Spindrift Seltzer

slc

Hi,

I've noticed the popularity of La Croix especially with Whole 30 instagrammers however Trader Joe's didn't carry it so I found something else there called Spindrift Seltzer. The drink is advertised as no sugar added and the ingredients are: sparkling water, raspberry puree, raspberry juice, fresh squeezed lime juice, natural flavor, fruit and vegetable juice for coloring.

Link to the site: http://www.spindriftfresh.com/seltzer/

I have a couple questions about the ingredients, the lime juice was listed as fresh squeezed but the raspberry juice is just listed as raspberry juice (could this mean that there could be hidden sugar or would they have to list that out as a seperate component) same goes for raspberry puree is it okay to assume that raspberry puree is just mashed up raspberry with no added sugar? Additionally the nutrition label reads 2 grams of sugar, could this be the sugar that is naturally from raspberries?

Thank you!

Sarah

• Moderators

Hi, Sarah!

I think these are probably okay. For the questions you asked: I think raspberry juice isn't listed as fresh squeezed because it isn't so much "squeezed" as "juiced" (probably more like squished and strained -- but who wants to drink something described as squished and strained?). It's just the difference in the way you juice citrus vs. the way you juice other fruit. In general, if they add sugar, they have to list it in the ingredients -- so I doubt there's any added in the juice or the puree. The 2 g sugar is probably from the raspberry puree and the fruit juices.

Do drink plenty of plain water every day, and treat these as something to have occasionally for a change of pace, and do pay attention to how you feel when you have them -- if they're sweet-tasting, they may keep your sugar dragon alive and kicking, and if you have a soda addiction of any sort, they may feed that.

Trader Joe's has several flavors of sparkling water as well - plain but also with lime, lemon, raspberry, orange and maybe one more? They're very similar to La Croix, just in 32oz bottles instead of 12oz cans.

La Croix is also available at a lot of chain grocers like Kroger's, Albertson's, etc. I don't have a Publix in my neck of the woods, but they seem to be another well-stocked chain and I would imagine that they carry them as well.

Like Shannon said, I would be careful with these and use them as something special and not necessarily as a daily beverage. Personally, I don't keep juice in my house except for lemon and lime. We make infused water on occasion and often have La Croix, but something like the raspberry Spindrift is creeping a little too close to the realm of soda for my liking. The lemon seltzer and the cucumber seltzer I'd feel better about drinking.

Thank you everyone for your help! I've been kind of paranoid about checking labels not wanting to break my Whole 30 and glad to hear that nutrition labels must list sugar as an ingredient if it is! I'll also visit the stores suggested for La Croix! :)

Archived