Fueling for first Triathlon - Need some help please

janeroyal

Signed up for local all women's triathlon to raise money for cancer last fall.  January I decided to begin Paleo eating program.  March 1st did my first Whole30 with a restart after I realized soy was in my tuna.  Finished April 15th.  I've dropped 35 pounds since January, I tell friends that the weight is just falling off, and it is.

Have been training in earnest since May 1.  Swimming, biking and run/walking.

Can anyone help me with fueling for this event which is July 26th?  I'm doing o.k. with hydration.  Coconut water mixed with tap water.  Not sure what to eat beforehand that won't be heavy in my stomach.  What works for others??

Signed up for local all women's triathlon 26th?  ...

I'm doing o.k. with hydration.  Coconut water mixed with tap water.  Not sure what to eat beforehand that won't be heavy in my stomach.  What works for others??

What distance Tri are you doing? and what time do you hit the water?

You'll have to test out how much your belly can take since everyone is different. 

For me, I would get up early enough to eat a solid breakfast 2'ish hours before hand. That way you get all the energy and it is mostly digested before you hit the water. A full meal of protein and fat and veggies (but non-carby - want to keep the fat burning going!). Be sure to include carby veggies in your meals the day before though, to top off your glycogen stores. 

If I got hungry before my wave I'd have a hard boiled egg up to 30 minutes before the gun (not any closer than that or I get heartburn/acid reflux during the swim).

Some people just can't take in that much food prior but it seems to be fine for me. The secret is you want your stomach mostly empty before you go horizontal to swim.  Like I said you'd have to test out what will work for you - it may be you can only do a couple of eggs. Or eggs don't work and you do better on chicken.  Helps to practice eating and then go for an ocean swim or pool session and see how you do.    If you can, try to get out and do a mock-tri this weekend with slightly shorter distances and not at race pace. Good news is its a sprint distance so if you can only manage 1 egg you'll still do fine. May be a little bonky by the run but you'll make it through.

BE SURE to eat right afterward though. Post workout protein and carbs - keep a small cooler in transition if you need to. You're going to need it! 

Good luck! 

Archived