JenX - Whole 30 Round 2

JenX

it is great! I didn't get the feeling last night at dinner, but I dished myself up slightly less food than I have been and didn't go back for more. I DID have it again this morning and left probably 3 bites on my plate. 

And had no desire to snack at all (finally) last night! My period really played mind-games with me this month - 2 weeks of PMS is 1.5 weeks too many! needing more food in general, and still wanting to snack, sleeping not as good as I know I can, bloating, not feeling any differences in my body during this Whole 30 - AAAHHHRRRGGGG! Now that it finally started and has just about wrapped up things are back to normal. Bloat is going away (slowly), pants are fitting (slightly) better, no munchies, and really excellent sleep last night. Ahhh.  Sadly there is only one week + one day left of this whole 30. I'm not holding my breath for any scale victories this time, and I'm okay with that.  I know it'll come eventually. I'm happy just maintaining until I can get running again. Honestly, other than my planned outings (and I plan on eating mostly Paleo during those) I will probably stick to template meals and stay compliant anyway post day 30. Just keep on keepin' on, as they say. I guess I should figure out specific foods I want to re-introduce this time around. I'll work on that this week.

Day 22 (wahoo!)

M1 3 eggs scrambled in 1/2 thumb clarified butter, 1.5 c sautéed kale/onion/mushrooms, 3 small tomatoes, 1/2 avocado, 2 cups black coffee

pre-WO - 1 hb egg

workout - 15 elliptical (yay!) 10'ish on the bike. Ankle/ft pt, core.

M2 Chicken salad (1 palm chicken breast, diced veggies, mayo, mustard, hot sauce 4 olives) on Romaine/spinach mix w/ cucumbers.

M3 turkey burgers on eggplant "buns", roasted potato, coleslaw w/ homemade mayo & green apple

H20 Intake 90

bm: 3, 2-  - still not great. I took it a lot easier on the  broc & cauliflower yesterday so am thinking it's having beef for breakfast that's messing me up. No beef today. See if it helps.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Day 23

M1 3 eggs omelet in 1/2 thumb clarified butter, with 2/3 c sautéed kale/onion/mushrooms, 1 cup brussel sprouts, 2 slices prosciutto, 1/2 avocado, 2 cups black coffee.

M2 BAS w/ turkey taco meat.

M3  pot roast (almost 2 palms), pot roast veg (potato, carrot, mushroom, onion) + roasted carrot/cauliflower, green olives

H20 Intake 90, kombucha, assorted cups of tea

bm: 3, 2

I'm tired and cranky today. No reason I can think of, except my friend is leaving today on what to me is my dream trip, and I can't go. I'm sure that has something to do with my mood. I'm trying to be happy for her, she's very excited, but I hate that I can't do it due to finances and injury both. Oh well...it is what it is. I chose not to go further in debt just for 2 weeks of diving and seeing the sights in Egypt. That's on me. Made that choice and now I will live with it and get over it. And if I had put money down on that trip and then couldn't dive (cant fin with my foot) I'd be out that part of the money so it's just as well.

I got outside for some errands and much needed sunshine. Mood is getting better and I'm feeling less tired. I decided to take today off from the gym - don't want to overstress my foot so figured 2 days in a row (even if super light) may not be the best idea.  I'm looking forward to getting out this weekend and walking.

Okay, much better mindset this morning. I went to bed early, slept well, and was up with the sunrise at 5:30. I am finally feeling a bit slimmer this morning too - all the bloat seems to be gone FINALLY. There's a chance I will lose some inches/lbs after all.

Day 24

M1 3 egg scramble with kale and bacon (1+ cup precooked kale, 1 strip of bacon), 1/2 avocado, 2 cups black coffee.

pre-WO - 1 hb egg

workout - 30 min elliptical (15 elliptical, 15 on AMT) + 10 minutes walking @ 3.2 average on L2, ankle/ft PT. My ankle is T.I.R.E.D. Foot feels good though. No pain, no ache, no swellings. and no need to ice.

M2 Chicken salad (1 palm chicken breast, diced veggies, mayo, mustard, hot sauce 4 olives) on Romaine w/ cucumbers.

M3 Kahlua pig, coleslaw w/ homemade mayo & green apple, Cauli-tater mash

H20 Intake 90

[bm] 3+, 3] slightly better.

okay, as I increase my workouts (intensity and time) I MUST remember my post-workout snack. I've been just eating my M2, and forgetting to bring a carby-veg to go with, but I'm paying for it today. craving for simple carbs. Not horrible but they are there.  Had a small handful of almonds b/c that's what I could find. That and some Good Earth tea as it give the illusion of sweetness from the cinnamon.

my ankle is toast - it's so tired!

Okay, my lower calves/solius are super tight this morning! Guess jumping into a full 30 on elliptical was a bit much. Then again, it's sort of nice to be sore again.

Day 25

M1- 3 scrambled eggs w kale and bacon, 1/2 avocado

M2- taco salad

Mini-meal chicken leg & wing + coleslaw &HB egg ( I was starving for some reason.

M3- roast chicken, Baked yam, coleslaw

Water- 85 +Kombucha

BM 3

Off to the store shortly. Time to replenish the house. I have tea brewing for adding to the CB Kombucha and got the kitchen clean. Sort of in the mood to cook today so looking up new recipes before I head out.

Ate all the pumpkin seeds in the house last night. It seems it was a hungry day. Paying for it with some IbS-D today too, but mentally I'm good. It didn't feel binge-y. I was hungry. I probably should have stopped sooner once no longer hungry and satisfied but that's okay.

Day 26

M1- 3 scrambled eggs on sautéed onion, mushroom, rbp, kale with mayo-avocado cilantro dressing.

M2- BAS with taco meat. Same dressing, black olives and 2/3rds of a peach. (The rest went into Kombucha door 2f)

M3 chicken breast, 1/2 baked potato w/ ghee, roasted broccoli

Water - 75oz, Kombucha, la Croix. 2 cups decaf with coconut milk (one before dinner, one after)

Bm- 3, 1 :( knew that would happen. Seeds are not my friend.

Took the dog to SM and got in a good walk. 45-ish minutes maybe?

Day 27

M1- 3 fried eggs on 2 hashbrown patties, sautéed onion, mushroom, rbp, kale

workout - 30 on AMT, 20 walking at 3.5 average on elevation 3.

M2- BAS with RBP, green onion, radish, cucumber, vinaigrette, 7 kalamata olives, Kahlua pig (1 palm) 1/2 baked yam

M3 turkey burgers, cole slaw w mayo

Water - 75oz, Kombucha, la Croix.

Bm- 4, 3+ GI issues from the seeds seem to have resolved.

So, I have until Friday to work on my reintroduction plan.

I did mine and posted it in the July 1 thread, but want to post it here too. Plus I printed a copy for home.

JenX's reintroduction schedule (drum roll please...!!):

Day 1: Evaluate legumes (pb in the morning, beans on my salad at lunch, soy sauce/miso at dinner)

Days 2, 3 and 4 eat 100% compliant (I figure it may take me that long to get over legumes anyway... plus it gets me through the danger that is the weekend)

Day 5: Evaluate (non-grain) alcohol (@ happy hour) - hello..WINE. 'nuf said

Day 6 & 7 eat 100% compliant

Day 8: Evaluate non-gluten grains (rice, corn, quinoa would be the things I choose. or drop quinoa and do white & brn rice & corn)

Day 9 & 10: eat 100% compliant

Day 11: Evaluate Dairy (yogurt, butter, cheese - I don't do milk anyway)

Day 12 & 13 eat 100% compliant

Day 14: evaluate gluten grains (toast from work so I don't have to bring bread in the house, regular beer, ww pasta)

That takes me to 8/13, and my trip to Napa & Sonoma is on 8/21 so I will eat 100% compliant up to that point, knowing I am going to off-road somewhat up north. And now I'll be going in knowing what will affect me, and how it will affect me so I can make proper choices and really enjoy my weekend.

That looks like a plan!  I have a happy hour this Friday. I don't know if I really need to do anything for alcohol though for reintroduction. I don't really drink that much (maybe a glass or two of wine every couple of weeks). So I seriously considering doing Dairy along with a glass of wine that first day. I haven't decided yet. I don't think it will make a difference.  Or, I could just do them separate!  LOL!  I don't really eat beans (any type of beans), so the legumes is probably going to be last for me.  I can try some peanut butter and soy something or another. 

I'd say, do them separate. At your happy hour, if you'd rather do dairy, do that and skip the alcohol.  I know my first time around it was interesting to note how I felt the next morning after just one glass of wine.  My energy slumped, I had a dry mouth, and I was craving "just a little sugar" in my coffee when normally I drink it black.   After 30 days you may really notice a difference, even if alcohol was relatively rare for you before, just because you get so used to feeling great by day 30.

I'm that way too. :D

last time around I did what I would call a slow-roll, but it kept picking up speed. and I didn't separate everything out diligently (or give myself enough time between testing things). 3 weeks in  I was back to some bad habits and I'm sure that was why, at least in part. I want this time to be different.

So I killed myself at the gym, but this time I remembered to add 1/2 a yam to my lunch. All the difference in the world. I am sated - no cravings, feel great energy wise. of course, I forgot my pre-workout egg today so grabbed a tbsp. of almond butter. tomorrow I hope to get my sh*t together and bring everything I need.

I did mine and posted it in the July 1 thread, but want to post it here too. Plus I printed a copy for home.

JenX's reintroduction schedule (drum roll please...!!):

Day 1: Evaluate legumes (pb in the morning, beans on my salad at lunch, soy sauce/miso at dinner)

Days 2, 3 and 4 eat 100% compliant (I figure it may take me that long to get over legumes anyway... plus it gets me through the danger that is the weekend)

Day 8: Evaluate non-gluten grains (rice, corn, quinoa would be the things I choose. or drop quinoa and do white & brn rice & corn)

Day 11: Evaluate Dairy (yogurt, butter, cheese - I don't do milk anyway)

Day 12 & 13 eat 100% compliant

Day 14: evaluate gluten grains (toast from work so I don't have to bring bread in the house, regular beer, ww pasta)

That takes me to 8/13, and my trip to Napa & Sonoma is on 8/21 so I will eat 100% compliant up to that point, knowing I am going to off-road somewhat up north. And now I'll be going in knowing what will affect me, and how it will affect me so I can make proper choices and really enjoy my weekend.

Love your plan! So intricate and well thought out. I'm a planner, so I adore it!!

Day 28 (really? already??)

I am having to fight my short-timers voice a bit. It keeps wanting little rewards just a couple of days early... like to peek at the scale, or measure my hips... or just a touch of creamer in my coffee.  Nope, nope and nope. Not until day 31, and no creamer period. I don't even really like that stuff so why do I want it? Makes no sense to me.  Anyway...

Yesterday I had those potato hash browns as part of breakfast, and 1/2 a yam after workout, and no carbs at dinner. Overall yesterday I noticed I had an elevated mood, more energy (more stable energy) and generally felt really satisfied with each of my meals.  So, I repeated with more potato this morning to see if that was the reason or if I was just in a good mood.

M1 Shredded potato, onion, mushroom, & kale sautee. 3 eggs scrambled in clarified butter, 1/2 a grapefruit

M2 - 2 chicken legs baked, skin on, + apple/cabbage coleslaw, handful of almonds

WO - 25 min AMT, 20 min walking 3.5mph on level 2.

no post WO snack - I have acid reflux from working out that close to having lunch and/ or from having nuts. blech. Going to go home and have kombucha to settle my stomach while I roast Bsprouts.

M3 - baked chicken thigh/leg, brussel sprouts, mayo, 1/2 baked potato

H20 Intake 90 Kombucha LaCroix

bm: 4, 3 (bit of cramping as I was headed out the door to walk the dog. Probably from the massive amounts of cabbage in the coleslaw I ate. No IBS-D though so all is good)

just back from the podiatrist. one more week to 8 week exray. I get to continue walking and increase distance/duration, plus keep up elliptical.  He said no running until week 12 so the bone has time to fully remodel. sigh. I had a feeling that may be the case. it's okay. I'll survive. And this way I don't have to run during the hot part of the summer. 

anyway, got up too early today, so had meal 1 too early, so have already eaten Meal 2. New plan is to work out around 3 or 3:30 (thankfully boss is in EU timezone). After that I'll eat post-WO of the 3rd chicken leg and the 1/2 yam I brought. This way I won't be starving to death by the time I get around to meal 3 at 7'ish. whew! glad it will all  work out :)

Day 29

M1 Shredded potato (1/4), onion, mushroom, & kale sautee. 3 eggs scrambled in clarified butter, 1/2 an avocado. Couldn't quite finish breakfast this morning. weird b/c I was starving when I woke up and hungry when I started eating, but 1/2 way through I was done. Made myself eat most of it. Maybe I should have packed it up and had it later?

M2 - 1 palm of chicken chicken salad (w/ green onion, radish, bell pepper, celery, cilantro, blk olives, mayo, mustard), sliced cucumbers

M3 - Kahlua pig, plantains brussel sprouts,

H20 Intake 90 Kombucha LaCroix

bm: 4, 2+

I'm not going to workout today. I feel my foot needs a break - it seems a bit tender. I'll try to take the dog out for a short walk later, before dinner. Feeling good today, but sleepy. I stayed up a bit later than  normal, and slept really hard - my alarm had to wake me up which hardly EVER happens. I so prefer to wake up naturally.

Jess gave me some wonderful-smelling French cheese. I can't wait to try it!  I'll have to though - I already announced to my traveling companions that I'll bring it with us to Napa/Sonoma so I won't be tempted to eat it now.  Score one for me! :D

DAY 30!!!!

The day started out with weird dreams about me (1) weighing in, and (2) eating non-compliant foods on day 30 because I misunderstood the rules that I had to get through 30 full days.  not that I really misunderstand the rules mind you.  The subconscious is a very weird place sometimes... :wacko:  I also spend most of the evening last night fighting with myself. My id wants a reward on day 31. It wants wine or beer or both, because, hey, I did really good and did this thing whole-heartedly for 30 days "I deserve it". No. I am not going to reward myself like that. Why go immediately back to the old patterns of Friday being my reward day (usually celebrated with frozen pizza, too much wine and sometimes dessert). Setting myself up for a "what the hell" weekend of overindulgence.  I had to give myself a stern talking to the rest of the evening, and then I think those dreams were my way of cementing it in my head. This morning I no longer want to reward myself tomorrow evening. I will continue with my reintroduction plan. One minor modification though - I'm going to test soy separate from the other legumes and will be doing it first. I'm also dropping PB as that is often FWOB for me, and last time I had a handful of peanuts I got an ocular migraine 20 minutes later.

Day 1: Evaluate soy legumes (soy milk latte, miso soup w /lunch, tofu& shrimp stirfry w/ soy sauce)

Day8: evaluate legumes (baked beans (if I can find one not swimming in sugars), black beans, hummus)

Day 11: Evaluate non-gluten grains (rice, corn, quinoa would be the things I choose. or drop quinoa and do white & brn rice & corn)

Day 12 & 13: eat 100% compliant

Day 14: Evaluate Dairy (yogurt, butter, cheese - I don't do milk anyway)

Day 15 & 16 eat 100% compliant

Day 17: evaluate gluten grains (toast from work so I don't have to bring bread in the house, regular beer, ww pasta)

Day 18, 19, 20 - 100% compliant

Day 21 - leave for Sonoma [compliant breakfast & lunch, dinner out]

okay, so there. that's the plan and I'm sticking to it. There are no decisions to make - above are the new rules, just like the Whole 30 rules. Rules for me to follow = happiness. <3

M1- So, for today, no more eggs. Gagged at the thought. instead it was 1/2 a yam, sliced and sautéed in schmaltz, with the meat from 2 chicken legs and some leftover breakfast veg from the last 2 days. Delicious!

M2 - 1 palm of chicken chicken salad (w/ green onion, radish, bell pepper, celery, cilantro, blk olives, mayo, mustard), sliced cucumbers

M3 - turkey burgers & coleslaw

H20 Intake 80 Kombucha LaCroix

bm: 4  (wait a minutes... no nuts yesterday meant a perfect bm this morning (and only 1). hurrah!! it may be that slight bump in the carbs is helping too. whatever, I'll take it!

Exercise is still undetermined today. I will probably go to the gym to kill time if nothing else, and I do have pre- & post WO food here if I need it.  30 minutes on the elliptical + 30 minutes on the AMT plus a 10 minute walk to cool down. I had a chicken leg before, and added 1/2 a yam to my lunch for after. I'm sort of wishing my lunch was bigger today as I got super hungry toward the end of the workout, but I'm eating slowly and trying to savor it.

WOOT WOOT! We made it! I am super excited!  I am with you on the thoughts swirling around in my head. I will be compliant tomorrow, and then Saturday I am adding in dairy.  I don't really do milk either, but for some reason I really want some soft serve ice cream!  LOL!

WOOT WOOT! We made it! I am super excited!  I am with you on the thoughts swirling around in my head. I will be compliant tomorrow, and then Saturday I am adding in dairy.  I don't really do milk either, but for some reason I really want some soft serve ice cream!  LOL!

Enjoy it! did you see the flowchart on when to indulge in something? I love that thing. I'm going to carry it around with me. :)  http://whole30.com/downloads/off-roading.pdf

Archived