Starting July 13th

Nickiechan

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi l84ld8! I think salted breakfast describes our breakfasts pretty well to be honest! In England a breakfast can be savoury without being compliant very easily, it would be good to have a new word to describe our compliant breakfasts.

Don't worry about saying silly things, I've always found that everything I've read on the whole30 forum has been really supportive. And anyway, once when living in Italy I asked for 'la ricette' (the recipe) for a portion of french fries rather than 'il conte' (the bill)!

Tonight I've done hours of food prep for my week 1. It was hard work, I really wanted to just crash in front of the tv after a little while but I know I will be thankful I did it by the end of next week.

I'm looking forward to starting now. I think I might have forgotten how hard the first couple of weeks are...

Hi, I started my second whole30 today and am looking forward to being part of the forum this time.  I found it really valuable to read what everyone else had to say during my first one - 26th May onwards.   I lasted 35 days and the change in food really did have an impact on me - it really helped me to manage portion size, find out which foods aren't the best for me and stop me snacking in between meals.  I did the reintroduction process over about 8 days as planned and that was really helpful in identifying key food groups that had different effects.  However, a week on holiday has meant I've slipped at some point each day since then and hence I'm back to the whole30 today.  It feels good to be back with the clarity of the 'rules'.  Looking forward to being here. :)

I'm so pleased that there is a big group of people starting tomorrow :) 

I just finished all my food prep for tomorrow, I completely forgot how exhausting it is to spend so long on your feet chopping veggies and the interminable washing up afterwards. It is quite satisfying seeing my fridge stacked full of tupperware though. 

How has your first day gone Teachkk? 

Good luck everyone!

P.S. Mods - I've noticed there are a couple of July 13th groups, any chance we could be merged or is that not possible? 

I am starting tomorrow, Monday! I just turned 43 yesterday  :) I am preparing by making a big batch of turkey chili and coconut chicken curry for the next few days. I am also educating my (live in) boyfriend about ways in which he can support me. Honestly the biggest issue for me will be not smoking or drinking but I feel very ready for the challenge. Oh, also I travel ALOT for work, so that is something to be ready for. 

I have been mostly gluten free and dairy free (for the first time) for about two months. So I have some practice. 

Also, I have had to scale back on red meat consumption due to an iron overload issue. That is an adjustment because I like red meat a lot but I will be veering toward seafood and white meat on this plan. 

Hey everyone! I just finished my grocery shopping and some meal prep to start tomorrow! I am from Texas, so of course I had to make salsa. I will miss Tex-Mex food the most. :( Southwest eggs on the menu for tomorrow morning! What did you guys do for your prep? Also, I started an instagram account to post my meals to hold myself accountable. Feel free to follow along @casedoeswhole30 

l84ad8 Peanut butter and jelly on bread is wonderful!! :D 

Casey

And so, it has begun! :)

And so, my husband already waved the white flag... :angry: 

This morning he came in the kitchen, he looked at his omelette, he turned kind of green and he asked me if he could maybe start with lunch...And so, I've already won! :D

Jokes apart, I really had to force myself to eat my scrambled eggs...and didn't finish them. I eat 3 out of 4. The side of green beans and cherry tomatoes wasn't so hard, instead. I think I'm going to eat my eggs hard boiled tomorrow...even though at the moment I'm quite ready to sign eggs off for the rest of my life. Maybe I can add some homemade mayo.

At the moment I'm also sure there's no way I'll be hungry at lunch. No. Way! ...for the good food, that is, cause as soon as I got to the office this morning my boss told me to warn the others that he brought from Genova a few slices of focaccia for us to enjoy.

I don't know if you know what focaccia is (the only term I found is flat bread) but suffice to say that the one from Genova is the best one ever. He brings it to us once in a while...and it obviously had to be today! I almost fill like crying.

But enough with self-pity!

I'm going to go buy some stuff this afternoon. Suggestions from someone who already did it?

I don't have any nuts at home so I'm going to buy them for sure. And than I was thinking about coconut but I'm not so sure cause it's not my favorite flavour. :wacko:

Let me know how it goes for you! And please, try to start before quitting! Don't do like my husband! :D

Day 1!!!

Doing well. I kind of went on a 'binge' yesterday. My husband and I turn 30 this year and we decided to throw a big joint birthday party. My parents took our children and I was able to drink for the first time in 67 days (haven't since my last Whole 30) and then my MIL always trying to sabotaged me brought my favorite pie (Lemon meringue) even though I made Paleo brownie bites to put our candles on... So I'm feeling the effects of the hangover, and the carb hangover. I did make goo choices and didn't eat much, but my weigh in wasn't that pretty this morning. Up 4lbs since I last weighted myself (end of my last Whole 30)...

Weight: 150.6lbs 

Meal 1:

3 Eggs
Peppers & Onions

Meal 2:

Tuna Salad

Spinach

Peppers & Cherry Tomatoes

Cucumber slaw (without sugar, made myself)

Meal 3:

Grilled Chicken

Grilled Zucchini 

I'm nervous as... this weekend we are planning on meeting with some out of state friends for Dinner. They already picked out the restaurant and I'm trying my hardest to find something compliant. I am sad to say that I may restart afterwards as I don't want it to hinder our time with our friends who we haven't seen in awhile. They've been talking about going to this place for awhile. 

Hey everyone! I just finished my grocery shopping and some meal prep to start tomorrow! I am from Texas, so of course I had to make salsa. I will miss Tex-Mex food the most. :( Southwest eggs on the menu for tomorrow morning! What did you guys do for your prep? Also, I started an instagram account to post my meals to hold myself accountable. Feel free to follow along @casedoeswhole30 

l84ad8 Peanut butter and jelly on bread is wonderful!! :D 

Casey

Hi Case! I'm on instagram too to keep myself accountable. I know its a little silly but it definitely gives me a reward seeing other people 'like' the meals I put together and its a way of keeping me motivated. I just followed you and I don't mean to pry but goodness, your home is absolutely beautiful! I'm @bringbacklittleJ if anybody is interested.

For those who have asked, I think the best bits of meal prep I did this weekend was making a few sauces (some from the Whole 30 book if you have it) to make sure that even if I end up eating a grilled chicken salad, I won't get bored. I also bought some pumpkin seeds and toasted them in a little coconut oil, paprika and lime juice and roasted a huge tray of veggies for lunches through the week.

Nickie chan - I really hope you manage to find something at the restaurant tonight, I notice you said that you're tired of resetting and it must be hard to have to think about making that choice after day 1. However, if you do reset at least you will still be pretty much at the same stage of the rest of us for support :)

I've just noticed I'm totally overspamming this page... maybe I should pipe down a bit!

I'm starting today as well.  I think my biggest foil will be alcohol - I love my glass of wine in the evening.  But - as a friend said to me - "Anyone can do anything for 30 days".  I'm just feeling sluggish and looking forward to the health benefits of a reset.

Day 1 - I'm ready to do this!!  I did my meal prep and made a sweet potato breakfast casserole I'm planning on eating throughout the week.  I also found a recipe for apple pork breakfast sausages.  I doubled the recipe and made a bunch and froze them.  I am making a sweet potato and sausage hash for my lunch today, and turkey chili in the crockpot for dinner tonight and then plan on leftovers throughout the week for lunch.  I made some homemade salad dressing and hard boiled a few eggs.  I did spend more at the grocery store than I had planned, but am hoping I can get a couple weeks out of everything.  I did go a little crazy with my eating over the weekend, eating what I knew I couldn't for awhile so I'm feeling really sluggish this morning, even more reason to be excited about this program! 

My brother had a BBQ yesterday because his fiance's sister is in town and I was talking about how I was starting this program today.  The sister actually has done this program and said she loved it, and my mom wants to read the book and sounded interested in doing it as well, which is great.  I'm the only one in the house doing it right now, even though the dinners I cook for the family I plan to be compliant for everyone, so it'll be nice if my mom gets on board to have that extra support!

I'm a little nervous for this weekend.  My brother and his fiance are planning their wedding and want us to go with them to the mountains on Saturday to try a Mexican restaurant for the rehearsal dinner.  I went online to try and find a menu and there wasn't one.  My hope is to have a big breakfast before I go and do some research online about whole30 and Mexican restaurants, because I don't want to go off plan, or am open to suggestions if anyone has any!  Also on Sunday, we have plans to go to the Renaissance Festival with some friends.  My plan is to once again eat a large breakfast and pack a small cooler with compliant lunch meat, a hard boiled egg, and maybe a few almonds. 

Hi Case! I'm on instagram too to keep myself accountable. I know its a little silly but it definitely gives me a reward seeing other people 'like' the meals I put together and its a way of keeping me motivated. I just followed you and I don't mean to pry but goodness, your home is absolutely beautiful! I'm @bringbacklittleJ if anybody is interested.

For those who have asked, I think the best bits of meal prep I did this weekend was making a few sauces (some from the Whole 30 book if you have it) to make sure that even if I end up eating a grilled chicken salad, I won't get bored. I also bought some pumpkin seeds and toasted them in a little coconut oil, paprika and lime juice and roasted a huge tray of veggies for lunches through the week.

Nickie chan - I really hope you manage to find something at the restaurant tonight, I notice you said that you're tired of resetting and it must be hard to have to think about making that choice after day 1. However, if you do reset at least you will still be pretty much at the same stage of the rest of us for support :)

I've just noticed I'm totally overspamming this page... maybe I should pipe down a bit!

Thank you! I appreciate that. I won't go hog wild, but I'm going to go with the fish and ask for veggies instead of rice. I still need to call them to find out what oil they use. If I do have to reset, it will be because of some off plan cooking ingredients. I will try my best to stay true paleo during the whole thing. I know I can only do so much and I'll bring my own ghee for the veggies. :P 

I am starting today. I have the whole thirty book and have shopped and done some prep -i made clarified butter and used it as the fat in my omelette today. I would have started yesterday but i had milk and sugar in my tea. I am glad to have others who are starting today as well.  :rolleyes:

Day 1 folks! What's everyone eating today? I am really only doing a Whole29 this go around but then will continue on after a planned off day on Day 30. Trying to make this as much of a lifestyle as I can and thought it would be fun to do it along with others this time since I essentially did it on my own the first round.

My food is usually always real simple and veggies almost always raw as that is what works best for me :) also olives....all.the.olives!

Meal one: 3 eggs cooked in coconut oil and just with salt and pepper today, 6 mini raw peppers, handful of black olives (think I usually eat 10 a meal when it's my designated fat source).

Meal two: 4 italian meatballs (recipe from well fed 2) 6 mini raw peppers, some baby carrots, black olives,maybe a cup of red grapes, and some of my favorite silver springs beer n brat mustard (it's compliant!) if I feel I need a dip.

Meal three: need to locate a recipe but think I am making up some meat muffins with either spinach or kale in them 

• Administrators

P.S. Mods - I've noticed there are a couple of July 13th groups, any chance we could be merged or is that not possible? 

Hi Jenny, we don't usually merge the groups for a couple reasons.  First, they become extremely large and somewhat unmanageable for the moderator team to keep up with (these group threads move SO fast) and second, each group tends to have its own group personality so we allow people to keep their own groups.

If we need to, to avoid confusion, we can edit the thread titles, would that help?

And so, it has begun! :)

And so, my husband already waved the white flag... :angry:

This morning he came in the kitchen, he looked at his omelette, he turned kind of green and he asked me if he could maybe start with lunch...And so, I've already won! :D

Jokes apart, I really had to force myself to eat my scrambled eggs...and didn't finish them. I eat 3 out of 4. The side of green beans and cherry tomatoes wasn't so hard, instead. I think I'm going to eat my eggs hard boiled tomorrow...even though at the moment I'm quite ready to sign eggs off for the rest of my life. Maybe I can add some homemade mayo.

At the moment I'm also sure there's no way I'll be hungry at lunch. No. Way! ...for the good food, that is, cause as soon as I got to the office this morning my boss told me to warn the others that he brought from Genova a few slices of focaccia for us to enjoy.

I don't know if you know what focaccia is (the only term I found is flat bread) but suffice to say that the one from Genova is the best one ever. He brings it to us once in a while...and it obviously had to be today! I almost fill like crying.

But enough with self-pity!

I'm going to go buy some stuff this afternoon. Suggestions from someone who already did it?

I don't have any nuts at home so I'm going to buy them for sure. And than I was thinking about coconut but I'm not so sure cause it's not my favorite flavour. :wacko:

Let me know how it goes for you! And please, try to start before quitting! Don't do like my husband! :D

Hi - you're sense of humor is great and will help you throughout this journey!

On the breakfast issue - remember, there are no laws that state you must eat eggs for breakfast while on W30. They are a good option, but if it's make you queasy, you don't have to have them. You can eat anything on the compliant list at any time of the day. Some folks have leftovers from dinner for breakfast, some just have a little fruit and maybe an avocado - do what works for you or it will feel like drudgery and that won't be sustainable.

Foccaccia! OMG, what a cruel joke on day 1! You can do it!

Cheers! Betsie

Day 1!!!

Doing well. I kind of went on a 'binge' yesterday. My husband and I turn 30 this year and we decided to throw a big joint birthday party. My parents took our children and I was able to drink for the first time in 67 days (haven't since my last Whole 30) and then my MIL always trying to sabotaged me brought my favorite pie (Lemon meringue) even though I made Paleo brownie bites to put our candles on... So I'm feeling the effects of the hangover, and the carb hangover. I did make goo choices and didn't eat much, but my weigh in wasn't that pretty this morning. Up 4lbs since I last weighted myself (end of my last Whole 30)...

Weight: 150.6lbs 

Meal 1:

3 Eggs

Peppers & Onions

Meal 2:

Tuna Salad

Spinach

Peppers & Cherry Tomatoes

Cucumber slaw (without sugar, made myself)

Meal 3:

Grilled Chicken

Grilled Zucchini 

I'm nervous as... this weekend we are planning on meeting with some out of state friends for Dinner. They already picked out the restaurant and I'm trying my hardest to find something compliant. I am sad to say that I may restart afterwards as I don't want it to hinder our time with our friends who we haven't seen in awhile. They've been talking about going to this place for awhile. 

Nickie make sure to get your fats in with each meal! It truly does make a difference! Don't be scared  :D my first round I had 10 olives or a whole avocado with pretty much every meal and lost over 12 pounds :)

I had an omelette for breakfast. four eggs and a clementine.. I broke the coffee habit, so no coffee. Skipped the tea as it is really hot and I don't like it black. I drink water with everything. 

For lunch I am having canned tuna  ( have to recheck the label vis a vis  added soy )and avacado on salad greens. Since i havent made the mayo yet I will hold off on the dressing. I prebrowned the meat and onions last night for some chili so i will pop that in the crock pot soon for dinner with some zoodles. 

that is the plan for day one!

Day 1 - I'm ready to do this!!  I did my meal prep and made a sweet potato breakfast casserole I'm planning on eating throughout the week.  I also found a recipe for apple pork breakfast sausages.  I doubled the recipe and made a bunch and froze them.  I am making a sweet potato and sausage hash for my lunch today, and turkey chili in the crockpot for dinner tonight and then plan on leftovers throughout the week for lunch.  I made some homemade salad dressing and hard boiled a few eggs.  I did spend more at the grocery store than I had planned, but am hoping I can get a couple weeks out of everything.  I did go a little crazy with my eating over the weekend, eating what I knew I couldn't for awhile so I'm feeling really sluggish this morning, even more reason to be excited about this program! 

My brother had a BBQ yesterday because his fiance's sister is in town and I was talking about how I was starting this program today.  The sister actually has done this program and said she loved it, and my mom wants to read the book and sounded interested in doing it as well, which is great.  I'm the only one in the house doing it right now, even though the dinners I cook for the family I plan to be compliant for everyone, so it'll be nice if my mom gets on board to have that extra support!

I'm a little nervous for this weekend.  My brother and his fiance are planning their wedding and want us to go with them to the mountains on Saturday to try a Mexican restaurant for the rehearsal dinner.  I went online to try and find a menu and there wasn't one.  My hope is to have a big breakfast before I go and do some research online about whole30 and Mexican restaurants, because I don't want to go off plan, or am open to suggestions if anyone has any!  Also on Sunday, we have plans to go to the Renaissance Festival with some friends.  My plan is to once again eat a large breakfast and pack a small cooler with compliant lunch meat, a hard boiled egg, and maybe a few almonds. 

I grew up on and adore Mexican food - but Mexican restaurants are a challenge, for sure! The chips!!! I try to push the chips as far away from as possible, so I won't "accidentally" reach for some. If you tell folks you can't have any, it will force you to be accountable, too. Otherwise, you should be able to find an entree to eat. Fajitas are a good option - just tell them to keep the tortillas and rice/beans. I often find a shrimp dish that is grilled or baked that works. Be careful about sauces - I ordered something with a garlic sauce once but when it came and was clearly full of cream. The description didn't sound like it would be creamy, so I was surprised. Carnitas and/or carne alovada are good choices. If nothing else, order a taco and ditch the tortilla when it comes. Good luck!

Betsie :D

I am starting today as well. This will be my second W30. I did my first one last September but did not join a forum to share along the way.

My go to breakfast is eggs, compliant meat (bacon or sausage), spinach and tomatoes.

I'm having a grilled burger patty, broccoli and cashews for lunch and salmon, avocado and squash for dinner. I'm usually pretty boring during the week but cook more exciting stuff on the weekends.

Hope everyone enjoys the journey. It can be tough at times but definitely worth it!

I just checked my tuna labels and my beef broth labels and well dont cha know they both have soy bean products in them. I guess it is back to the label reading!  and the super market. thanks for the heads up. this is all quite an education!

I am also starting today!  I'm so excited.  I'm starting with a local friend so I have someone to be accountable to.  My husband says he will do this with me, but history says he won't comply 100%.  We'll see on that one.  LOL!  Today started off very well.  I got a good workout in and made a sweet potato and ground beef hash.  This is my first time with Whole 30.  I have done Paleo quite extensively in the past, but the last few months...not so much.  So, I really need to stay motivated and plan well.  Here we go!  

Archived