eating way too much

Well, I can tell you, if you are doing kick boxing, you for sure need to be eating more! I have done hard style Okinawan Karate as well as Tae Kwon Do, and even though I am overweight, I sure needed to eat more than 1200 kcals a day. (My hubby has 10+ years of training in both as well as Tai Chi)

My typical M1 is at least 3 cups of various veg sauteed in ghee or avocado oil. If I have spinach with it I typically don't count it in the veggie count because 3 HUGE handfuls cooks down to barely a 1/2 cup, 3 eggs (I know you don't eat 'em) or a couple chicken sausages, a meat patty, chicken... or even a can of tuna. If I do tuna, it is tuna salad, with mayo, onion, celery, pickles, seasonings, that I scoop up with celery sticks and slices of cucumber and I always have tomatoes with it. OR I will do leftovers from the night before. 

M2 -- HUGE salad with lots of greens, various other veggies, sometimes roasted or grilled and marinated, a meat of some sort or I will have chicken salad (like curried chicken) or grilled steak or ground beef, maybe a tin of sardines packed in olive oil. OR leftovers. I usually cook a london broil or other similar cut to have in my salads during the week. 

M3 -- protein of some sort -- chicken, beef, pork, lamb, shellfish -- roasted veggies, maybe a salad. I always have a fat of some sort and I shoot for 9-12 cups a day of veggies. 

I grew up with a mom who held me for most of my growing up years and while I was at home to 900kcals a day, so I understand exactly what 1200 calories is like. Let go of that mindset. If you are doing heavy kickboxing, you really should be eating more. I would add sweet potatoes, carrots, turnips, winter squash for your carby veg. Make a curry and have your coconut milk that way. You may need more than 30 days to reset your hormones. Don't fight the process. Give your body what it needs. I can tell you, if you have been starving your body, you bet it will hold on to what you feed it until it realizes that you are not going to starve it again and you will release the weight you have gained. Also, over training does nothing for you except wear down the muscle you have put on. 

• Moderators

At the end of tonight I had 4 sliders, a plantain in coconut oil, a tablespoon of coconut butter, 3 bowls of soup, and some sautéed spinach with mushroom and onion and a half can of coconut milk and a handful or so of blueberries. That's like an entire day's worth of food. I need major help on these meals.

It really is okay to eat a lot of food. Sliders are typically not very big, I'm guessing four is at most two palm-sized servings, maybe not even that much. Instead of the coconut butter, which is an okay fat but which could keep you craving sweets if that's at all an issue for you, have avocado or olives or make up some mayo or other sauce. Instead of soup, roast a bunch of vegetables, I think you'll find they're more filling that way than in a soup. If you really love the soup and want some soup, have a bowl of soup and another cup or two or more of other vegetables.

And that really isn't an entire day's worth of food. It really, really isn't.  It's a large meal, and heavy on the fat, but definitely not three meals' worth.

Truly, eat up when you're hungry, have plenty of vegetables, protein, and fat, and I really do think over time you'll find your appetite will change and you'll eat less overall.

But definitely start working on getting in some food within an hour of waking up. If you can't manage a full breakfast, at least have something. If you work out first thing, play with some protein/fat combos as pre-workout -- maybe leftover meat and some olives or avocado, just a bite or two if that's all you can handle. And don't forget your post-workout meals when you work out, either -- lean protein and optionally some starchy vegetable, maybe chicken breast and sweet potato. Ideally, when your hormones are all functioning the way they ought to be, you'll wake up hungry, and by the end of the day, you'll be less hungry as your body winds down to get ready for sleep. (That's a huge oversimplification, there's more details are in It Starts With Food, if you want to read more about it.)

I've read and re read the whole 30 and it starts with food books a bunch of times.

This morning I woke up, drank 3 cups of water and had meal 1 which consisted of 16 oz broccoli, 2 sliders, a handful of blueberries and I started with a half can of coconut milk but I wanted more so I finished it. This is a major problem. Could this excess fat be causing my stomach fat? Also I work away from home so I need to pack my meals to go. I brought with me meal 2 which is a small avocado, a half cup of butternut squash, a slice of salmon and sautéed mushrooms onions and spinach and a cup of blueberries. Meal 3 which I plan on eatin right before I leave work and go to boot camp is palm of chicken, three cups of steamed veggies and either another avocado or a bag of dang coconut chips. I will have meal 4 after I work out. And I hope not to eat after that. I'm so frustrated. I like to eat when I wake up given that I have enough time. I think instead of the other half of coconut milk I could have had another slider? Please help. I'm desperate to gain my life back.

I've read and re read the whole 30 and it starts with food books a bunch of times.

This morning I woke up, drank 3 cups of water and had meal 1 which consisted of 16 oz broccoli, 2 sliders, a handful of blueberries and I started with a half can of coconut milk but I wanted more so I finished it. This is a major problem. Could this excess fat be causing my stomach fat? Also I work away from home so I need to pack my meals to go. I brought with me meal 2 which is a small avocado, a half cup of butternut squash, a slice of salmon and sautéed mushrooms onions and spinach and a cup of blueberries. Meal 3 which I plan on eatin right before I leave work and go to boot camp is palm of chicken, three cups of steamed veggies and either another avocado or a bag of dang coconut chips. I will have meal 4 after I work out. And I hope not to eat after that. I'm so frustrated. I like to eat when I wake up given that I have enough time. I think instead of the other half of coconut milk I could have had another slider? Please help. I'm desperate to gain my life back.

Yeah, I'd probably double the protein and half the fat in those meals you describe, and I'd maybe have skipped the blueberries and added more veg to meal one & two. Spinach when it wilts down amounts to not very much at all so you need to be eating a ton of it to be satiating in any way. Also worth noting that some folk report have a crash mid afternoon when they eat fruit with meal one, although as far as fruit goes blueberries are pretty good.

Other than that this doesn't sound like a lot of food to me.

What is your postWO meal?

stomach fat is often caused by cortisol, which is a by-product of stress. You need to relax. Breathe. Go for a walk. Your meals look fine other than the dang coconut chips, which are really not a recommended food. Rather than eating snack food that comes in a bag, get used to eating more of the veggies and meats.

Your meals are not too large, they just seem that way because of how you were eating before. RELAX. Your body is hungry because you are finally feeding it what it needs. eat.

Hi - I finished my first W30 on June 10, and I was just poking around the forums and came across this posting. I, too, have read "It starts with food", and re-read chapters throughout my w30 journey and found it all extremely interesting. In reading through the challenges you're experiencing, I'm wondering what's going on beyond nutrition. I love this post on the whole9 site:

http://whole9life.com/2011/09/whole9-health-equation/

It talks about how, yes, nutrition is the cornerstone of good health, but there are so many additional factors that people lose sight of (e.g. sleep quality, stress, etc.). I particularly like this quote: 

People ask us about the lectins in tree nuts, the fructose content of half a pear, or whether it’s okay to eat the deer they shot if the deer may have been feeding on GMO corn. (True story.)  And in many of these instances, what we want to say is,  “It really doesn’t matter, since you’re only sleeping 5 hours a night and I can smell the cortisol on you from across the street.” So we encourage you to pull back a bit, do a little introspection, and try to see beyond any one factor (specifically, nutrition) to view the reality of your big-picture health and fitness situation.  After all, self-analysis is nearly as critical to genuine progress as dissent (but that’s a topic for another day).

In reading thru your concerns, it seems that this whole30 is stressing you out more than it's helping. 

Is a slider a burger? That is what comes up top in a google search. Where I come from it is 2 ice-cream scoops held between two wafers. All I can add is that I would feel hungry eating what you do, it takes way food especially protein to keep me satisfied so I agree with the others that you are not eating enough. 

• Moderators

Is a slider a burger? That is what comes up top in a google search. Where I come from it is 2 ice-cream scoops held between two wafers. All I can add is that I would feel hungry eating what you do, it takes way food especially protein to keep me satisfied so I agree with the others that you are not eating enough. 

A slider is typically a small burger, probably half the size of a regular hamburger. For Whole30 purposes, it's either just the meat, or a "sandwich" of the meat between something like sweet potato slices or mushrooms.

I would definitely agree that you might need to add more carbs.  Especially since you are active.

Clearly your body is craving fat - hence why you are going all out on the fat.  This might be a temporary reaction to being undernourished for a long time.  For me I craved fatty cuts of red meat in the beginning.  It took mfulle a bit to get my head around it (after being told that red meat and fat were bad for me)

Your body is full of signals.  For instance - If I'm craving bacon or cheese I know I need to increase my fat and salt intake.  Potato Chips?  Up my starchies and salt.  Chocolate?  Increase the dark leafy vegetables and double my magnesium dose (I need to do this just before my period.

So start listening to your body and your hunger cues.  Fellow moderator Tom ate 5 to 6 meals in the beginning - eventually things leveled out.  So it could be that your body is going - WOW!  your feeding me nutrient dense stuff - I want more of this!!!  So maybe embrace it for a short period of time and give it what it wants - fattier cuts of meat, root vegetables roasted in ghee or duck fat. 

Well, also consider the fact that you are not yet ready to listen to your body and hunger cues.  When we come to whole food eating from old habits of processed stuff, our hunger and satiety signals are often just plain broken.

I do agree that one should eat to support their activities, and the body's demand for food volume and macro types may vary day to day, but I don't think there's any "no hunger, ever" guarantee with the Whole30.  I'm not saying there's a Hunger Dragon that you should ignore like a Sugar Dragon, but it's something to consider.

Binging on avocados and coconut milk doesn't necessarily mean your body is craving fat or needs more calories to fuel a workout, or whatever. It may be psychological rather than physiological: your *brain* is trying to overeat for some reason. It's not the food's fault.

I'm not sure if anyone else had mentioned this but soup rarely ever satisfies me as a side or in place of my veggies. To really feel full I need to eat solid foods and I do eat a lot. Try to eat slowly too if you're not already. After consuming such a low amount of calories for a while your body might be really confused as to what "full" feels like. For me personally, when I'm stressed I want to eat a TON. I hope things level out a bit for you!

yes i think it may be psychological as well as physical hunger and thats why i am reaching out for help- for someone to guide me and tell me yes continue eating xyz or rather than eating an excess of fat eat this...or that seems like too much for your weight and activity level...

i am going to try to add uncooked veggies into my meals as i enjoy bulk and feel more full when eating a big salad but it may give me issues...

my periods are off...one of the reasons i want to do a whole30. today is my official first day i decided. the first of the month...aside for my entire can of coconut milk this am- im doing pretty well. I will buy some more veggies and meats tonight. how many avocados a day is too much? eating the way i did this am at 645 kept me going until 1245 today. not bad i reckon. the soups will be an addition to the veggies if i feel i still want but will focus on veggies. i may need 5 meals today is that ok? thank you all for replying its so kind and generous.

Yes 5 meals ok for now ...this is excerpt of above Carlaccini wrote:

"So start listening to your body and your hunger cues. Fellow moderator Tom ate 5 to 6 meals in the beginning - eventually things leveled out. So it could be that your body is going - WOW! your feeding me nutrient dense stuff - I want more of this!!! So maybe embrace it for a short period of time and give it what it wants - fattier cuts of meat, root vegetables roasted in ghee or duck fat.

"

how many avocados a day is too much? eating the way i did this am at 645 kept me going until 1245 today. not bad i reckon. the soups will be an addition to the veggies if i feel i still want but will focus on veggies. i may need 5 meals today is that ok? thank you all for replying its so kind and generous.

Moderator Tom Denham also answered the avocado question recently here

Yes, your time between meals isn't bad.  Maybe cut back a wee bit to get it closer to 5 hours in between.

If you need 5 meals a day, that's ok for now.  Keep experimenting with your hunger cues, pre and post workout meals, and portion sizes.

Archived