(gonna be) healthycrone's W30

healthycrone

Attack is punching and kicking and a bit of jumping to loud music with lots of bass. It is wonderfully cathartic to make it thru the hour dripping wet but still able to move. I do a weight class called pump which has something rediculous like 136 squats. When I started those classes i walked funny for weeks!

I live in a small village but we are blessed with 2 good pubs and a boutique health club ( not a chain) with a nice pool, good gym and great instructors.

I volunteer for two charities ( the local women's refuge where I am Treasurer and a Trustee and an advice bureau that gives free legal or debt advice to those who need it )and work out and look after myself and my home and hang with Ralph. It may not sound it but most days I am pretty busy and happy.

Mcnix,  you are livin' the dream. It sounds like you've found balance in your life, and you're as busy as you want to be. I hope whatever NSV's you're looking for in this W30 journey only add to your blessings!

I miss the small town life for sure, but with the kids and grandkids here, I'm not sure we'd leave. I'd probably just pine for them, if I did. Ha! Never satisfied! Still, I hope to retire soon & figure out what I really want to be when I grow up!

15 days down (almost). Half way there! Still hanging' in and you know what? It's no hardship. A little more energy today...I hope that's an omen of things to come!

You are so right, it is no hardship. Years ago when I quit smoking a few days / weeks in my tongue turned sore and horrible and my doc said it was the poison coming out. I felt pretty bad on days 4-7 but I guess that maybe the body resetting thing is correct and that was what it was. One of my charities has been putting a heavy demand on me due to an hr issue and I have been giving them lots of time, some of which is coming from my sleep. So while I don't think I have tiger blood I am coping pretty well with the pressure and for sure very much better than I would have done before I started this on the 29th

Cheers for now, keep on keepin on

We live in a small town of 3000 and I love it.  We talk about moving and we'd like to move for job and school reasons, but I sure do love small towns.

It is amazing that we over half way.  It always feels so far away at first.  I don't have any tiger blood, but that doesn't surprise me.  I've got so much healing to do that I think it takes a lot longer to get to that good zone.  I'm hoping I just stick with this entire thing and keep going.  I'm such a happier healthier person.

Emma, What you said. Yes! No tiger blood yet for me either, but as DH said, it took almost 60 years to get this messed up - fixing it doesn't happen overnight! We just can't get discouraged. 

Only 3000 people? Lucky you! There is just shy of half a million in my little berg. Plus, each city runs into the next, and the whole "metro" area is over 4.5 million. <sigh> I dream of smaller, quieter environs!

Hang in there = you know we can do this!

Oh, I'll definitely hang in there or at least keep coming back when I biff it.  We did our first Whole30 a couple years ago and after that and eating semi Whole30 for a few months I was able to catch a cold without having accompanying asthma attacks.  It was so wonderful and freeing and also really eye-opening.  All the doctors and medicine had barely made a dent and here all I had to do was eat clean and my body wouldn't need to do this over-reacting bit.  I really, really want to be a healthy older parent and it's only going to happen if I change my ways.  Unfortunately, when I start eating junky foods here and there, I don't seem to have a good off setting, but even with a few weeks or months here and there of poor eating, I'm still moving forward and now I can really see the difference in how I feel when I eat the SAD foods and the clean foods - just a shame I have to keep reproving that point to myself! :)

I think I feel better, so maybe more like pussycat blood, but I am certain that I have more stamina. I am also certain that for this to work, my emphasis will need to be on the whole not on the 30. I think the 30 is a trick akin to the Disney queues that wrap and wrap again to hide the thousands waiting.

Emma, when you completed your 30 and went to semi w30 eating, what kind of reintroduction did you do? I am on day 21 and am trying to decide what the future is going to look like. I am less bloated but don't think my weightloss is more than a few pounds, worth having as I think it is fat so not grumpy. But with 45 to lose am only 10% of the way there. Any advice is very welcome.

My step daughter is on the way to becoming a mum at 41, with assistance - she was a vegetarian, and at 5’6" and 110 pounds underweight. She was like a whippet, pure muscle and lean but the low body fat kept her from regular cycles etc. She had nutritional counselling and her recommended diet is very like this plan. She has gained slightly and improved her composition which is what had to happen for her to be ready to support life. So I find it interesting that it works from both sides of the weight coin.

It feels healthy to eat this way, and I dont miss the bloat. But I really miss smoothies and wine, I only have it on a weekend with my village friends - either down the pub or at someone's house and not buckets. And smoothies, my fave was a kale, ginger, green apple and cucumber and I loved it. But will wait it out. Will spend day 31 deep cleaning my blender...

pussycat blood (?!) sounds right to me. Not oozing energy, but feel better in general. Although, if I've lost weight it's only a very few pounds, the bloat is pretty much gone (yea!). I'm also trying to figure out what my future is going to look like. I miss my glass of raw milk every day, and having a drink or two on the weekends. So those I'll definitely try to bring back. For some reason, raw milk products don't seem to have a negative effect on my system, where commercial products do. Go figure. If I ever hope to lose these faithful 50 pounds hanging off my backside, sugar has to stay gone! Tradition means a lot in our family, and so much of that is connected to food! It makes me sad to think about giving that up. I can definitely see myself eating well for the most part, with off road excursions for our holidays & family events (don't get me wrong, it's not all bad. But with 2 kids + 5 grandkids birthdays all crammed into the last third of the year + the usual fall/winter holidays, offloading may be too gentle a term!) then starting the new year with another W30 to get back on track. I guess we'll have to see. Emma I'd also be interested in how you handled reintro!

Well, I'm not the role model for good reintroductions!  I am pretty typically human, however, so I probably do what many people do.  I had good intentions and they went by the wayside.  :)  For the most part, we continue to eat exactly the same way at home, but go out to eat and when we go out, I avoid dairy and wheat based meals.  I generally get sushi or a Korean dish which has rice, some sugar, and soy sauce (Wheat based I know, but it's not pasta or bread).  It all sits decently well with me, though I notice the bloat from the salt.  And then, I start having a beer or two and then after a week or two, I have a burger...and then I have some fries.  But as long as we continue eating Whole30 at home, things go okay.  I know dairy doesn't sit well with me, regular pancakes make my head foggy, and I have no brakes when it comes to baked goods so at home we don't drink milk or eat cheese, we eat paleo pancakes, and I bake paleo treats.   Here and there, I'll try some cheese (and I'll LOVE it) but then I'll have more and then I'll notice how it impacts me.  Overall, things go okay, but I seem to start doing a slow slide back into my old ways and then sometimes, if I'm distracted by other things in life, that slow slide becomes a full blown avalanche.  So I stand up, wipe off the mud, and do another Whole30.  It's a little like "plus three, minus two, plus three, minus two".  I'm hoping that at some point when my gut heals, I'll be able to find that balance that some people seem to have so effortlessly.

Because my entire family has done Whole30 and some of our friends have, the get togethers aren't so bad.  There are main dishes that are meat and veggie based instead of lasagna and casserole based and there are salads and roasted veggies instead of potato salad and chips, but I still plan ahead and will bring along a sweet potato to eat instead of indulging on a loaf of freshly baked bread.

We have loads of birthdays coming up in August and September and I'm planning on doing a lot of baking which I enjoy doing.  I won't eat what the others eat though.  Instead, I'll bake some paleo cakes or cupcakes with paleo frosting and I'll eat those - sometimes I'll even make my kids' cakes paleo too.  The sweetness from a honey based paleo frosting on a chocolate almond flour cupcake totally hits the spot, makes me feel like I'm part of the festivities, is tasty to others who don't love the ultra sweet cakes, and allows me to eat well the next day without much effort.  (I made this recipe last month and really liked it:  http://souvlakiforthesoul.com/2013/03/hazelnut-meal-and-chocolate-cake  It looks fancy and is perfect for an adult cake.)

As for losing weight - oh, sigh - my last couple avalanches into junk foods let me puff right back up again - it's a long process getting weight off, but I think over time when you're eating clean, you start eating smaller portions, and you slowly lose weight (like a pound a week).  I, however, would like to get thirty five pounds off my short frame in the next five months - I kinda doubt I'll pull it off, but I'll get closer.  My plan is to continue the daily exercise, continue eating clean, and then post Whole30, to start looking at how many carbs I'm eating.  I love sweet potatoes and oil and salt and I don't really worry about portions on Whole30, but I'll start looking at ways I can eat more within the template.  

I know a lot of people will do a Whole10 or a Whole15 - something to clean up their act before the next party or vacation.  I know I'm going to fall off track and have some unhealthy eating days, but every day that I do eat well is a step forward so I try not to let a few bad days (or weeks) open the door to uninhibited gluttony.

I am on day 26, and thinking of keeping going for another round.

Don't think I have lost much at all, but am feeling better in myself. I used to have lits of gastric disturbances. But no more and I really don't miss that. I have just been thru a ton of stress and didn't get a migraine and my joints ache much less.

I want compliant pancakes tho. Why tell us about them, give us the recipe and then say no?

Making mushroom crusted pork tenderloin today. You grind porcini mushrooms with a tiny bit of garlic powder and red chili flakes mix with a couple teaspoons of coconut flour and roast.

Hope you all are doing well, ralph wants his brekkie

Hope you all have a lovely Friday

• 2 weeks later...

Well, IT'S OVER! My day 30 was last Thursday. And guess what? The reinto phase has me a little nervous. I'm not bringing everything back, but some things, yes. I imagine a lot of off-roading will occur over the rest of the year: 7 birthdays, plus all the holidays. Today is 1st Harvest and traditionally, I'd celebrate in part by baking a loaf of bread. Think that's not gonna happen this year! My plan is to stick with a Paleo framework as much as possible. I'm pretty sure I'll be back for another round come Jan 1st. But maybe it won't be too bad. I feel so much better overall than I did a month ago and I'm reluctant to do anything to mess that up. I made it through without a slip except for the 3 meal a day thing. I had to have an endoscopy & colonoscopy on day 28, so for two days my meals, if I had them, were just bone broth. And, bonus! I lost 9 pounds and a total of 14 1/2 inches!

Blessed be! I would wish for everyone the benefits I've enjoyed through this program! 

Hi Healthy, wow, I could have written that first post. I have almost all of the health concerns you do. I have had lifelong IBS and was just recently diagnosed with hashi's and celiac (which I believe I have had both for a long time, just never diagnosed). My gut was a mess. Cutting out the NASIDs is a good idea. Also, bone broth can help with gut healing. I make mine and use it in stews and other meals.

I might suggest doing the AI protocol after you do the W30. If you have hashi's and a lot of joint pain, you may benefit from it. For instance, when I did my first W30, I did the AI version (which is not recommended, but I had been eating very clean for awhile before that, so I thought I could handle it). Five days in, the chronic pain I had in my elbow just disappeared! I have concluded that it was eggs that were bothering me. I had been eating them almost every morning.

Michelle & Emma, thanks so much for the encouragement!  I was eyeballing the La Croix sparkling water at the store today. The infused water I was talking about is just that..fruit in water. Maybe the carbonation in the sparkling water would be a lift? Thanks for the tip!

If you have GERD, I would avoid carbonated beverages. I have my lifelong GERD under control and eliminating carbonated beverages made a huge difference.

Archived