6/1/2015 - Riding Our Own Bikes, Together!

Crimsann

http://forum.whole9life.com/topic/27631-start-date-june-1

By popular demand, starting a new topic in the Reintroduction section to continue our journey together!  I think we should continue to post on our old "home" through tomorrow, but wanted to make sure we had the new location up in time for everyone who is interested in continuing our conversation to find us.

Some of us will be moving into reintroduction immediately, some are doing just a few more days/weeks, and some are continuing on through July to join the Official Whole30 so this won't be a true reintroduction topic in that sense....but we all still have so much to share.

Hope to see you here!

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in - I'm planning to continue the Whole30 protocol at least for 15 more days. I'm travelling for 3 weeks after that and finding it may be difficult to be as strict about compliant foods such as bacon. I plan to at least remain grain and dairy free though might be more lax about being a stickler about sugar appearing in my balsamic vinegar :)

I'm in. I have a trip next weekend so I will do the quick reintroduction. I dont plan on eating legumes so I will not reintroduce them. I want to see how dairy and gluten affects my body. After my trip I plan on being whole 30 compliant as much as possible.

I want to see how other people reintroduce items and noticeable changes. 

Whoo hoo! Here we goooooo! Grab those handlebars and pedal!

Here is a quick and easy recipe that I make at least once a month, it is almost never the same twice, filled with tasty stuff and as compliant as you want it to be. I just call it "Stuff", as in 'What are you making for dinner?' STUFF! 

• Brown 1 pound of your favorite ground meat in a large deep skillet with some cooking fat, add salt and pepper. I've used ground beef, turkey, chicken, pork - whatever you like!
  • when brown transfer the meat to a bowl
  • sauté your favorite veggies in the fat from the meat, add salt and pepper
  • I usually like mushrooms, onions, peppers work well - really, whatever you have and like!
  • when the veggies have softened, dump in 1 can of crushed tomatoes
  • add the meat back in
  • add in what ever herbs you like best. Today I used an Italian blend of oregano, basil, garlic powder and I forget...have also toasted and ground coriander seeds, fennel seeds, maybe you like cumin - go for it! Herbs de Provence can be nice.
  • simmer for at least 10 minutes

When you have a feel for whether or not noodles have a place on your plate, you can add in some of your favorite noodles and simply create a couple more servings from the pot.

Enjoy! I'm off to eat some Stuff!

This will produce about 4-6 servings.

I eat one right away, so does anyone who is home. A side of green salad goes with it quite nicely.

The rest go into serving size containers and in the fridge or freeze.

Hugs to everyone!!

Ruby

So first question out to the group...thoughts on something easy I could make for a work carry-in tomorrow that wouldn't scream Whole30 but actually be totally compliant? 

I considered making some cauliflower rice, jazzing it up a bit by mixing in some orange and purple cauliflower with the standard white.  I'm thinking that could stay warm in a crock-pot pretty easily and it's something I won't mind eating on later if it doesn't get eaten up. 

But I'm taking ideas if you have them!  I'm hoping some of you are thinking about this in regards to festivities this weekend and might already have some ideas.

Didn't have time to take pics or measurements this morning, will have to do those when I get home.

It is time to post any SV's we may have had during our W30...drum roll....10 pounds!

Pretty great progress for 30 days!

Thank you Whole 30!

And my semi-compliant hubby lost 8.

Can't wait to hear how you all faired!!

Here are my results:

Weight Lost: 10.6lbs

Inches Lost: 17in overall

I have such a long way to go. I was hopeful I'd see better progress. When I go down through all of the individual measurements, some parts of my body didn't improve at all - which explains why clothes still don't fit. I went in for my blood work this morning and hopefully should have results in about two weeks.

The one major thing I got out of this is I had 3 weeks of what is likely consider "normal" energy levels. I have been living in a fog with little to no energy for years that it became my new normal. Getting a glimpse of what real energy feels like makes me all the more convinced something more significant is going on with my body.

@ Crimsann: We did our Independence celebration last weekend, and I made a home-made spinach dip that was compliant and served it with fresh seasonal veggies. The dip turned out pretty good, if not "exactly" like the dip with the instant soup mix in it. Let me know if you're interested in the recipe.

@ WholeSue - no complaints from the peanut gallery allowed. Read my results and you will see that I would be thrilled with those numbers!  ;) Oh - and "me, too" on the something more significant going on with my body. I go for blood work tomorrow.

Norm weighed in this morning, and he has lost an additional 8 lbs (he had lost 10 lbs already since starting his new more active job prior to starting W30 - he now needs to STOP losing weight). I, on the other hand, only lost 1 lb [sigh - why does losing weight have to be so hard for me?!]. However, I did lose some inches - 2 in the waist and 1 in the hips - and that was with minimal exercise due to the ups and downs of fatigue - that I would like to find the root cause of. I have a couple of ideas where to start on that process, but for now we are starting re-introductions. Today is honey in our tea. We will see how that goes. 

Love the sound of stuff! With regards re-introduction I am doing the slow roll, I'm going to relax on the no sugar bacon rule and my husband has been aching to do a chilli with kidney beans so I'll try them. It's really my reaction to gluten and dairy that interests me most but since I have missed neither I am not in a rush to reintroduce them. I failed to keep a food diary during the past month but I will try and start one now to help log how reintroduction is going.

I am a little sad that I did not see many NSV or lost much weight compared to my mom. I lost 5lbs and my mom lost 21lbs! I have some mixed feelings about this program. It did wonders for my mom (which I am truly happy about) but not for me.

I can say I am happier in a time where I have been under a lot of pressure and stress. So that is a huge plus. 

I will stay positive because I learned a lot about food and my eating habits (which is the main point of the program).

I would like to try it again next month. Any suggestions to ensure more results?

Biggest NSV is still guilt free bedtimes. Instead of saying I'll do better tomorrow I am celebrating the day's food choices. Love this!

6 lbs lost, a couple inches smaller (but slightly cheating because I measured first thing in the morning, but I did think about my NSVs first :)

Fast tracking now because I have a trip mid month but hope to continue the good habits going forward.

Congratulations everyone!

@DonnaB, I just checked and someone already signed up for spinach dip!  Argh!  Still, do share please!

Okay, here goes. It was pretty easy. I made a batch of home-made mayo (my recipe makes about 2 1/2 C and can be found on the mayo forum near the bottom of the page - but use all pure olive oil, no coconut oil for this application - or use your own recipe). Then I add:

3 T Dried parsley

1 - 1.5 t onion powder

1 - 1.5 t granulated garlic

1/2 t smoked paprika (this is probably optional, but I had seen it in a recipe for ranch dressing that I liked so decided to include it)

2 - 3 T. Chives

1 10 oz package frozen spinach, thawed and drained (press out as much liquid as you can, otherwise your dip will be more soupy)

1 4 oz can of water chestnuts

3 green onions

1 5.4 oz can coconut cream (it really does need this - before I added the coconut cream the flavor was more like mayo with spinach in it. The coconut cream subs for the texture of the sour cream that is in the recipe on the soup mix boxes and helps with absorbing the flavors of the other seasonings. And please - keep this ingredient a secret. Amazingly - both of my sons, who love the spinach dip that is made with the box mix said this was very good - and no one at the party guessed there was anything with coconut in it - the flavor did not come through)

3 T. chopped tomato.

I put all of the ingredients in the food processor except the green onions and water chestnuts (I like some texture, so I leave them until last) and blend thoroughly. Then add the drained water chestnuts and the green onions (cut in 1 - 2 inch lengths) and pulse about 5 - 10 times - checking as you go until it's the right texture.

I thought it turned out pretty well for my first try and making it without the soup mix. If I do it again, I will make sure the spinach is much dryer before adding, and I might put in some grated carrot and a 1/2 t. xanthan gum or 2 t. unflavored tapioca pearls - both are compliant - to help it thicken a bit more).  Enjoy!

So first question out to the group...thoughts on something easy I could make for a work carry-in tomorrow that wouldn't scream Whole30 but actually be totally compliant? 

I considered making some cauliflower rice, jazzing it up a bit by mixing in some orange and purple cauliflower with the standard white.  I'm thinking that could stay warm in a crock-pot pretty easily and it's something I won't mind eating on later if it doesn't get eaten up. 

But I'm taking ideas if you have them!  I'm hoping some of you are thinking about this in regards to festivities this weekend and might already have some ideas.

I have made the Chicken Meatballs and served with a dipping sauce (ranch dressing or herb mayo). Serve on a tray or in a bowl with toothpicks, yummy warm or cold! Super easy recipe, too.  : )

I am a little sad that I did not see many NSV or lost much weight compared to my mom. I lost 5lbs and my mom lost 21lbs! I have some mixed feelings about this program. It did wonders for my mom (which I am truly happy about) but not for me.

I can say I am happier in a time where I have been under a lot of pressure and stress. So that is a huge plus. 

I will stay positive because I learned a lot about food and my eating habits (which is the main point of the program).

I would like to try it again next month. Any suggestions to ensure more results?

If you have been under a lot of stress during the Whole30 that can definitely affect your results. Remember that stress = higher levels of Cortisol and Adrenaline in your bloodstream pretty much all the time, which = INFLAMMATION. Inflammation is of course the main problem we're all trying to fight here, and in your case, it could be that your body had to prioritize dealing with the stress-induced inflammation over any other issues such as healing, weight loss, etc. Maybe jump on one of the Troubleshooting forums and seek guidance from a moderator on how to proceed? Good Luck!! : )

Happy Day 31 everyone!

My list of NSVs is huge!!

- I figured out how to have a full refrigerator without spending every second in the kitchen

- We have drastically reduced the amount of fresh food that we waste (i.e. we buy it but it sits untoched in the frig until it needs to be tossed). It feels so good to eat everything in the frig and then restock

- agree with @LoribWhole30 it feels amazing to go to bed without guiltily promising to do better tomorrow. I love that!

- I have lost my cravings for sweets (and my fruit intake is much lower than before Whole30)

- I realized that I don't really crave pasta, like I thought I did. I actually crave marinara sauce :)

My scale results are right on target for me: I lost 8.5 pounds and while I didn't take measurements, all of my clothes fit better and my before/after pics are inspiration enough to keep me going.

@Crimsann  I took a big salad and homemade salad dressing to my potluck over the weekend, along with compliant plantain chips (yum!). I agree that you want to take something that you'll be thrilled to eat later in the week. I like @vozelle's idea of the chicken meatballs - or even the chicken bites recipe would be good.

My Day 31 results:

Lost 5 lbs - Happy with this. I started with a fairly normal weight and didn't want to lose too much, but another 5 would be fine! : )

Lost 2-3" inches - Mostly from waist and arms (hips and thighs are stubborn, lol)

[Forgot to take a "before" pic, sorry I have nothing to share!]

NSV's:

No more daily stomach aches (my main reason for joining the Whole30!!!)

Significantly reduced chronic back pain (my second reason for joining!!!)

Killed my snack dragon dead

Got my hormones balanced

Awake easily without alarm, feel bright-eyed and bushy-tailed

Food freedom: no more inner negotiation, guilt, bargaining, etc.

Less anxiety and less controlling (of situations, of others, etc.)

More patient (unless I'm hungry, lol)

Reduced Tinnitus symptoms

Less brain fog

More muscle-toned

Feel "lighter" in general

No more eye fatigue, eyesight improving

Naturally thirsty; don't have to remind myself to drink water

Clothes fit better

Starting to like my own butt (hasn't happened in YEARS)

Feeling at home in my own skin

Enjoying exercise, and having more stamina/quicker recovery

Experiencing Tiger Blood! (wouldn't trade this for anything, can't wait to have more)

Goals achieved during my Whole30:

I made a goal to exercise/move my body 30 min (or more), 4-5x a week... I did it. Some weeks I did 6 days!

I made a goal to meditate for 30 min daily... I did it. ALL 30 days!!

Ongoing challenges:

Bowel irregularity (constipation) - curious to see how food reintroductions affect this issue

Incorporate more vigorous exercise (want to work up a sweat 4-5x/week, not JUST walk or do yoga)

Keep Snack Dragon in the grave (I'm a little scared to reintroduce anything sweet!!)

SO glad I did this, and SO grateful for all of you. I'm waiting until next week for reintroductions... going out of town this weekend and it's easier just to stick with this 100% and not risk any weird reactions while away. CONGRATS, everyone!!

Archived