Law Enforcement

I have 2 issues that I need help with. First, I got through the first couple of days just fine but hit that horrible hangover feeling on day 3. I can't be tired and unfocused. I cover over 1500 square miles without a partner and can't afford to be anything less than sharp. Any suggestions as to what I can eat or take to get around this? Also I am part of an emergency response team. We get called out at moments notice. In fact we have a week long training coming up nobody knows where, what we're doing or where we'll be sleeping. How do I work around that?

you pack your own food.. Cold chicken, hard boiled eggs,, room temp roasted veggies.. etc..   What were you eating before (to say sharp?) 

Cold sliced steak is good.. Mayo for dipping.. mmmmmmm   

To get rid of that hangover feeling be sure to add at least a fist sized portion of starchy veg to your meals per day, as will as increasing fat. The starchy veg will help in the transition from your old diet to the new, and both the veg & the fat will help with energy levels. Also make sure you are drinking at least a 1/2 an ounce of water per pound of body weight.

That said are you sure you are eating enough?

If you'd like to post what you've eaten over the past few days we can troubleshoot for you...

Also, the hangover tends to lift fairly quickly so don't lose faith!

Generally we would make our own energy balls out of peanut butter, oatmeal, dark chocolate and chia seeds. Normal days are lean meat, vegetables, and a whole grain with various snacks in between if necessary. When we are on a task, however, refrigeration may or may not be available and we carry go bags full of medical equipment. It is often the commander who rallies food supplies, as we get called out at a moments notice and are expected to be ready to deploy immediately

Generally we would make our own energy balls out of peanut butter, oatmeal, dark chocolate and chia seeds. Normal days are lean meat, vegetables, and a whole grain with various snacks in between if necessary. When we are on a task, however, refrigeration may or may not be available and we carry go bags full of medical equipment. It is often the commander who rallies food supplies, as we get called out at a moments notice and are expected to be ready to deploy immediately

I think this would require a one-on-one conversation with the commander in this case. Protein and vegetables are pretty easy but only if the person getting food together knows the goal is protein and vegetables and is on-board with the idea. If the commander isn't on board, you will need to pack your own "go bag of food" and be aware the food supplied for you might not be useful. Depending on how long the bag might sit before you need it, you could put things like packets of almond butter or coconut butter, sturdy fruit (apples or maybe bananas?), jerky or epic bars, smoked chicken, canned fish (tuna, salmon, sardines). Vegetables are most challenging. I take raw bell peppers and steamed cold broccoli with me everywhere, but it doesn't stay good out of the fridge more than a day. Cherry tomatoes can go maybe 2-3 days without refrigeration, though. Maybe prep the veggies and some hard boiled eggs and grab them out of the fridge right at the last minute? If you do that you could include cold roasted potato or sweet potato as well. Although we don't generally recommend snacking on nuts or dried fruit, this is one case where it might make sense to include that as one option. If your work is really strenuous, you might enjoy having one or two of those tetra paks of coconut water in your bag as well.

Archived