Shelf life of ranch dressing vs mayo

Hi there

I am just a bit confused -according to the Whole30 book, the mayo should last about 7 days after the best before date on the eggs, but the ranch dressing only lasts 2-3 days in the fridge. Is this because the ranch dressing has fresh parsley in it? I left out the parsley for this reason, but now I am thinking it is because of the coconut cream, in which case I have half a batch of ranch dressing heading for the bin :(

Thanks!

• Administrators

Coconut milk/cream lasts in the fridge at my house for nearly 10 days.  Ranch dressing in my fridge lasts in my house about 10 minutes.  If you're worried, make the batch of mayo per normal and then take half of it and season it as ranch. That way you have a lot less to worry about.  But....I've never had ranch dressing go bad.  My guess is the reason is the parsley though.  You could always use dried parsley to avoid that problem.

My understanding is that the mayo should be good until the expiration date of your eggs. And I second what ladyshanny suggested, to only make up a small bit of ranch at a time. I've convinced my kids that "ranch" is just mayo with a little fresh lemon and dried dill. Easy to mix up as needed and adds plenty of flavor. Don't feel you have to abide by anybody's recipe- just play around with flavor a you like.

Archived