eating way too much

Hello, 

Ive been eating whole30 food for a month now but havent been able to eat 3 whole30 meals a day. I am starving. I have definitely packed on the pounds in the last few weeks. I dont want to restrict calories nor do i want to drive myself crazy counting calories. I love eating whole30 foods- but i feel like i am eating way too much and my clothes are starting to get tight. I dont eat nuts, or raw vegetables or nightshades...my veggies that i do eat are steamed or in the form of soup. my fat sources are avocados, coconut milk, coconut butter and i think i eat wayyy too much of these. i was also going too low carb as i wasnt eating any carby veggies mostly green like broccoli and cauliflower and spinach. i like to work out in the morning, so i dont think i can eat meal 1 so early and i wont be able to go so long without eating until lunch. i tend to binge eat after dinner because i am starving the rest of the day. i try to go by the template but i am not full after one plate. i have 30 lbs i need to lose as well as get all my hormones regulated. i can easily consume 2500+ calories a day. 

any help is appreciated. thank you.

You are hungry because you need to eat more.  Listen to your body - EAT!!!!!  It's sending you messages for a reason - please, please start listening to them.

Okay if you can list out meals as you eat them - like Meal 1, meal 2 and meal 3 it would help us out troubleshoot a little more.  Also include water consumption and activity levels.

1st step - take everything you learned from conventional wisdom and THROW it out the window.  Ready?  Set?  Go!  (Okay I'll wait while you do that)

By starving yourself or by not eating enough - you throw yourself in a fight or flight stress mode.  What do our bodies do when they are stressed and not getting enough food - it Hoards.  Meaning it will hold onto anything and everything it gets and store it as fat.  So start by feeding yourself properly.  1 - 2 palm sized portions of protein (that's the height, width, and depth of your palm), 2 to 3 cups of veggies (with every single meal, and 1 to 2 thumbsized portions of fat. (More if you need more).  Fruit is optional.  Also include 1 fist sized portion of starchy veg daily to start.  ESPECIALLY if you are exercising.  If you are a women - we need starchy carbs in order to help balance out our hormones.  We have happy hormones we lose weight - unhappy hormones will give us a much harder time to lose.  Balancing hormones starts with having a full template meal within an hour of waking.

• Moderators

Quit thinking in terms of calories. If you're starving, you need food. If you can't eat enough in three meals, either because you just can't eat that much at once or because you work long days or whatever that makes your schedule  not work with just three meals, it's okay to eat more, but eat either full sized or mini-meals consisting of protein, fat, and vegetables. 

The meal template lists ranges, and it's a minimum amount, so you can eat more than that if you need to. So maybe you need to aim for the upper end of the template to start -- 2 palm-sized portions of protein (that's length, width, and depth of your palm); 2 thumb-sized portions of fat, or two heaping handfuls of olives, or two heaping handfuls of coconut flakes, or two closed handfuls of nuts; and aim for 3 cups of vegetables at every meal. At least once a day, eat a fist-sized serving of starchy vegetables -- more if you're active, prone to depression or anxiety, pregnant or nursing, or in the week leading up to your period (obviously those last ones only apply if you're female).

Between meals, if you're truly hungry, eat a mini meal of protein, fat, and vegetables.

I know it sounds wrong to tell you to eat more when you're concerned about gaining weight, but I think if you get used to eating 3-4 meals a day, you'll find you aren't binging at night, and ultimately you'll end up eating less. 

Soup is an okay way to get your vegetables in, but be sure your soups are thick, with lots of vegetables, not a bunch of broth with just a few veggies. And instead of steaming all your vegetables, try roasting them sometimes -- it's automatically adding a little more fat, and you may find them more satisfying. Not that steamed vegetables are bad -- if you truly love them that way, do that, but however you cook them, be sure you're eating a ton of them. And a variety. Not necessarily that every day you need a bunch of different kinds of vegetables, but be sure over time you're getting a variety, not falling into a rut, just eating the same three or four over and over again.

Yes either an avocado at each meal or an entire can of coconut. I can eat and eat and eat all the fat. Sometimes I get nauseous from fat but that's because I don't eat a proper meal before I go to gym usually just a fat. For example today I had meal 1 half a can of coconut milk, a slider of meat. Meal 2 was a piece of salmon, a cup of blueberries, a bag of coconut chips, 1/2 cup of butternut squash and a pile of spinach with mushrooms and onions. Meal 3 was an avocado, a palm of chicken breast, a cup of blueberries, three cups of broccoli. i can go 3 hours between meals but I get hungry!!! Dinner I was planning on having zucchini soup, two thumbs of coconut manna and two beef sliders. I will prob still be hungry.

I am female. I have squash and beets as my starchy veggies. I can eat an entire pot of soup and a spoon in my coconut butter. I take digestive enzymes with my food too. I work out every day either kickboxing or boot camp but I have a desk job and travel on the train an hour each way. I have cut back on my exercise I used to go twice a day and eat under 1200 calories. But I am getting fatter. I was eating an avocado at every meal as I felt fullest eating that or eating coconut cream from the can.

• Administrators

Forgive me if I have misunderstood but if you were previously only eating 1200 calories per day and now you are moving to a Whole30 format, you may very well experience a period of regain while your body holds on to all the nutrients you are giving it.  This should be temporary.

That said, your meal one is missing vegetables (around 3 cups of them would be good here) and is light on protein.  Yes, fat keeps you satiated but that is within the context of the rest of the template.  Your other meals look pretty good although I would encourage you to beef up on veggies before you start adding the fruits, especially given that you are experiencing hunger between meals.  Coconut manna is not the best fat source as it tends to be on the concentrated sweet side and that can cause false hunger later on in the day also.  

It could very well be that your body is begging for nutrients and for that reason is sending you the hunger signal.  You could honor that signal with extra food at your meals, protein veggies and fat.  

I don't have much time in the am before kickboxing so I grabbed that when I woke up...

How long does refeeding last? At this point I've had my dinner of two sliders a huge bowl of soul and other half can of coconut and am still hungry.

• Administrators

How did you eat previously (sorry if you've mentioned it already).

If you are coming off being used to eating a lot of grains and filler type foods, you may need to revise how you are experiencing the feeling that you are identifying as "hunger". Grains (pasta, rice, bread, cookies etc) give you a "full" feeling that is not at all like the full feeling you'll get when eating a template meal. Given that you said you only felt fine after eating the plantain, I wonder if this "carbed up" feeling is what you are mistaking for needing in order for your brain to understand "full".

It's possible that you might need to feed yourself to the template (soup isn't a great option unless it's THICK with veggies and meats) and then just let your body rest with the food for a bit.

Have you ever had food anxiety? Could be manifesting as hunger if you are feeling stressed about the changes in your diet?

I've counted calories to lose weight and over exercised. I used to eat diet everything and zero calorie substitutes. My doctor told me to go off dairy, grains, gluten, corn, soy etc about three months ago. I was eating 1200 calories a day no carbs not even starchy veggies- and two tablespoons of almond butter a day and lots of egg whites. I had terrible stomach issues so I decided to go off eggs and nuts and raw vegetables. I noticed a difference immediately. I stopped eating this low cal diet two weeks ago and have just been trying to listen to my body but my body likes to be a fatty and I don't!!! I stopped over training and really listen to my body when it needs rest. But as for food anxiety I definitely had it at some point and might still have it.

At the end of tonight I had 4 sliders, a plantain in coconut oil, a tablespoon of coconut butter, 3 bowls of soup, and some sautéed spinach with mushroom and onion and a half can of coconut milk and a handful or so of blueberries. That's like an entire day's worth of food. I need major help on these meals.

Yes you do

My typical day starts with eating within the hour of waking

M1 2/3 eggs scrambled over clarified butter handful sweet potato greens meat or chicken

M2 BA salad with 2 palms of Protien olives avocado greens veg olive oil Apple etc

M3 Protien 2/4 fats 2/4 veggies greens potato

Root veg etc

Archived