thought was, "no one will know if I have one" and I caught myself before caving. It was really hard. I wasn't feeling well all afternoon, and had a nap when I got home. I did have a mostly good dinner, but this morning I've fallen off the "stick to my meal plan" bandwagon. So my food is all compliant, but I'm not having the best meals that I could today for breakfast and lunch. My plan is to get back on track for dinner and do some prep for tomorrow.

I think I'm getting grumpier as we go? I just need to recharge, stay focused, and get excited about this again. I know I can do it.

How's everyone else doing?

Day 9!  Wow- can't believe I am hanging in there.  Yesterday was sooooo tough, my body was wanting me to throw in the towel.  I held firm.  While I still not very hungry I don't get nauseas at just looking at food when I woke up this morning.  Choked down a sweet potato last night with ghee and cinnamon and an apple.  Went to bed early.    

This morning was able to eat scrambled eggs with pork, onions, peppers and mushrooms.  Lunch I have chimichuri pork and veggies.  Feeling a little bit better so hopefully this will pass.  Digestion is not happy with me either so started taking a probiotic again.  Also I have not gotten a good night sleep since I started this plan so I am sure that the interrupted sleep is affecting my mood. 

Good news is my epic and Wild Zora orders have shipped and should be here before my camping trip this weekend.  Yea!

Hangin in Ga.

YAY YOU!!!

Hope today is a better day for you! Sounds like you are a much better cook than I am, lol...your fam is eating much better than mine ;0)

I did fix pork carnitas in the slow cooker yesterday ( thanks jmcbn for the suggestion ;0) and it was a huge hit! Also doubled the recipe so I don't have to cook today!!!!!!! Yay me, lol!!!!!

I had a really tough day yesterday as well ... Had that conversation in my mind about whether or not it's all really worth it...a big plate of nachos and a margarita would have really been perfection...but I did not cave ( though my youngest son who is having eating out withdrawals kept saying "sounds good, let's go ")...helpful, right???

I did read through the forums about traveling on whole 30 yesterday and though there are some good tips for short trips I am still very concerned about how I can make this work...stacy116...your camping trip is this weekend, right? Aside from bars( they are not my thing...haven't tasted one yet that was better than going hungry, lol) what are you bringing? I can pack up small amounts of fruits, veggies and nuts but I know we will be eating out...this is a business trip for the hubs I'm just along for the ride cause I want to see Washington...but there will be at least two "business dinners" I will have to navigate through and you don't want to come across as difficult at those, lol...that does not make a good impression...if I stick to salads with no dressing, lean meats with no sauces and veggies is that good enough???

Hi guys! Yesterday was really rough for me as well. My boss brought in Timbits, which, if you don't know, are tiny little donut holes of joy from Tim Hortons. They are my kryptonite, and I didn't have one. At the end of the day, I was in the staff room on my own and my first thought was, "no one will know if I have one" and I caught myself before caving. It was really hard. I wasn't feeling well all afternoon, and had a nap when I got home. I did have a mostly good dinner, but this morning I've fallen off the "stick to my meal plan" bandwagon. So my food is all compliant, but I'm not having the best meals that I could today for breakfast and lunch. My plan is to get back on track for dinner and do some prep for tomorrow.

I think I'm getting grumpier as we go? I just need to recharge, stay focused, and get excited about this again. I know I can do it.

How's everyone else doing?

CONGRATS ON THAT WIN ALLALUCE!!!

I believe that each time you are able to beat that temptation it makes you stronger and makes winning the next battle easier!!! It's like a gym trip for our will power muscle ;0)

As I said in my previous post, I had a rough day yesterday as well. When the hubs got home boy child #3 told him to watch out cause I was grouchy, lol ;0)

Have been up for an hour already but haven't been able to make myself eat breakfast yet and I've tried really hard to keep consistent with that rule of thumb.

Plan on taking a day off from cooking though ( feel like that's all I've been doing) and hopefully recharge a bit as well!

Would not have made it this far without y'all!!! Thanks for hanging in there with me!!!!!!

YAY YOU!!!

I did fix pork carnitas in the slow cooker yesterday ( thanks jmcbn for the suggestion ;0) and it was a huge hit! Also doubled the recipe so I don't have to cook today!!!!!!! Yay me, lol!

Yesterday I did pork carnitas in the crockpot too!! I was prepping that for today. I'm not sure how you did yours but I threw in some chile verde sauce and let it all cook together. I was shredding it this morning and had a taste and it was soooo good!! I started craving sweets a lot and it's been driving me crazy. I even tell myself maybe I can just lick the donut lol but I haven't!!

Congrats everyone!  Allaluce, my son is obsessed with everything "Tim Burton's"  It's like a legendary place for him, though living in Chicago, he's never been. He wants to go to have Coffee and Poutine (do they have poutine there?  Are they famous for it?)!  Anyway, good job staying away from the Timbits!

Margo, I've eaten out twice now and I think both times it went fine.  Order a salad with Olive Oil and Vinegar (ask them to bring you the little bottles if they have them or make a quick batch of vinaigrette and put it in a squeeze bottle.)  When you sit down just let the waiter know that you can't have dairy, wheat, peanuts or soy.  Will you ask the kitchen if they have any recommendations?"  It's not too fussy and eliminates your having to ask how each dish is prepared.  Then treat yourself and order a steak, a pork chop, chicken, or fish...any piece of meat with veggies on the side.  Just specify, "no sauce please.  I can't have dairy, including butter or nuts or soy".    I think it worked for me.  Had a delightful piece of halibut with spinach and roasted potatoes one night.  All prepared with Olive Oil, no butter or wine sauce (so they tell me).

I gave thought to throwing in the towel yesterday too but it was just Monday afternoon blues setting in.  I took whole 30 advice and went for a walk around the block.  Did that again after dinner just to avoid having a long evening at home wishing for a glass of wine.  I'm already talking to myself about how some things are just going to have to change after this Whole 30 is over and a nightly glass of wine or three is one of those things that has to change.  Going to try to make that a once in awhile treat or for special occasions with friends.

Putting pork Carnitas on the menu for Thursday night!  Stacy116, feel better soon! 

Haha Tim Horton's doesn't have poutine...and if they did, they sure wouldn't be famous for it. It's not as common here as you might think, though there are some specialty places that just serve poutine in any way you can think of. If you do make it to Ontario, check out Smoke's, or if you can't find one, Harvey's makes the best fast-food, easy to find poutine. :) For after your Whole30, of course!

I must try these pulled pork carnitas...If I'm remembering correctly, it called for pork butt? Which I couldn't find? I may have to grab a substitute...shoulder should work?

I must try these pulled pork carnitas...If I'm remembering correctly, it called for pork butt? Which I couldn't find? I may have to grab a substitute...shoulder should work?

So funny that a bunch of us made the carnitas yesterday. Me too! I cooked it in the oven and it was delicious! You can use shoulder for the recipe. From what I understand, it's the same cut with different names.

I've definitely hit some road bumps the last couple of days. Being out of town messed up my eating schedule. I didn't fall off plan (yay!), but I also didn't follow the template exactly at each meal (boo) because Mexico isn't exactly produce central, so I didn't have veggies with lunch on Day 7, for example. Since I've returned home, my appetite has been lacking. I'm forcing myself to eat at this point. From what I've read, though, this is pretty normal in the first couple of weeks?

So happy to hear everyone's doing well and we've all stuck with it so long! I'm impressed with our resolve!

My son says, "What, but Horton's is Canadian!"  He's so funny....he wanted to road trip there for Canada Day.  Anyway.  I'm pretty certain that shoulder and butt are the same cut of pork.  Go for it!

Haha yes, it's Canadian, but poutine is very much a product of Quebec. Tim Horton's doesn't serve fries at all, hence the lack of poutine. You should definitely come for a visit. I'm biased of course, but our country is lovely. I've always meant to see Chicago...this is turning into a Whole30 Exchange Program.

Thanks for the pork info - I'll grab some and give the recipe a try!

So funny that a bunch of us made the carnitas yesterday. Me too! I cooked it in the oven and it was delicious! You can use shoulder for the recipe. From what I understand, it's the same cut with different names.

I've definitely hit some road bumps the last couple of days. Being out of town messed up my eating schedule. I didn't fall off plan (yay!), but I also didn't follow the template exactly at each meal (boo) because Mexico isn't exactly produce central, so I didn't have veggies with lunch on Day 7, for example. Since I've returned home, my appetite has been lacking. I'm forcing myself to eat at this point. From what I've read, though, this is pretty normal in the first couple of weeks?

So happy to hear everyone's doing well and we've all stuck with it so long! I'm impressed with our resolve!

I wonder.... Could I use brisket or does anyone have any suggestions for protein?  My tummy is not a fan of pork.  And this recipe sounds DELISH!!! 

So i have this family thing coming up... a softball tournament in Texas and in the Hot Texan sun. Typically, to recharge after each game, I grab a powerade zero. I heard it is really bad for you. Any suggestions to recharge on a budget? Oh, ps. I'm allergic to coconut. Fun times for me! :o) Hope everyone is doing well. 

Wow! Stuck to plan on a trip to Mexico!!! I'm waaay impressed!!! Kudos to you dawnepants!!!!!

Lila.kay26... I would think water and a banana or orange but I am definitely no expert, lol...sounds like fun though!!!

So i have this family thing coming up... a softball tournament in Texas and in the Hot Texan sun. Typically, to recharge after each game, I grab a powerade zero. I heard it is really bad for you. Any suggestions to recharge on a budget? Oh, ps. I'm allergic to coconut. Fun times for me! :o) Hope everyone is doing well. 

Powerade zero is off limits due to the sweeteners - yep, there's more than one. To be honest I'd stick with good old water and maybe infuse it with fruit for a bit of flavour? Eating fruit on it's own is gonna spike your blood sugars.

Lila.kay26 - I would think a protein as well at some point? Like, obviously drink water, but you're also going to need a boost to your energy levels through solid meals before and after. Maybe take a look at some of the workout related posts?

I wonder.... Could I use brisket or does anyone have any suggestions for protein? My tummy is not a fan of pork. And this recipe sounds DELISH!!!

There's a recipe in the Whole30 book for brisket, but I'm not sure it'd turn out like the carnitas. I'm sure it'll be just as delicious, though! Or just go for it and try the carnitas recipe with a brisket. Maybe you'll have stumbled onto something life-changing! :)

Archived