Article about Coconut Oil for runners

fmr_sailor

Thanks fmr_sailor! It is nice to see some of this info out in the mainstream.

Two points to dispute in the article, just to be clear: saturated fat is actually good for you, including butter (clarified for the whole30) and coconut oil smeared on a date is a terrible idea for pre-run nutrition. If you want to become a fat burner, avoid fruit sugars like dates and even starchy carb vegetables pre-workout. The coconut oil alone would be great, or another source of fat or protein.

Thanks fmr_sailor! It is nice to see some of this info out in the mainstream.

Two points to dispute in the article, just to be clear: saturated fat is actually good for you, including butter (clarified for the whole30) and coconut oil smeared on a date is a terrible idea for pre-run nutrition. If you want to become a fat burner, avoid fruit sugars like dates and even starchy carb vegetables pre-workout. The coconut oil alone would be great, or another source of fat or protein.

Thank you for clarifying. I thought the same thing when I saw the part about dates!

• 1 month later...

I think what I remember being told here is that once your body has become efficient at burning fat for fuel, you won't hit the wall without the simple carbs anymore. Now, you may need something to sustain you on very long bouts of exercise. But I have comfortably run about 90 minutes having eaten just one hard boiled egg before leaving home and drinking water mixed with just seven ounces of coconut water.

Archived