Starting July 13th

Nickiechan

I usually eat a later breakfast because of thyroid medicine I take in the morning, so I got up, took my meds, and ate a hard-boiled egg an hour later.  I guess I'll call that a mini meal :)  Here is my menu for the day:

Meal 1:  Sweet potato breakfast casserole (found recipe online) with some mixed fruit (strawberries, blueberries, kiwi).

Meal 2: Sweet potato hash (another recipe found online) with some sliced avocado and grapes.

Meal 3: Turkey chili with a spinach salad (homemade italian vinegarette dressing)

On Monday nights I usually go to water aerobics at 6:30.  I am thinking of eating my dinner about an hour beforehand and when I get home eat an apple with some almond butter as a small post-workout snack.  Any opinions on this?  I normally eat dinner when I get home, but am thinking 8:30 is probably too late since I go to bed around 10:00.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so pleased that there is a big group of people starting tomorrow :)

I just finished all my food prep for tomorrow, I completely forgot how exhausting it is to spend so long on your feet chopping veggies and the interminable washing up afterwards. It is quite satisfying seeing my fridge stacked full of tupperware though. 

How has your first day gone Teachkk? 

Good luck everyone!

P.S. Mods - I've noticed there are a couple of July 13th groups, any chance we could be merged or is that not possible? 

My day was great!!  Didn't feel one bit hungry, so that's a positive.  I would have loved a glass of wine in my hand as I did all that cooking though ;)  Day 2 for me and I've got a bit of a headache...not sure why though.  I am drinking my coffee black, so still have the caffeine, and I don't normally have a lot of grains or dairy anyway.  Could be psychological :)  Hope day 1 is going well!!!

I have  a question - what is "Ghee"!?  I assume some type of butter - but where do I find it?!

I found Ghee at Sprouts.  If you don't have one close, I have read it is pretty easy to make.

Oh Boy I jumped on board this morning!  I got back from vacation a couple of days ago and thought I would get more reading in while traveling, but I spent the last couple of days absorbing as much as I could and menu planning a bit.  I will follow the first week in the book, loosely as I don't have all of the ingredients at home.  I have a shopping list for tomorrows grocery run and can wing it today.  I did make the frittata this morning and holy cow 1 serving (1/2 of the frittata) was a lot of food!  Lunch will be a some chicken fajitas I made a couple of days ago, dinner a steak with grilled veggies.  I'm off and running! 

Hubby has been working in China for a month and comes back on Sunday, so he can jump on board with me next week.  He has gut problems and all the damn gluten in China is kicking his butt.  He feels lousy despite his best efforts.  I am hoping to get my energy levels back up and lose the bloating, drop a few pounds too.  (I used to follow Michael Thurmond's 6 Week body makeover, but it no longer works for me.  Too many grains I suspect, but no dairy, wheat or sugar either.)  So far I'm loving the fat on this program.  Avocados are wonderful!  The only killer is they are pricy and often times not good! 

I walked out to my veggie garden and snipped some fresh kale for my frittata today!  What a nice feeling!  I love the online support.  Thanks for being here people!

Alison

I have  a question - what is "Ghee"!?  I assume some type of butter - but where do I find it?!

I had to order it online. Tin Star Foods was who I used, and they got it out to me fairly quickly. I tried to make it once myself... it was not successful. lol 

• Administrators

I usually eat a later breakfast because of thyroid medicine I take in the morning, so I got up, took my meds, and ate a hard-boiled egg an hour later.  I guess I'll call that a mini meal :)  Here is my menu for the day:

Meal 1:  Sweet potato breakfast casserole (found recipe online) with some mixed fruit (strawberries, blueberries, kiwi).

Meal 2: Sweet potato hash (another recipe found online) with some sliced avocado and grapes.

Meal 3: Turkey chili with a spinach salad (homemade italian vinegarette dressing)

On Monday nights I usually go to water aerobics at 6:30.  I am thinking of eating my dinner about an hour beforehand and when I get home eat an apple with some almond butter as a small post-workout snack.  Any opinions on this?  I normally eat dinner when I get home, but am thinking 8:30 is probably too late since I go to bed around 10:00.

Our post workout meal recommendation is lean protein and a starchy veggie.  No fat.  And no fruit because it preferentially will replenish your liver glycogen rather than your muscle glycogen.  Just a few bites of chicken breast and sweet potato (a popular choice) right after your class should be sufficient.

• Administrators

Ghee is butter which has had the milk solids removed.  You can make your own if you can't find it to buy; there are tonnes of resources online, google is your friend!

Hi - you're sense of humor is great and will help you throughout this journey!

On the breakfast issue - remember, there are no laws that state you must eat eggs for breakfast while on W30. They are a good option, but if it's make you queasy, you don't have to have them. You can eat anything on the compliant list at any time of the day. Some folks have leftovers from dinner for breakfast, some just have a little fruit and maybe an avocado - do what works for you or it will feel like drudgery and that won't be sustainable.

Foccaccia! OMG, what a cruel joke on day 1! You can do it!

Cheers! Betsie

Thank you Betsie!

And thank you for the advice about breakfast too. Today while I was asking for ham for my child at the supermarket I had an epiphany about it along those lines. Whyever am I trying to eat 4 eggs for breakfast even though I'm not used to them when I can have perfectly good Parma ham instead? :blink:

So tomorrow I'll have 1 hard boiled egg and than Parma ham (actually it's not Parma but another brand called 'San Daniele'. I like it better becuse it's less salty) with fennels, cucumbers and maybe carrots. I'll add hazelnuts for fats. I think it'll be ok.

About today:

Surprisingly, I was hungry for lunch and so menaged to eat 1 sausage and a half plus one rib. Cherry tomatoes and green beans as vegetables and hazelnut for fat. I also had a few cherries.

This evening I ate grilled chicken breast, vegetables pinzimonio (oil, salt and lemon dip) and olives as fat. Cherries as fruit again.

I used to eat lots of fruit until today and I think I'll start to add something again tomorrow because I miss it and summer is the only period in which I eat it. I red in It starts with food that if you go with the season and eat more fruit in summer time and less in winter time it's good to have a little more. I'd like to have fruit 3 times a day instead of two. What do you think about it? (To tell the truth I'd like to eat 4 peaches, a bunch of cherries and some apricots every day as I did until today but I don't think that would be ok :lol:

Overall I think the first day went pretty well. My main problem is that I'm almost never hungry and today I was so I'm very pleased with myself.

I hope not to have too bad a headache tomorrow. We kind of went on a bender in the last few days :rolleyes:

I found Ghee at Sprouts.  If you don't have one close, I have read it is pretty easy to make.

Ghee is clarified butter. The clarification process removes the dairy, so it's a good alternative to use when cooking and you want a butter flavor.

Betsie

• Administrators

So tomorrow I'll have 1 hard boiled egg and than Parma ham (actually it's not Parma but another brand called 'San Daniele'. I like it better becuse it's less salty) with fennels, cucumbers and maybe carrots. I'll add hazelnuts for fats. I think it'll be ok.

Hi!  Eggs as protein are as many as you can hold without dropping. At least 3-4 for most people.  I'm not sure what parma ham is but if it's prosciutto, you would need an awful lot of it to create a palm width, length and thickness for your protein.  Also, check the ingredients on the ham because if it's a cured ham, chances are it has sugar in it.  Compliant ham is mythical over on this side of the world.

Oh! And I tried to make homemade mayo... and failed miserably :( .

But now my kitchen cabinet has a brand new paint. I'm not sure yellow suits it better than red though  :lol:

I know there's a W30 mayo recipe, but I don't think it's foolproof. I have been using this one for a year now and it's super easy and I have had no failures yet! You do have to use an immersion blender, however. http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

Betsie

Hi!  Eggs as protein are as many as you can hold without dropping. At least 3-4 for most people.  I'm not sure what parma ham is but if it's prosciutto, you would need an awful lot of it to create a palm width, length and thickness for your protein.  Also, check the ingredients on the ham because if it's a cured ham, chances are it has sugar in it.  Compliant ham is mythical over on this side of the world.

Thank you ladyshanny, I red the post about the serving of eggs and tried it today but couldn't eat more than 3 (I can hold four. Five if I feel brave and forget about my floor) but I was thinking to do half and half with Parma ham for tomorrow. You're right it's prosciutto but I have 150 gr and I checked the ingredients and there's no added sugar. :)  We're luckier on this side of the world. ;) Maybe I'll add one more egg. Do you think that would be good? Do you have a suggestion also about the fruit dilemma? 

I know there's a W30 mayo recipe, but I don't think it's foolproof. I have been using this one for a year now and it's super easy and I have had no failures yet! You do have to use an immersion blender, however. http://thehealthyfoodie.com/fail-proof-home-made-paleo-mayo-whole30-compliant/

Betsie

:)  Thank you so much Betsie!

I'm lucky again and I have the immersion blender too! I'll try it tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes!

• Administrators

Thank you ladyshanny, I red the post about the serving of eggs and tried it today but couldn't eat more than 3 (I can hold four. Five if I feel brave and forget about my floor) but I was thinking to do half and half with Parma ham for tomorrow. You're right it's prosciutto but I have 150 gr and I checked the ingredients and there's no added sugar. :)  We're luckier on this side of the world. ;) Maybe I'll add one more egg. Do you think that would be good? Do you have a suggestion also about the fruit dilemma? 

How does "150g" relate to the size of your palm? Sorry, I don't generally know how much that would be as I haven't weighed food in ages.  When you stack the prosciutto up it should be at least the size of the palm of your hand including the thickness.  Do be advised though that prosciuitto is more fat than protein so you probably either need the eggs still or you need a meat that is a bit more dense in the protein department.

As far as fruit, yes, it is natural to want to eat more in the summer. No, it is not recommended to eat "4 peaches, a bunch of cherries and some apricots every day".  ;)  Eat your servings of fruit with your main meals and only after you've had a proper amount of vegetables, protein and fat.  No snacking on fruit by itself unless you are interested in the blood sugar spike and eventual crash.  ;)  

Oh! And I tried to make homemade mayo... and failed miserably :( .

But now my kitchen cabinet has a brand new paint. I'm not sure yellow suits it better than red though  :lol:

Don't give up. This is my second go around and I felt defeated because I couldn't make that darn mayo!! I tried tons of different methods and it wasn't until I got a handblender and used the fail proof method that it worked. I wish I would have invested in a handblender earlier in my first Whole 30 because I love being able to make Tuna salad for lunch now and all that wasted expensive oil! 

Nickie make sure to get your fats in with each meal! It truly does make a difference! Don't be scared  :D my first round I had 10 olives or a whole avocado with pretty much every meal and lost over 12 pounds :)

I forgot to add that I had Cashews at lunch. I am learning not to be limited of the fats! This is my second Whole 30. My first I lost 7.6lbs which was amazing and I ate a lot of bacon. This time around I really want to focus on the meal template and try not to lean on fruit to feed the sugar dragon... I still have issues with binging on compliant foods... so that is my goal. 

So far, so good on this first day.  But I really want a Werther's hard candy!!  Ugh!!  :wacko:

My altoid and cinnamon candy habit was a hard one for me on my first round! But now it has been over two months since I have had candy, gum, or pop! Don't have a single craving for it anymore.

Ghee is pretty much clarified butter and found in the Indian section of the ethnic aisle at big grocery stores :) it is sooooo good melted with franks red hot to make a buffalo sauce!

Archived