Starting July 13th

Nickiechan

Hi Case! I'm on instagram too to keep myself accountable. I know its a little silly but it definitely gives me a reward seeing other people 'like' the meals I put together and its a way of keeping me motivated. I just followed you and I don't mean to pry but goodness, your home is absolutely beautiful! I'm @bringbacklittleJ if anybody is interested.

For those who have asked, I think the best bits of meal prep I did this weekend was making a few sauces (some from the Whole 30 book if you have it) to make sure that even if I end up eating a grilled chicken salad, I won't get bored. I also bought some pumpkin seeds and toasted them in a little coconut oil, paprika and lime juice and roasted a huge tray of veggies for lunches through the week.

Nickie chan - I really hope you manage to find something at the restaurant tonight, I notice you said that you're tired of resetting and it must be hard to have to think about making that choice after day 1. However, if you do reset at least you will still be pretty much at the same stage of the rest of us for support :)

I've just noticed I'm totally overspamming this page... maybe I should pipe down a bit!

Thank you so much!! I meant to post those on my personal Instagram, but they ended up there by accident. Now all my Whole30 can enjoy! :D 

Day 1 is going great! I had southwest scrambled eggs with homemade pico, spinach and cherries with black coffee. I didn't finish the spinach. I will cook them in the eggs next time. 

Meal 2: No fuss salmon patties, homemade tartar and a half of peach. Ya'll!!! Those salmon patties are SO good!! You must try them.

Ran 5 miles today, and plan on making zuchinni spaghetti tonight which is something we normally have anyway. I will just be making the sauce rather than using jarred salsa. I think it will be tasty! 

I am excited to actually be starting the program! :D

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm so pleased to see so much participation in the forum for July 13th! Day 1 complete here.

M1: Bolognaise sauce with minced beef, a cup of roasted sweet potato and broccoli

M2: 2 grilled pork loin steaks with roasted veggies, spiced applesauce and green canarian mojo sauce

M3: grilled chicken salad with raspberry walnut vinaigrette

I admit to snacking on paprika lime pumpkin seeds at work to satisfy my mindless eating cravings... And I had a banana before M3 on my way to ballet class.

I think my portions were way too big today, I struggled to eat lunch and dinner was a lot later than usual so I will cut them down a little tomorrow and see if that feels more comfortable.

I was a bit jealous of my boyfriend having a glass of orange squash with dinner and a cookie in the evening when we were chilling this evening...

I hope everyone's day 1 goes well!

So happy to join this forum - I was alternating between totally enthused and a bit sad about starting whole30 this time around (sad about giving up some of my favorite things). I kind of eased into starting today by being 95% compliant on sat and sun, and reading this forum has given me the boost I needed take up the challenge for the third time!

M1: 2 eggs with chocolate chili, wilted cruciferous mix, and mango salsa - coffee with some coconut milk

M2: grilled chili lime chicken thigh w/mango salsa, mixed cabbage slaw - Kombucha/Sparkling water

M3: bay shrimp salad with mango salsa and avocado - feeling much more upbeat!

Happy day one!

I am nearing the end of day 1.  Overall, it was pretty smooth.  I had a slight headache and the cravings started late afternoon, but I didn't give in.  I listed my meals today earlier, but added a couple things, so I am going to post it again in case anyone has any advice on what I ate since I'm new to this.  I kind of feel like I overate, not sure why though lol

Pre-meal: I ate a hard-boiled egg an hour after getting up because I wasn't ready for breakfast yet, but knew I should eat something.

Meal 1: Sweet potato breakfast casserole and fruit (strawberries, kiwi, blueberries).  Black coffee.

I had one more cup of black coffee between M1 and M2.

Meal 2: Sweet potato and sausage hash with 1/2 avocado, organic green grapes. 

Because I knew it'd be a late dinner, I had a late afternoon snack of baby carrots and almond butter.

I then went to water aerobics.

Meal 3: Turkey chili with sliced avocado; spinach salad with a few blueberries, hard boiled egg, avocado, and homemade Italian vinagerette.

I never really got hungry through the day, but did drink a gallon of water which I think helped.  Even though today overall went fairly smooth, I know not everyday will be this easy.  It definitely helps to prepare in advance too.  That was a lifesaver today!

This morning I woke up feeling pretty good. No headaches (for which I'm very grateful). No changes morning routine yet. Obviously.

I wasn't hungry right when I woke up but while I was hard boiling my eggs that changed and I ended up eating the 2 eggs I planned yesterday...and than went back for another! The last bite I had to wrap up in Parma ham because it was beginning to feel like too much eggs but I didn't have to force them down today. :) So hooray for hard boiled eggs! :D (You know, I have a feeling it has something to do with eating with my hands instead of cutlery)

After my eggs I ate 4 or 5 slices of Parma ham (4 Ladyshanny, I really am not sure but I think a hand-sized portion of ham is around 80g. About the fat-protein contents, thank you for the warning, I'll try to keep it in mind :) ) and a side of cucumber and fennel as planned. I added a peach ( :wub: ) and some hazelnut. I usually drink a cup of milk for breakfast but I found out that I'm good without it too and I had only plain water. (I would have preferred my son's juice...and it was 100% orange...but I wanted my peach more :D )

I'm not sure what I'll have today at lunch but, on the off chance that I come home starving, I have 3 other hard boiled eggs and veggies to my heart content. For dinner we'll have octopus with potatoes.

Have a nice day!! :)

Don't give up. This is my second go around and I felt defeated because I couldn't make that darn mayo!! I tried tons of different methods and it wasn't until I got a handblender and used the fail proof method that it worked. I wish I would have invested in a handblender earlier in my first Whole 30 because I love being able to make Tuna salad for lunch now and all that wasted expensive oil! 

For the mayo, I've only had luck using an immersion blender. Also, the egg really needs to be at room temperature. I usually put it in warm water for 15 minutes or so. Other than that, you should be good to go!

Thank you for your support! I won't give up! :D

Hi - I am starting on July 13 too. This is my first time; just got The Whole 30 book so reading through and getting ready. Will also be starting the Advanced Whole Life Challenge on July 18; I think this will add some additional support. I am pretty much doing this on my own - husband is not interested and due to travel/work schedule I don't have a lot of friends close by so am reaching out to this community for support.

Good luck everyone!

Hi Peggy,

I'm in the same boat. I started yesterday and this is my first one. My husband is not ready to commit to it with me and we just moved so I don't have a support system around me. First day went well for me. Today I'm on a quest to find sugar free bacon :). Good luck!

Jeanne

Good Morning everyone... and good morning day 2! 

Did pretty well yesterday evening. I have 2 small children one I am still nursing, so she is needy when she I come home from work. I often get upset as I'm grazing in the evenings. I really cannot sit down and enjoy my plated meal. It was like that with my last Whole 30. I know that I should focus and sit and enjoy my meal, but when you have children screaming they are thirsty, or they don't want the red plate... it is so hard. I also made a starchy veggie with yesterdays meal on top of the zucchini. I was feeling very sluggish and weak yesterday. I am just coming off of AF and with nursing my daughter I really feel it helps.

Meal 1:

3 Eggs

Peppers & Onions

Dates & Almonds

Meal 2:

Chicken

Spinach

Cherry Tomatoes

Almonds

Mashed potatoes - ghee and coconut milk

Meal 3:

Hamburger with lettuce bun with tons of toppings

Left over mashed potatoes

Left over Cucumber Slaw - no sugar

Fruit salad

Hope everyone has a great day! 

Its day two! I made it!

I had to go back to the store and buy tuna and beef broth without the soy ~ and the light tasting olive oil to try mayonaisse later, and also got some salmon and canned sweet potatos to make some salmon cakes today. 

We had the bean free chili last ight for dinner and it was quite good. I did not miss the beans at all. My husband even liked it. 

My first big challenge will be at a family barbeque this weekend. Lots of temptation! My plan is to bring stuff I can eat. And there will be meat there. oy.  At the end of this month I have a high school reunion out of town so that will be another challenge. I thought of waititng until it was over before beginning the whole30,  but I was ready and tired of feeling crappy. I have a lot of issues with inflamation and fatigue as well as weight. My doctor says my blood sugar was high. I am a  mess! 

I told my husband that I needed to make a serious change and he is supportive. - he does the shopping ( so really he went back to the store haha ) and shares the cooking. I did not weigh myself at the beginning. But I did take pictures, as well as pictures of my knees, one of which has chronic inflammation. So thats me:) 58 and forging a new path. 

Day 3 for me today - I'm one day ahead of you all.  Haven't felt hungry yet and yesterday's headache is a little less today.  Had lots of energy last night - went on a 30 minute bike ride and did all of my PT exercises (I had a major hip surgery in Feb.).  So far so good!!!  I forgot to take pics and did this morning - ugh - hopefully they will be my motivator!!!  Have a great day everyone :)

• Moderators

Good Morning everyone... and good morning day 2!

Did pretty well yesterday evening. I have 2 small children one I am still nursing, so she is needy when she I come home from work. I often get upset as I'm grazing in the evenings. I really cannot sit down and enjoy my plated meal. It was like that with my last Whole 30. I know that I should focus and sit and enjoy my meal, but when you have children screaming they are thirsty, or they don't want the red plate... it is so hard. I also made a starchy veggie with yesterdays meal on top of the zucchini. I was feeling very sluggish and weak yesterday. I am just coming off of AF and with nursing my daughter I really feel it helps.

Meal 1:

3 Eggs

Peppers & Onions

Dates & Almonds

Meal 2:

Chicken

Spinach

Cherry Tomatoes

Almonds

Mashed potatoes - ghee and coconut milk

Meal 3:

Hamburger with lettuce bun with tons of toppings

Left over mashed potatoes

Left over Cucumber Slaw - no sugar

Fruit salad

Hope everyone has a great day!

It's usually recommended that nursing mothers have four full meals each day. Your body needs the extra energy and nutrients. You might also need more than One serving of starchy vegetables each day, and definitely don't skimp on the fat servings at your meals.

Its day two! I made it!

I had to go back to the store and buy tuna and beef broth without the soy ~ and the light tasting olive oil to try mayonaisse later, and also got some salmon and canned sweet potatos to make some salmon cakes today. 

We had the bean free chili last ight for dinner and it was quite good. I did not miss the beans at all. My husband even liked it. 

My first big challenge will be at a family barbeque this weekend. Lots of temptation! My plan is to bring stuff I can eat. And there will be meat there. oy.  At the end of this month I have a high school reunion out of town so that will be another challenge. I thought of waititng until it was over before beginning the whole30,  but I was ready and tired of feeling crappy. I have a lot of issues with inflamation and fatigue as well as weight. My doctor says my blood sugar was high. I am a  mess! 

I told my husband that I needed to make a serious change and he is supportive. - he does the shopping ( so really he went back to the store haha ) and shares the cooking. I did not weigh myself at the beginning. But I did take pictures, as well as pictures of my knees, one of which has chronic inflammation. So thats me:) 58 and forging a new path. 

You are going to feel sooo much better once you get used to this lifestyle! I was in your same boat two years ago when I stumbled into Paleo and learned how food really works in my body. You're going to do fine at the BBQ if you plan ahead and take good food for you and you'll really feel better by the time the reunion comes along and you won't want to eat cake, etc. Keep on keepin on! :)

Betsie

It's usually recommended that nursing mothers have four full meals each day. Your body needs the extra energy and nutrients. You might also need more than One serving of starchy vegetables each day, and definitely don't skimp on the fat servings at your meals.

Thank you for the advice. So far I'm feeling good. I'm only part-time nursing as she is older (15 months) and I find that having a starchy veggie at dinner has helped with sluggish feeling. Before I felt weak and off with sugar crashes and such with nursing. I don't get this way with eating this way. I've been making sure to up my leafy greens too to help with supply. I'm not really worried about my supply, but I know I need to intake lots of green leafs. 

Day 2, and I'm not feeling very good this morning. I have a bad headache and feel sluggish and weak. I also had some diarrhea late last night (sorry if that's TMI). So as of right now I'm struggling, but will keep on going.

Day 2, and I'm not feeling very good this morning. I have a bad headache and feel sluggish and weak. I also had some diarrhea late last night (sorry if that's TMI). So as of right now I'm struggling, but will keep on going.

Fellow Coloradan - I'm sorry you're not feeling well today. It's hard to think about eating right when you don't feel well, but hang in there because it will get better. Maybe some soup would be a good idea today?

Betsie

Fellow Coloradan - I'm sorry you're not feeling well today. It's hard to think about eating right when you don't feel well, but hang in there because it will get better. Maybe some soup would be a good idea today?

Betsie

Thanks Betsie.  The headache is a little better, still not very hungry, but I'm eating breakfast now.  I'm having some sweet potato breakfast casserole with some blueberries and kiwi.  The headache is kind of expected as I quit Diet Pepsi cold turkey, and I was a heavy Diet Pepsi drinker, so that's what I get I guess  :rolleyes:  I wasn't expecting the stomach issues, so not sure where that came from.  I hope it wasn't the chili I made last night because I had planned for that to get me through several meals throughout the week.  

marthab, one trick i learned in social situations during my first W30 was to go up to the bar immediately and grab a club soda and lime. Then no one will even know you aren't having a drink. This might come in handy at your BBQ or reunion. It worked for me when hanging out with some of my rowdy friends and they had no idea i wasn't drinking!

Day 2 and I had a very slight headache this morning.  Nothing too bad.  Day 1 went without a hitch.  I feel pretty good today.  I'm working very hard on planning my food for the day.  I have a slight unplanned disruption today.  I have to pick up my cousin from the airport at 3, so I'm trying to plan around that.  By the time I pick her up and take her home and get back to my house, it's probably going to be around 5 or so.  I'm gonna try to make something somewhat quick for dinner tonight with grass fed ground beef.  I just don't want to get myself in a situation where I get too hungry before dinner.  That's when I am so tempted to snack on less than desirable junk.  

My dear mayo supporters... I DID IT!!! :)

After the swimming pool, this afternoon we made a quick trip to the supermarket and I bought olive oil (I only have EVO at home) and hamburger in case the octopus I made for dinner wasn't good. (Well, what do you know? It wasn't half bad!)

And after dinner I tried again with the mayo and this time I did it!

I can't wait for tomorrow morning to have it with breakfast. I'll have 2 eggs and some leftover hamburger (Hubby and son aren't fond of octopus so they just tried it and than ate hamburgers).

I'm hoping for another day with no headaches

I didn't feel as bad today as I did on my first whole 30 although I had a slight headache this morning. I've been downing plenty of water flavoured with freshly squeezed lime juice & that seemed to help.

M1: bolognaise, sweet potato, broccoli

M2: 1 pork loin steak, roasted vegetables, spiced apple sauce, green mojo sauce

M3: coconut curry chicken with cauliflower rice.

I snacked on my paprika lime pumpkin seeds all day today and ate wayyyy too many. It was so mindless and after I finished I felt like I'd cheated even though they were compliant. I'm not making them again since they seem to be a 'food with no brakes' for me.

On a brighter note, my boyfriend LOVED tonight's dinner - he said it was one of the top 5 things I'd ever made for him! He had no idea what the 'rice' was. I'm doing more meal prep than I did last time around but I think it's worth it because my meals are more enjoyable and I think I feel less deprived (...but it's still only day 2 so maybe too soon to tell on that front!)

Hope everyone else is still on board and on track :)

I'm at the start of day 4 today and don't feel as tired (or as disorganised!) as I did on my first whole30.  I feel full from a large breakfast of eggs, sauté potatoes and mushrooms and have got myself into a routine of eggs for breakfast, fish for lunch and meat for tea.  Previously a big lover of variety of foods I've found the regularity of having very similar groups of things for each meal to be more than reassuring and not at all boring as I might have thought pre whole30.  There is lots of variety within the day but each day follows a similar format.

Last time I think I ate way to many nuts though! This time round i'm working on having my fat sources from the plentiful avacado season or olives.  So far that's working quite well.

Really enjoying reading everyone else's posts.  Thanks ! It seems that Whole30 has yet to catch on big time here in the UK - there are a couple of blogs that I've followed of people who've done it previously here which has helped with translating US food to UK equivalents.   For anyone else in the UK www.naturallyleah.com has done a few whole30s and http://www.myfussyeater.com/whole30-uk-shopping-list/has a UK based shopping list based on her whole30 experience which i've found useful.

Goodmorning everybody.

Today I woke up feeling like somthing run me down while I was sleeping. Something huge.

I still feel tired and sluggish and I'd really like to go back to bed.

This morning I ate 2 hard boiled eggs and some leftover hamburger with 2 carrots, some fennel and leftover potatoes. As fats I added 1 tbsp of mayo and a handful of hazelnut. I was so tired I forgot my peach.

It just really dawned on me what I engaged myself in. And I'm getting kind of worried.

I'm still grateful for small blessing as no headaches today too.

Have a nice day  :)

Archived