Organic Rapeseed Oil in homemade mayo?

Marcella

Hi,

I'm a newbie living in Scandinavia. My favorite (pre-Whole30) mayo is Hellman's but I can see that there's sugar in it. I don't like the taste of homemade mayo made with olive oil or avocado oil; I think both of those tastes are  heavy and overpowering. Rapeseed oil is considered healthy here; would it be an acceptable oil?  It is not the same as canola, though it if sometimes mistaken for it.   http://www.thekitchn.com/whats-the-difference-between-canola-and-rapeseed-206047 

OK, or a no-go?

Thanks   :)

rapeseed oil isn't really healthy (it's called canola oil in the us it is the same thing. both are made from rapeseeds*), and we don't recommend it on the whole30. The whole point of making mayo is to have another source of good fat in your diet. Using a fat like canola would defeat the purpose entirely.

I would recommend looking at alternate olive oils or avocado oils (macadamia nut oil is also really nice). There is a wide range of these available. For mayo, you want a pale color and "lite" tasting oil, not the dark green avocado oil or the extra virgin olive oil.

*EDIT: I stand corrected, canola is a variant of rapeseed that has been genetically modified to be lower in erucic acid. Although I can't imagine why Scandinavian people would consider a high erucic acid version of this oil to be healthy, they might. Neither is recommended on the whole30.

rapeseed oil isn't really healthy (it's called canola oil in the us it is the same thing. both are made from rapeseeds*), and we don't recommend it on the whole30. The whole point of making mayo is to have another source of good fat in your diet. Using a fat like canola would defeat the purpose entirely.

I would recommend looking at alternate olive oils or avocado oils (macadamia nut oil is also really nice). There is a wide range of these available. For mayo, you want a pale color and "lite" tasting oil, not the dark green avocado oil or the extra virgin olive oil.

*EDIT: I stand corrected, canola is a variant of rapeseed that has been genetically modified to be lower in erucic acid. Although I can't imagine why Scandinavian people would consider a high erucic acid version of this oil to be healthy, they might. Neither is recommended on the whole30.

Thanks, I'll just have to scout around for a mild tasting healthy oil :) Maccademia sounds like a good bet.

Macadamia oil is nice but on the forum some say it's overpowering for mayo

huh. I've never seen a macadamia nut oil that was super dark and strong like you sometimes do for Avocado oil. I think with all of these it is actually more about the processing of the oil than the source--if it is light in color and taste as a plain oil it will be better for mayo, unless there is something about the macadamia nut flavor this person found off-putting? I've even heard of people using walnut oil, which is much stronger in nutty flavor...oh well...try a few different oils and see what you like.

I've even heard of people using walnut oil, which is much stronger in nutty flavor...oh well...try a few different oils and see what you like.

Yup. I use walnut oil when I can't find macadamia. I kind of like the nutty flavour. I also add spices, crushed peppercorns, or crushed garlic to mix it up a bit.

Archived