Start date: July 6

sooneral87

I think I'm overeating, especially the bad stuff like nuts. And I have to get myself to quit snacking! I keep forgetting that part, ugh. Come on, me!

You really need to eat bigger meals then.  I know it sounds counter-intuitive.  I feel like I eat a ton during a meal and I don't get hungry until right before time for my next meal which is 4-5 hours later.  Also make sure you are eating enough fat other than nuts.  Avacados, olive, coconut milk, coconut oil, any of the sauces that have oils in them will work too.

Make sure you follow the meal template  http://whole30.com/downloads/whole30-meal-planning.pdf

I found that I don't think about portions much.  I just eat good food until I'm full.  I do of course follow the meal template above and make sure I use lots of veggies including some starchy veggies like potatoes at least once a day.  

I can't stress how important I think it is to follow the meal template.  It is designed to get you the right balance of everything and to keep you full between meals.  Please don't under-feed yourselves!  That will only set you up for failure on this plan.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey all - I started the 6th too.  How nice to see that there's so many people on here who started on what I thought was a totally random day!!

I'm back on Whole30 after falling off the Paleo wagon throughout the spring...and finally crashing the health wagon in June. I got sick around June 7th, didn't slow down, and got worse, and a week after I had fever and chills, it had turned into asthma and walking pneumonia.  I couldn't breathe properly, and couldn't leave my apartment for weeks, during which time I gained five pounds of pure fat (according to my Withings scale).  I was emotional eating out of despair that I would recover from the lung problems, AND eating as part of search for a quick energy fix.  I was constantly eating high sugar / high carb foods: Rice Krispies, dried bananas, the occasional bowl of ice cream.  And my body seems to love storing fat: it's like my genetics are still expecting a famine any moment and believe I need to be prepared for it.

Before I got sick, I worked out with a trainer two days a week, rode my bike 20mi roundtrip to work one day/week and threw in the occasional yoga or Pilates class.  Now, I feel lucky to be able to manage the subway stairs, and only just started walking with run intervals for twenty minutes this week.  I'm hoping to be able to work my way back to my previous condition, but it's going to be hard to break the return to the habit of relying on high glycemic foods for energy.

Yesterday, I was SO hungry when I got home from work that I devoured the compliant dinner my husband thoughtfully prepared (he cooked my BBQ chicken leg without the BBQ sauce, and I demolished it with a side of carrots).  But I have a bad habit of eating for energy when I'm exhausted at the end of the day.  So I then fell face first into a bowl of frozen cherries with coconut milk.  In hindsight, I probably could have gone for a salad, but I'd had a breakfast salad, stirfry with cauliflower rice for lunch (along with an apple and some almonds), and then a snack in the afternoon of cucumbers and guacamole and a package of dried seaweed.  I finally stopped eating after I found a mini-burger leftover in the fridge (about 2oz of grass fed beef) and ate that.  I'm trying to identify the "eating for energy" vs. "eating for hunger" so I'm not caving in to everyone's nemesis, the Sugar Dragon, but it is HARD at night.  (I'm planning to roll back my bedtime a bit - clearly if I'm so exhausted, I should be sleeping, not eating)

I actually do log my food using MyFitnessPal - I try to disregard the calories, but I like the tracking habit.  It's just going to be tough to get past the emotional/exhaustion eating problem.  I realize, if I can beat that, my body will stop waiting until EOD for carbs and start using up this fat it insisted on storing, but it's HARD.  Does anyone else come home and just want to fall into a bowl of sugary...something?

So it's day four. I am so happy not to have a headache today. My biggest challenge with Whole30 is snacking. I am a grazer. I love to snack. I like to eat all day everyday. Having the discipline to sit down and eat three big meals is really where I am just UGH. But I am doing it and it is working alright. I am coming to terms with the fact that I just like to eat eat eat and that is where I have some serious issues. These issues might go beyond the perimeters of the Whole30. Anyways, this is a great day to be freed of the bondage of a pounding headache. I had a great workout this morning and all is right in the world.

This was me before I started the whole 30.  I loved to eat little meals all day long.  But I have found that by incorporating a lot of variety in my 3 big meals that it's not as bad except for the afternoons.  That's when I really have a craving for a snack.  But then I start thinking about what I am fixing for dinner and before I know it's time to start cooking.  Part of it is about changing out habits.  You'll get there!

Dem, I feel you - we just got some bad news last night (grandpa has cancer) so my family went into a downward spiral of drinking wine. I'm out too... need to contemplate a good time to start again...totally not feeling it today. I know that's not an excuse to "not be compliant" but I feel awful.

This was me before I started the whole 30.  I loved to eat little meals all day long.  But I have found that by incorporating a lot of variety in my 3 big meals that it's not as bad except for the afternoons.  That's when I really have a craving for a snack.  But then I start thinking about what I am fixing for dinner and before I know it's time to start cooking.  Part of it is about changing out habits.  You'll get there!

Thank you for this! I am finding that when I plan out my meals I am in better shape during the day.

Dem, I feel you - we just got some bad news last night (grandpa has cancer) so my family went into a downward spiral of drinking wine. I'm out too... need to contemplate a good time to start again...totally not feeling it today. I know that's not an excuse to "not be compliant" but I feel awful.

mcki0133, please try to eat as healthy as you can.  3 years ago I had dropped 30 pounds in order to donate a kidney to my sister.  Before we could have surgery she died.  Two months later my mom was diagnosed with terminal cancer.  I COMPLETELY dropped my diet because the hospital we spent our lives at only had a bakery kind of restaurant in which to eat.  When we were at home I was too busy taking care of and loving my bedridden mom.  It was crucially important to me that she understood that all of the love she bestowed upon me for 48 years was not unnoticed and I tried to return the entire favor in the 9 months until she died.  The bigger favor would have been to take care of myself and be healthy.  It took 2 years but I've gained every pound back.

I am so determined to not let this happen again.  I know its hard.  Be strong.  God bless your family.  I will pray for peace and health for all of you.

Happy Friday ... and Day 5!!!!!  I almost feel guilty that I feel great!  I haven't had any side effects but I'm thinking its because I did a God awful, horrible, no good cleanse at the beginning of June and remained relatively sugar free during the month.  I definitely slayed the sugar dragon then.

I have lots of energy, I am having a bit of a hard time sleeping (which I hope returns to normal) and life is good.  I've enjoyed all of the meals I've made; I'm finding there is so much variety in what I can eat that I am not yet missing what I am avoiding.  I try to look at it as I'm avoiding the food instead of thinking I cannot have it ... which sometimes makes me want it just because!

My favorite thing about today?  I can take my jeans down without unbuttoning or unzipping them.  That is a whole lot of bloat to lose in 4 days!

Have a great weekend everyone!

It was hard today going grocery shopping and looking at all the sugary goodies!  But thankfully I had just eaten dinner so it wasn't as bad.  I did have some hot herbal tea tonight.  That really helped calm my cravings and now has made me sleepy.  We made it another day!

Oh my all these stories! I wish all of you who fell of the wagon due to family or other problems lots of love, luck and strenght. But still take care of yourselves!

I made it through dining out. Today is fine, did not sleep so well but I'am OK

Good luck all of you preparing holding on fighting sugar dragons etc

Cool I just joined the July 6 group on Facebook! This is my second Whole 30 and the first time I've ever put anything on any of my social media about it because I've been scared of what my friends will think. But I am hoping it will help motivate me to stick with it. I've had several false starts the second time around. 

I can't believe I am still in it. I am a personal chef and thank God some of them wanted to eat this way "to see if they liked it". Ha! I am wondering what they eat around my meals. hee hee. At any rate, I made it through a weekend of two parties that had BREAD BREAD MORE BREAD and CAKES. Those are my weaknesses. Alas, I ate before both events so I wasn't hungry or HANGRY. Bam! I am here this morning.

Tonight is another challenge. . . 40th birthday party dinner for a friend. Dear Dog I don't believe I have ever been this social.

How are all of you July 6ers doing!!??   Congrats it is already Day 8.  How is it going?

I was very happy I made it through a Graduation Party on Saturday with people I did not know (other than my BF) AND a birthday party for BF's mother on Sunday at a steak restaurant.  Yep, sat there as all of the deserts that were ordered were passed around the table right under my nose.  Went to the dinner prepared with my own salad dressing, some ghee for the baked potato i ordered and my own LaCroix. 

Today, back at work, still on plan, but I'm super sluggish, did not sleep well last night.   The weekend which were supposed to be the really tired days didn't seem so bad.

Good morning all ... wow, day 9.  Tomorrow we will have been in this for double digit days!  That is kind of exciting.  I am still going strong.  I've decided I might be eating too much fruit and while I don't eat that much of it, I'm definitely feeling the effects of it.  So, I'm taking a week or two off of it and substituting veggies.

I'm also still not sleeping well.  This is a bummer.  As I said earlier, midafternoon naps at my desk are seriously frowned upon!  However, I know I just need to keep on keeping on and sleep will come eventually.  I'm super excited about all of the energy I have.

I also am enjoying the food.  At this point, its hard to imagine ever putting something processed in my mouth again.  Okay, so truthfully I'm wondering how I'm going to continue this feeling long term.  I have a family chock full of diabetics and I don't want to join that particular group.  I definitely plan to make this a lifetime habit.

I hope everyone enjoys their day ... make it a great one!

Hello everyone! Day 9. Sorry to hear about some peoples family problems! Sending light and strength your way!

I'm still plugging along, survived some bbqs and family get togethers this weekend. Had a very hard time at a BBQ Saturday. I felt uncomfortable with this group of people and was tempted to have a drink to take the edge off and lighten up but I decided "nope! I'm going home!" Haha. So we left.

This is my 2nd whole 30 and in a way I'm reflecting on other parts of my life that need improvement. I'm trying to connect with my kids in more meaningful ways and teach them better habits. We've been trying to sit down to meals together and maybe this sounds silly but it's even easier to do than what I had been doing which was feed the toddler whatever he wants, whenever he wants it while I cook my compliant food. He wanders off to the living room and makes a mess... It's been so enjoyable to sit and chat with him. And then he helps me clean up the table. This might be "parenting 101" but I didn't take that class and am learning the hard way.

• Administrators

I'm still plugging along, survived some bbqs and family get togethers this weekend. Had a very hard time at a BBQ Saturday. I felt uncomfortable with this group of people and was tempted to have a drink to take the edge off and lighten up but I decided "nope! I'm going home!" Haha. So we left.

Going home instead of drinking is so much more respectful of yourself on so many different levels!  Instead of dishonoring your valid feelings and numbing them down with alcohol to give you a false sense of security, you honored those feelings and left.  I love that it's a part of what this is about. Learning about yourself and accepting the person you are!

Going home instead of drinking is so much more respectful of yourself on so many different levels! Instead of dishonoring your valid feelings and numbing them down with alcohol to give you a false sense of security, you honored those feelings and left. I love that it's a part of what this is about. Learning about yourself and accepting the person you are!

Thank you!!

Happy Day 9! I've been feeling great the past two days.  Slept amazing and have great energy.  Going camping this weekend so I have lots of food prep to do so I'm not reaching for the snack foods.  I was feeling anxious about not drinking as it sounds so much fun to play card games and have wine by the fire but I realize if I want to change my habits, I need to make new experiences that don't include things I'm trying to eliminate. 

Hi everyone,

I wish you all the luck in the world to hold on.

I have to stop though. Two days ago we found out that my husband has Marfans disease with an dangerous aneusryms close to his heart. Needs a big operation with lots of impact on his work and social life, Two daughters are at risk to have the same condition.

At this time I have to shift my priorities.

I will not put it all overboard I can imagine that small rules will be violated.

I am sorry but I will be back, but not for now.

• Administrators

Hi everyone,

I have to stop though. Two days ago we found out that my husband has Marfans disease with an dangerous aneusryms close to his heart. Needs a big operation with lots of impact on his work and social life, Two daughters are at risk to have the same condition.

I will not put it all overboard I can imagine that small rules will be violated.

I'm so sorry to heaer that, Roussa.  I hope everything turns out alright for you and your family. 

I am so sorry!  I hope what you have learned thus far carries through for you so you will feel at your best to help take care of your family.  Remember to take care of yourself also.

Goo luck!  I will be praying for your husbands health and your family's peace.

Hi everyone,

Archived