Jenny Brown Whole30 Log_Started July 1st

Jenny B

Well, just found this nifty little forum!  I started yesterday.   #JulyWhole30  I am feeling pretty sluggish today. Really just want to go to sleep. I am sure this is the lack of caffeine and sugar in my system.  I basically looked up Whole30 on Saturday (bought It Starts With Food, and then the Whole30).  So, read It Starts With Food pretty fast, and decided to give it a go.  I went a bought a few things I would need till the weekend.  I will be meal planning tonight and tomorrow for next week and will hopefully have it a little more together.  My main thing I am giving up is coke (I had 1 or 2 a day).  I like to cook, so the cooking portion shouldn't be too difficult. However, to be honest lately I have been eating out a lot. Just poor laziness on my part, so this will kick me in the butt.  I have been talking about this with my Mom in detail and she has decided to start tomorrow!  YIPPEE!  I think it will help a lot of her medical issues.  My husband eats what I cook, but is not doing the Whole30.  He will do it at dinner, since that is the only mean we have together!  Ha!  Ready to have some energy, and know that will come. 

Meals so far

July 1st:

Meal 1:  2 eggs, and tomatoes

Meal 2: Leftover Filet, and a salad with baby spinach/mixed greens, tomatoes, sweet peppers, cucumbers.  watermelon. Oil/Vinegars as dressing

Meal 3: Beef Stew (Grass Fed Beef Stew, Carrots, Pearl Onions, Celery, Red Potatoes, and water/broth)

July 2nd:

Meal 1: 3 eggs, onions, jalapenos, peppers, potatoes, strawberries

Meal 2: Leftover Beef Stew, oranges

Meal 3: Pork Tenderloin, Cabbage cooked with some bacon fat, and tomatoes

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Jenny,

I, too, having been eating out way too much even though I enjoy cooking. Yesterday, I tried the Bone Broth recipe in Whole30 and just let the crockpot simmer for 24 hours which worked out great. There was so much meat on the bones that I had a bowl of Beef Soup for lunch before doing the straining and chilling. I'm thinking this might be a good "snack" between meals.

I'm used to grazing so three meals per day is going to be rough. I would snack between meals and then have no appetite for the next meal- and, on and on into a bad cycle. Even yesterday, I was hungry so had a Larabar with a handful of raw pecans between lunch and supper. It worked, but today I tried to eat more for lunch so that wouldn't happen again. We'll see and, of course, there's always the Bone Broth!

Still feeling anxious, hopeful and excited ✌

Hi Newbie!  I will be making some chicken broth over the weekend when I roast a chicken for dinner.  I am really trying not to graze or snack between meals. So far so good!  Hopefully, you will be able to figure out your portions, so you will not have to snack!  Bone Broth is a great idea for the "snack".  Maybe that will fill you up.  I am really tired today (as well as yesterday).  Still have a slight headache, but still motivated. I am going to a local farmers market tomorrow morning that sells grass fed beef, etc.  Local Yocal in McKinney, TX. They have a lot of food that is compliant.  Found compliant bacon at Sprouts yesterday!  WOO HOO!  They didn't have it at my Whole Foods.  So, now I can either get it at Sprouts or the farmers market.  I saved the cooking fat, so I can cook with it later.  I hope you are having a great day!  So far so good for me!

Morning! Made it through Day Two without issues, although did have a few strawberries and pecans for a mid-afternoon snack. I think this is OK because we tend to eat a later supper (around 7pm), so may try to move lunch back or just keep the afternoon snack On Plan. Woke up today super tired and that was after sleeping for over 9 hours, and am very achey all over. I was glad to read in the Daily Newsletter that this is normal as one's body switches over from burning sugar to burning fat. I'm going to a Holiday party later, so it will be hard not having any appetizers or cocktails- but, I'll be fine. Hope your day is wonderful!

You can do it!  Hopefully there will be plenty of fruit and just have a burger patty! Have fun!

I have a slight headache today, but not near as bad as yesterday.  I am hoping for feeling better tomorrow (a girl can dream)!

I am going to start planning my menu for next week so I am prepared.  I have things for the 4th. My mom decided to do this starting today, so we are going over there tomorrow. Grass fed burger patties, slaw mix, tomatoes/cucumbers, and some roasted potatoes with onions. 

Today:

Meal#1: 3 scrambled eggs, 1 piece of compliant bacon, and onions cooked in bacon fat.  Strawberries

Meal#2: Chopped Salad: Spinach, Spring Mix, Romaine, Tomatoes, Cucumbers, Sweet Peppers, 1/2 Egg with Whole30 Italian Vinaigrette.  Pork tenderloin. Watermelon

Meal#3: Taco Salad: Lean Ground Beef (leftover in the freezer so using it) cooked in bacon fat, Homemade Pico, Homemade Salsa, Lettuce.  

Well July 4th was something.  4th day on Whole30!  I was so tired and so cranky!  Went out to find some food for the week and was checking different stores not even thinking everyone and their families were out for July 4th.  So that definitely tried my patience!  Ended up having to eat out for lunch and stayed compliant. Was at Market Street (grocery store) and they have a salad bar.  Had mixed greens, cucumber, peppers, tomatoes and egg.  I didn't go for the grilled chicken since I have no idea how they cook it. Had Balsamic Vinegar out of a bottle.  And asked about the strawberries/blackberries to make sure no added sugar was in them!  Went to my parents for dinner, and my Dad fixed a jalapeno sausage that I love!  I didn't eat any!  I had a burger with sauteed onions on top, pickle, tomatoes, cucumbers and I baked some potatoes.   :) All in all a good day, but super tired.  Todays' meal plan 7/5:

Meal#1: 3 scrambled eggs, 1 piece of compliant bacon, and onions cooked in bacon fat.  Strawberries

Meal#2: Mexican Soup: Chicken thigns, tomatoes, onions, carrots, celery, cilantro, lime juice, cumin, chili powder

Meal#3: Pork Green Chili: Pork tenderloin cooked in bacon fat, onions, and green chilis (soooo good)

Also, not that if anyone is reading this wants to know this but..... I have used the bathroom every day!  That is huge for me!  I am usually way constipated and can go 4-5 days. This in itself is amazing!

Good morning!  Well yesterday was a pretty good day. I definitely had more energy than I did on day 4.  I am tired this morning, but I didn't sleep good so that is probably why.  Yesterday I was going to have pork green chili for dinner.  Well something my husband said the day before made me check the pork tenderloin package as he was cooking dinner (he makes the pork green chili, I help prep). Anyway, lo and behold - DEXTROSE!!!!  Can you believe it?  Well, then my husband was saying it can't be that much just eat it.  I was said nope not on plan (even though I was angry that I could not eat dinner I just prepped for).  He then said it was a stupid diet.  I said well I feel better and it is 30 days, so by body by plan.  LOL!  He got to eat pork green chili and I got to eat leftover beef with a salad.  Glad I checked before, but definitely will be looking at labels more closely for pork!  So my prep to have some leftovers for the week went by the wayside, so now I need to cook some more!  Side note - he told me to go by some pork I can eat and he would make me another batch. :)  

Phew, feel so much better on Day 7!  Finally made it through the yucky, tired, I am going to kill everything stage.  Got up at 5 AM for work.  Had already prepped my lunch for today, and prepped most of my breakfast. The morning went off without a hitch!  My Mom started a few days after me, and she is feeling pretty crappy today. I said well at least you are retired - take a nap (all day)!  LOL!  Really reading labels.  This does take some serious time to plan out menus etc, but at least I don't have little ones at home. I really just have to worry about me!  My husband will eat what I cook, so no worries there. We have such busy schedules that sometimes we just eat separately. So all is good on that front! 

Meal#1: 2 eggs, 1 piece of compliant bacon, tomatoes, and strawberries

Meal#2: Mexican Soup (onions, celery, carrots, jalapenos, cilantro, diced tomatoes, and chicken thighs)

Meal#3: Chicken breasts, grilled veggies

Well I made it a full 7 days on the Whole30.  I am pretty damn happy about that!  I think the most difficult part for me is just being able to drink water. I don't drink coffee, and I don't drink tea (don't like either of them).  So I am pretty limited.  I drink water all day, then at night have sparkling water with fruit. Still would like to have something else. Oh well, life goes on!  This morning I was a little short on time. Dogs were out of food, so I had to make them breakfast (yes they are spoiled).  So once I made them breakfast wasn't a lot of time for me.  So fixed a quick breakfast and packed up my lunch! Have I mentioned it is so nice not to feel like crap!  LOL!

Meal #1: 2 eggs, 1 piece of compliant bacon, strawberries (yep no veggies this morning)

Meal#2: Leftovers: Pot Roast with potatoes, carrots, onions and celery. Small salad on the side.

Meal#3: Hmm, might be leftover grilled chicken and a salad. Or I will pick up something to make. Haven't decided yet.

Day 9!  Yesterday was okay.  I was in the poor me stage yesterday.  I can't have this, this is boring, this is expensive, I am tired of cooking.  LOL!  I went to the store and stocked up again.  I am not cooking tonight though, it will be leftovers.  And will definitely be utilizing my crockpot more, so I don't feel like I am in the kitchen everyday after work.  :)  Sometimes you just need a break.  A little better mindset today.  I really wanted to weigh this morning (hoping for some motivation), but I didn't!  Yay me!  Oh and yesterday I was hungry. I mean growling stomach hungry.  So I added more to my breakfast this morning!

Meal#1: 2 eggs, 1 piece of compliant bacon, tomatoes, potatoes/onions, and strawberries

Meal#2: Chicken, jalapenos, onions, sweet peppers, lettuce, tomatoes, homemade salsa, and some watermelon.

Meal#3: Leftover beef stew

• Moderators

I think the most difficult part for me is just being able to drink water. I don't drink coffee, and I don't drink tea (don't like either of them).  So I am pretty limited.  I drink water all day, then at night have sparkling water with fruit. Still would like to have something else.

Try infused water -- slice some fruit or vegetables or herbs into water and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. I like cucumber and lemon slices in mine, but you could use strawberries or watermelon or whatever.

And don't completely discount teas. Herbal teas typically don't have caffeine (because they're not actually tea, they're just dried herbs), and they can have a variety of flavors. Good Earth brand has a Sweet & Spicy (this one comes in decaf or not, I always get decaf) that is nice -- but it does really taste sweet, like every time I have it, I think, this is too sweet, there must be sugar in it, and go read the label again to make sure I didn't miss something. I'll put a tea bag or two in a pitcher of water and let it sit in the fridge overnight and then drink it cold the next day when I want something different. You might also like hibiscus tea, which has a sort of floral taste and a pretty pink color.

You might also try kombucha. It's kind of expensive to buy, and not everyone likes it, but I love it. It's fizzy and a bit tart, and as a bonus, has some probiotic benefits. All the flavors of GT's brand are compliant -- don't even bother looking for their black label Classic lines, they're not sold in Texas, but the Enlightened lines are widely available at Sprout's, Whole Foods, and probably Central Market, and I've even found them at other stores lately too. And if you can find it, as far as I know, all flavors of Ft. Worth-based Holy Kombucha's flavors are compliant as well.

Thank you, Shannon!  I will try the herbal teas out. I tried one not to long ago, but I think it had too much water.  I didn't hate it, but I didn't love it.  LOL!   Kombucha ~ hmm kind of scared of this.  Ha! Fermented and little things floating in the drink.  I know, I should be a grown up and just try it.  So maybe I will! 

I really cannot believe I made it to Day 10!!!!  1/3 of the way through!  Pretty excited about that (and a little proud).  Definitely going to have to start mixing up my breakfast!  I have had the same Meal 1 10 days in a row.  I am going to try and frittata this weekend, and maybe something besides stuff with eggs. I need to figure out what I can do quickly and easily.  I know I can have something besides breakfast foods, but just haven't given that a go yet.  But totally open to it.

Feeling pretty good, but still have not worked out. Thinking that will be on my list of things to do tomorrow!  Definitely need to get the motivation to go to the gym.  Hardest part is driving there. 

Meal#1: 2 scrambled eggs, potatoes (not even a palm size), and strawberries.  I was out of tomatoes and such so this had to do.

Meal#2: Beef Pot Roast (beef, carrots, potatoes (a little), celery and onions). Plus some cucumbers and my last tomato in the house :) and watermelon.

Meal#3: Thinking Filet Mignon (got on sale,yay!), and some asparagus!

In addition, I decided to give up cashews. Seems to be a "no brakes" food for me.  I can eat a little at a time, and then a few minutes later a little at a time, so on.  LOL!  So, probably not good to have in the house.  I kept telling my husband to take the peanuts to his work, because we have a huge bag and I see them every day!  So, yesterday he came home and he saw the peanuts were in his shop.  HA!  He laughed.  No longer in my pantry! The cashews - well those got eaten. 

Cashews are pretty darn amazing little things aren't they!  I had one yesterday knowing full well they are a gateway nut.  Thankfully, we left the house before I could grab any more, but now they're back on my mind. :)

I drink the LaCroix sparkling waters, tea, and also kombuchas, which really grow on you.  You do have to read the ingredients because many of them add sugars, but I think this company is good  http://synergydrinks.com/index.php/products#enlightened-kombucha and I think the one named Trilogy is the easiest to like.   My other favorite is the Gingerade, but I remember it took me a full day to drink my first one.  I'd have a sip and make a weird face, put it down, and then a few minutes later, find myself drawn back for another sip. 

Well, Today is Day 11!!!  I am 1/3 the way through.  I have to say I feel pretty amazing today. Got up ate breakfast (out of most veggies,so headed to the store). Then mowed the lawn before it is 100 degrees outside.  I have energy.  I feel good and healthy.  Love it!  

Meal #1: 3 scrambled eggs, cucumbers, and strawberries.  Trust me - I know. Weird mix.  All I had and I ate it and it was good!

Haven't planned the rest of my meals yet.  Headed to the store. Hope everyone enjoys their weekend! 

Day 12! Day 12 I have had lots of cravings.  Last night we went to CD release party at a Cafe. They had cake, latte's, coke, chips - basically everything I can't have.  So, I got a water.  I am not even a sweet's (cake) person, but I was eyeing that cake all night. LOL!  Today, my son (who is 20) is talking about picking up some ice cream so he can make himself a milkshake.  My husband pipes in - hey pick me up some ice cream too.  So, stayed true though. I have been cooking all day.  Cooked a brisket (found the recipe on her to cook in tin foil in the crockpot) - so amazing.  Cooked Pork Carnitas from the Whole30 book, and I have a roasted chicken with carrots, onions, celery and red potatoes about ready for dinner.  So I am set for most of the week on my proteins!  Yay!  Also, I made some sweet potatoes with bacon and green onions this morning. Found the recipe on a Paleo site.  I don't really like sweet potatoes, so I thought if I can't eat them in bacon grease then I really don't like them!  LOL!  I ate them, but definitely don't love them.  So, I have tried sweet potatoes many ways but definitely not my cup of tea.  

Meal #1: 2 Eggs, 1 piece of bacon, strawberries, and sweet potato hash brown

Meal #2: Chicken with onions and peppers, cucumbers, tomatoes and some watermelon

Meal #3: Roasted Chicken with onions, carrots, celery and red potatoes.

Hi Jenny -- Sounds like things are going well! Nice work staying compliant despite the cake and ice cream. And what you're cooking sounds really delicious! Especially the bacon.  :D I'm gonna have to find me some compliant bacon!!

Oh, thanks! I live in the Mid-Atlantic. The Pedersons website says they supply to a Whole Foods distribution center about an hour from my house, so I'll keep my eyes open for it in the Whole Foods (another stores) around here.

Day 14! Wow! Pretty proud of myself for being complaint for 2 whole weeks! Crazy!  I am feeling pretty good.  I have had temptations, but have decline to partake! Even when people say "that is stupid", I still forge ahead and keep going.  I can do this. I think a lot of it for me is really sticking with SOMETHING for 30 days. I feel so much better, and I am so happy I am using the bathroom everyday.  It feels wonderful to NOT be constipated!  It is really wonderful.  So, I will reading that re-introduction section and will try to figure out what causes that for me.  So if anything, that is what I have learned so far, and that is greatness! 

Meal#1: 2 Fried Eggs in bacon fat, 1 piece of compliant bacon, tomatoes, and strawberries

Meal#2: Pork Carnitas, jalapenos, watermelon, homemade Italian dressing, salad (spinach, romaine, peppers, tomatoes, and cucumbers)

Mini Snack: Cashews (I am going straight after work to get my hair done, so I brought some cashews to hold me over till dinner)

Meal#3: Brisket, Potatoes/Onions in the oven, pickles (Bubbies), jalapenos, tomatoes, cucumbers

I hope everyone has a wonderful day! :P

Yay, congrats about the 2-week mark! Keep it up!

I'm glad you said that about pushing through when people say "this is stupid." I've already started to get that, so it's helpful to hear that I'm not alone, there. It's annoying, but I won't let it get to me!

Yes it is annoying!

Well, Day 15. The magical halfway mark.  I have to say today has actually sucked. LOL!  I wanted to say screw this and eat what I want. Obviously I won't do that. It is a matter of pride at this point. Ha! I know the feeling will pass, so I am just going with it.  But, I would really love a coke and some popcorn.  I know, I know - coke is so bad for you.  But I still love it (today).  Anyway, not much else to write about. 

Meal#1: 2 fried eggs, compliant bacon, tomatoes, and strawberries (look familiar)

Meal#2: Pork Carnitas and a salad.  I was definitely not feeling the salad today.  Ate the pork, compliant pickle, and jalapenos, and little bit of salad. Wasn't that hungry.

Meal#3: Hamburger patty with sauteed onions on top with mustard and a pickle.  Tomatoes, Cucs, and some baked potatoes.

On to Day 16!  I had a hot chocolate dream last night, which I find hilarious.  This is funny, because I am not really a sweets person.  My big down fall is carbs - I mean bad carbs. Nice salty chips, pizza, bread. I was walking in the snow and got to a coffee shop. I walked up and ordered a hot chocolate, and then I was like oh wait I can't have that.  Never mind. I was so disappointed.  First food dream I have had.  Weird.

I have to say my skin does look a little clearer.  I have had my husband and mom say I look thinner. But, I am hesitant on those compliments, because I think really how much weight could I have really lost.  I would like to lose around 20 lbs (not in this 30 days), but overall that is somewhere near my mark. I really would just like to be healthier in general. I have learned a lot so far, and some things I will definitely carry over after the 30 days.

Meal#1: 2 scrambled eggs, 1 piece of compliant bacon, tomatoes and strawberries.

Meal#3: Brisket, salad with sunflower seeds, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers, and zucchini. Homemade dressing.

Meal#3: Grilled chicken breasts, asparagus wrapped with prosciutto, and probably some grilled peppers/onions.

I am going to make a quiche or frittata this weekend, to give myself a break from the regular plain ol eggs.

Archived