Snack while playing golf

chrisd

Hi

I have just started my first Whole30 and day 2 has been ok.

I play golf every Saturday and usually have a snack of 2 bananas and some nuts and raisins. Is this still ok or should I try to eat a bigger breakfast? I am out from 8am until between 2 to 3pm.

If you think I should have a snack but the above isn't suitable would you have any better ideas?

I apologise as this isn't actually athletics but couldn't see where else to post it.

Thanks.

• Moderators

I find it easy to go 6-7 hours before another meal, but I have been eating Whole30-style for a long time. Eating more at breakfast might help, but your body has to be well adjusted to burning fat for you to go so long before eating again. You will probably need something.

Bananas, nuts, and raisins are mostly just adding some bulk to your stomach and not offering serious nutrition. You need some real protein. You could use beef jerky or one of the Whole30-approved protein bars. I am notorious for taking cans of tuna and a can opener around with me as my snack. You could even take a baked sweet potato with you and eat that. Sweet potato would not spoil in the heat for a few hours. 

Maybe some actual golfers will have some ideas...

Any jerky I've seen in the bigger supermarkets has off plan ingredients so I'd say Amazon would be your best bet.... Or if there's a Polish Food Store in your area you *might* be lucky enough to find some compliant single serving size smoked sausage in there.

I'm a fan of tinned fish myself and with the mackerel & sardines you don;t even need a tin opener  ;)

• Administrators

I would just use a cooked chicken thigh or hard boiled egg.  Maybe in one of those tiny soft sided coolers crammed down into the bottom of your golf bag? Should stay reasonably cold?

Protein on its own is a far better bet than fruit or nuts on their own.  You could always do chicken thigh/boiled egg/cold steak etc and a little baggie of snow peas or the like?

Archived