Help! I may be about to cheat but with all compliant foods

christie5hs

Hello all! This is my first time posting and its because I'm desperate! This is day 17 and I am dying. I will not make it the rest of the way if I don't allow myself something I like. I am allergic to many things and 1 of them is eggs so I don't have a nice quick easy "go to" protein when feeling faint (which is much of the time). I am definitely not eating enough and I am gagging down much of what I am eating. I ate quite healthy before whole30 but with rice, quinoa and legumes. I seem to need those foods to add enough calories, but that is not what I want to eat now. I used to make this dip to eat with green apples that is almond butter, almond milk, cocoa powder and dates. While I know that they don't want us mixing dates with cocoa to make a treat, it is protein and filling. I would like to have it to eat for lunches which are my most awful meal. I won't eat it everyday either and my mindset has already changed as far as snacks are concerned, but I really want to make it through 30 days and I am eating a lot of fruit and nuts to stay alive haha. I can tell I have lost weight but think i would have lost even more if my body weren't in starvation mode.

Any help/advice/permission is appreciated.

Terri

Sorry, that's not protein on a Whole30. It's fruit, cocoa and fat (nuts are a fat on a Whole30).  What you describe is SWYPO and against the rules.

We advise limiting nuts on a Whole30 also - explore different fat options.

I encourage you to use the Whole30 to retrain your body to eat in a new way.  Lots of protein options are available for you. Try different textures that don't invoke the gag response for you.

Use the meal template to design a protein-vegetables-fat lunch to give you optimal results.

• Moderators

Instead of fruits and nuts, you'd really be better off eating protein, fat, and vegetables. If you're feeling faint much of the time, there's a really good chance you're not eating enough food. 

Nuts and nut butters are not truly proteins. They have some protein, but they're really a fat source. 

If you list what you've been eating, along with approximate amounts, we can help you tweak your meals to ensure you get enough food.

In general, though, make sure that at each meal, you eat 1-2 palm sized portions of protein, 1-2 thumb-sized portions of fat (or a heaping handful or two of olives or coconut flakes, or a closed handful or two of nuts, or 1/2 to a whole avocado), and 1-3 cups of vegetables. At least once a day, include a starchy vegetable like sweet potato or potato or winter squash. Occasionally have some fruit if you want, but don't make it the focus of your meals. If you work out, be sure you get in your pre- and post-workout meals. All of this is explained in the meal template.

Not being able to have eggs is not a deal breaker. Cook extra protein when you cook your meals, so you have extra in the fridge.

And I've just seen you're planning on quitting. That's too bad, when it's probably a pretty easy fix to help you feel better and stay on plan.

Thank you, Shannon. I appreciate your help. I will try to stick it out. I am just very dizzy and weak. I have eaten well I think for the first 16 days, but I hate it. I eat a lot of the same veggies. I think part of the problem is that I had the flu for a week and had NO energy to cook anything new so we kept eating the same thing for days. I am better now and happy I stayed on it while sick. I will work on the meal template and tweak it a little more. 

• Moderators

salad dressing counts as a fat, right? So I should be getting enough.

Salad dressing, as long as it has oil or mayo in it, is a fat.

Don't be afraid to add more fat, though -- add some avocado or olives to your salad as well as the dressing. Really, it's very unlikely you'll overeat on fat in the form of oil, avocado, or olives.  

Yes Salad Dressing IS fat.

But if that is only during one meal - then no you are not getting enough fat.  And besides your salads will need to be huge. (Think large mixing bowl size) in order to get enough into you.

Get a sweet potato.  Cut it in half.  place cut side down, sprinkle some water on it and put it in the microwave on high for 5 - 6 minutes.  Take it out add some salt, pepper, cinnamon, and coconut oil and enjoy.

Get some chicken thighs.  Sprinkle, salt, pepper, garlic powder and onion powder on both sides (or whatever spices you like) and put them in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes. 

While you're figuring out proteins that work for you, you might try upping your starchy carbs as well, which will help with the dizzy and weak feelings. Shannon suggests at least once a day above, but you might even try a serving of starchy vegetable with each meal. I was eating a lot of beans, rice, quinoa, and corn before my first Whole30, and swapping beets, sweet potatoes, and butternut squash for those carbs made a big difference for me.

Don't underestimate the importance of adding salt to your template meals. Your sodium consumption dramatically decreases when switching to a whole food based diet and you truly NEED to supplement with extra salt. Feeling dizzy or faint is frequent symptom related to blood pressure and decreases in sodium can lead to a decrease in your blood pressure. Use your taste buds as your guide and season to taste. Some days this will mean a little salt, and some days it will mean a lot depending on what your body needs that day.

You should never have to gag down food, but I would strongly discourage the dip that you're describing. Yes, the ingredients are compliant, but the combination of those foods screams "Sugar Dragon Reward Center." Try plain almond butter with your apple slices (or even jazz it up with some cinnamon) and make sure that you're having the fruit as part of a template meal.

What is the limit? The picture shown on the meal template print out? Per day?

A serving is a closed handful, but I wouldn't recommend any kind of nut on a daily basis as they can be very hard on the digestive system, they are less satiating than other fat sources, and they're just not the best fat available.

I'd recommend fattier cuts of meat, compliant bacon, lard, tallow, schmaltz, olives, avocados etc over and above nuts any day of the week. Plus they can be a FWOB for a lot of people.

What is the limit? The picture shown on the meal template print out? Per day?

The program rules don't come with an explicit upper limit on nut consumption. My own two cents on the subject is to start thinking about nuts as a condiment and use them to add a little flavor and crunch to a meal which uses one of the other fat sources like what jmcbn mentioned above, ghee, or coconut (oil or flake).

Thank you so much everyone! I did not give up! I also did not make the dip :). I can make it to the end! I was just in a really bad way most of the day. I think the fact that I had just had the flu for a week didn't help and once I felt like I wanted food again, I was ravenous! I had a good a supper and you guys gave me great suggestions that I will start implementing tomorrow.

Thanks to you all!

If you have been sick, have you tried bone broth/soups? One of my go-to dishes in the past is to make a huge batch of broth to have either to drink, or to make a soup with. It is an easy google search to find a multitude of soups with broth, veggies, coconut milk and/or meat. 

Christie - what are your food allergies and what foods were you eating up until that day that were making you "gag"? If we know what you need to avoid, we can potentially make some more specific suggestions other than just macros.

Through, without knowing, right off the bat I'd suggest carrying 1-2 EPIC bars in your purse as emergency protein, and a really easy/delicious protein for when you don't feel like cooking anything elaborate are fully-cooked sausages... there are several compliant varieties by brands like Aidell's, Applegate, Bilinski's, and The Original Brat Hans, and 2 sausages heat up in the microwave in 90 seconds or less. I also used Pacific brand's "Simply Stock" organic chicken stock for the first time yesterday -- they come in individual single-serve cartons; so cute! -- and I was surprised to see that just within the 20 calories of stock, there were 4 whole grams of protein. Say what?! Or, if you can afford it, treat yourself to a "luxury" meat item once a week, like a small pack of smoked salmon (bonus: topped with chives and a schmear of coconut cream) or prosciutto (bonus: paired with your melon of choice). It's nice to feel decadent every once in a while!

I can be a picky eater but I refuse to eat a food more than once if it, or the way it was prepared, is revolting to me! This should be an exciting time of food and flavor discovery... or at least, that's what it has been for me... you shouldn't feel like you're being subjected to cruel and unusual punishment.

• 3 weeks later...

Are you sure you're allergic to all eggs??? The reason I ask is if I have generic regular eggs, I'm hating life for 20 minutes, almost throwing up, tearing up, sneezing etc...

If I eat Organic brown eggs, I have zero problems...

Archived