Deciding about coffee post whole 30

My whole 30 ended June 30.

Since then I have remained largely compliant, while reintroducing dairy (so far no problem).

I want a cup of coffee.

This is complicated by the fact that when I went into my Whole30 I was drinking several cups of coffee laced liberally (very liberally) with French vanilla creamer. Days 1-4 of my Whole30 were hellish getting off caffeine/sugar. I don't ever want to go through that again.

At the same time, I want a cup of coffee. I don't drink it black, and historically I've added sugar. I'm warring with myself. "Can you have a small cup of coffee with a serving of half and half and enjoy it? If you can, you can have it. If you can't enjoy it without sugar or a cup of half and half, you need to refrain from coffee".

I'd like to be able to have a cup of coffee occasionally....but I don't want it to rule my life either.

Thoughts appreciated.

• Administrators

Have you tried it with coconut milk in it? Or try putting a hot coffee in the blender and adding some coconut oil and emulsifying it.  Makes a creamy rich coffee without anything troublesome.

Have you tried iced black coffee? For me, black coffee was something I would NEVER try, until Day two and I had a raging headache. I got iced black coffee from starbucks and was surprised to find that it really wasn't that bad. I've found several different bottled black ice coffee's in our gas stations and they are actually quite tasty and  have only coffee and water. I've really learned to appreciate them. While I will be 100% honest and say that I DO really miss my old coffee, I'm glad I gave black coffee a chance. Now, I KNOW that I can drink it.

• Moderators

I think it's entirely possible to enjoy and savor one delicious cup of coffee (or less) with a reasonable amount of half and half (if it doesn't bother you). Try it with coconut milk or coconut oil or whatever, but if you love the real deal and can truly savor it and experience no ill effects (including overconsumption), then more power to you. I drink about a cup a day and find I haven't developed an addiction and I can go without for days at a time without experiencing caffeine withdrawal.

• 2 weeks later...

I have always drank coffee with lots of honey and half-and-half. Tastes great! Yes, I can drink coffee black. It tastes way too bitter to become something to look forward to for me. I have a cup in the morning occasionally. Now I drink it with ghee and coconut milk. I still can't say that I like it, but I enjoy a cup of coffee with my life mate Linda. The things we endure for love, eh?

Archived