Hashimoto's and food sensitivity

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's last fall and have been on a small dose of Levothyroxine ever since. In addition to seeing my Endocrinologist (who I like, but falls into the typical 'functional medicine' beliefs that food doesn't make a difference), I have also been seeing a Naturopath. She ordered a food sensitivity panel in March and I am highly sensitive to eggs, dairy (whey) and citrus. This doesn't come as much of a shock, since I used to eat eggs for breakfast every single day and consumed more than enough yogurt, butter etc. I have since been off those foods...and it seems to have helped my blood levels. I am, however, getting bored of smoothies for breakfast and having to substitute for these items. Any suggestions on egg-free menus, particularly breakfasts? Thanks!

• Moderators

We recommend that you start thinking of your meals as meal 1, meal 2, meal 3 and start eating anything you like at meal 1. I have prepared scallops and zucchini noodles for breakfast because that is what I wanted. 

Use google to search Whole30 egg-free breakfasts. This has been discussed a lot on the forum already.

Whatever you do, stop eating smoothies. Liquid food digests faster than whole foods, so drinking smoothies messes up your satiety signals. 

By the way, functional medicine practitioners are the ones who believe food is important. It is the conventional doctors who tend to dismiss the importance of food. 

I've been dealing with the same issue!  I'm glad you figured out your food sensitivities while trying to find your way to healing with Hashimoto's.  I've completed my first Whole 30 and due to my amazing response with my Hashimoto's (improved antibodies, lowered cortisol and regulated TSH) I'm staying on it. 

For meals it's been helpful for me to remove the labels we make for food... such as "breakfast" food.  I've made asparagus, potatoes, and various types of meats a staple for breakfast.  Even when we are out of eggs, I tend to just load up on meat and some kind of veggies.  There are amazing recipes out there!  Pinterest is huge for me to meal plan.  But thinking differently about the food really does help, I often get stuck in thinking that I HAVE to have certain foods at certain times.  But now that I'm eating for my body, it's a game changer! 

Also, if you haven't explored this already with your naturopath, read up on gluten free and Hashimoto's.  It's amazing how gluten free and dairy trigger an autoimmune response in people with Hashimoto's! 

Archived